Mass Effect: Andromeda - Autism reaches outer space

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Haven't played this so I'm a perfect person to make some commentary on it.

Bioware has been doing the romance angle for literally 20 years at this point; getting antsy about it is silly. Unless they drastically changed how they work those scenes, there's always an option for "nah dude, I'm cool." regardless of who you are interacting with. It was there in all the Dragon Age games, in all the Kotors, and in all the previous ME's.

That said, the animations from an outside perspective look derpy as fuck, and the voice acting in the "meme worthy" scenes is pretty terribad. In normal play it most likely doesn't stand out, but even the first KOTOR game back in 2002 had more emotion/activity in the faces of the characters. Voice actors.... eh, they've been hit or miss for years. If the majority of ME:A is miss, then hey, it's a miss. But it isn't like they had stellar voice actors across the board in previous products.

Granted, I still have no real desire to purchase this. Maybe, like some others have said, when the "complete" version comes out on a sale or something.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ass Effect

v6ud9wkh4tqy.jpg

• 15Like
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 15 users

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Haven't played this so I'm a perfect person to make some commentary on it.

Bioware has been doing the romance angle for literally 20 years at this point; getting antsy about it is silly. Unless they drastically changed how they work those scenes, there's always an option for "nah dude, I'm cool." regardless of who you are interacting with. It was there in all the Dragon Age games, in all the Kotors, and in all the previous ME's.

That said, the animations from an outside perspective look derpy as fuck, and the voice acting in the "meme worthy" scenes is pretty terribad. In normal play it most likely doesn't stand out, but even the first KOTOR game back in 2002 had more emotion/activity in the faces of the characters. Voice actors.... eh, they've been hit or miss for years. If the majority of ME:A is miss, then hey, it's a miss. But it isn't like they had stellar voice actors across the board in previous products.

Granted, I still have no real desire to purchase this. Maybe, like some others have said, when the "complete" version comes out on a sale or something.

Since you haven't played it wouldn't know this but when people talk about shitty romances and terrible voice acting they aren't coming to that conclusion based on other developers or game series, they are comparing it to previous Bioware games. The voice acting isn't just bad, it's bad for a BioWare game and it's a consistent awfulness.

As far as romances, yes Bioware has been doing this for twenty years, which makes it all the more ridiculous that these are some of the worst, most hamfisted, relationships in any game they've ever made. You can literally start fucking telling people how much you care about them within minutes of meeting them. They are awful even by Bioware standards and even people who have enjoyed relationships in previous games think they are shit. Instead of concentrating on a few and making both the characters and relationships meaningful or impactful they decided to go with the space whore, you can fuck everybody, but won't care about anyone angle.

Here's my tip for enjoying ME:Am Soak in the much deserved criticism about virtually every aspect of the game and when your expectations are so fucking low that you couldn't possibly expect anything good to come from playing it go ahead and play it. Maybe, just maybe, when you expect less from this AAA disaster than an early access survival game on Steam, you might find some redeeming value in this game. I doubt it, but just maybe.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Here's my tip for enjoying ME:Am Soak in the much deserved criticism about virtually every aspect of the game and when your expectations are so fucking low that you couldn't possibly expect anything good to come from playing it go ahead and play it. Maybe, just maybe, when you expect less from this AAA disaster than an early access survival game on Steam, you might find some redeeming value in this game. I doubt it, but just maybe.

Or, just stop buying/playing BioWare games. I know I don't miss 'em.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Or, just stop buying/playing BioWare games. I know I don't miss 'em.

There will never be a buy day one for me with this name stamp ever again. Watch though as the new dragon age gets announced at E3 and this ridiculous fanboy / hype cycle gets started all over again

• 2Solidarity

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Just finished, Did every companion mission and every non generic side quest before beating the game.

It fucking sucked. That ending was the most boring cliche hurried shit i've ever seen in an RPG. The game really nose dives when you get past the initial planet settling arc.

I knew the game was mediocre from the start but that ending was brutal.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Are saturday morning cartoons still a thing?

I bet they're not.

Fucking internet. I mean mostly, you know, the internet is a good thing. But Saturday morning cartoons man.

Now you can just see cartoons whenever you fucking want to. Shit ain't right. Not when you're six.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
There will never be a buy day one for me with this name stamp ever again. Watch though as the new dragon age gets announced at E3 and this ridiculous fanboy / hype cycle gets started all over again

I have a feeling that Dragon Age is a bigger thing than Mass Effect.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As bad as the early parts are, a_skeleton_02' post is spot on about the end. I haven't actually finished it (P5 arrived and I wasn't about to delay playing that by even a couple hours to wrap up this abomination) but the stuff leading up to the finale makes the first couple planets look like ME2 by comparison.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Hell, even define "Space kick" and we can help you out. Shooter, RPG, something like Privateer? Name it. We can help. This is NOT your space kick. Trust us. For we are the chosen ones.

spronk

FPS noob
If you didn't play them last fall, both the Titanfall 2 and COD:Infinite Warfare single player campaigns are absolute fantastic sci fi stories, only 8-10 hours each so not that long and not bogged down by worthless fetch quests and stuff

its sad to hear ME:A gets worse over time, I thought the first planet was total shit in the trial so thats disheartening to hear. I'll play eventually, when its on Origin free access or whatever. Which I expect in under six months.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I wanted a space kick this weekend so I played Space Marine and Force Unleashed instead of buying Mass Effect. Both had better animations, settings and stories than Andromeda.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I wanted a space kick this weekend so I played Space Marine and Force Unleashed instead of buying Mass Effect. Both had better animations, settings and stories than Andromeda.

I should really play more Space Marine :( Been sitting on my Steam account for years.

• 1Like