Cybsled

Pilot is up on Youtube (uncensored)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxoEZBjRacU

Interesting watch
wink.png

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if you must be logged in to view that. I assumed by uncensored you meant f-bombs, but there are titties, and it's not some artsy BS that might sneak past the youtube filter.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Watched it - really like it. Kinda wish I had Showtime. I know it'll be dramatized (although they don't really have to add much to the real story...) but even so, I'll have to put this on my Amazon list.

Added bonus the dude playing Masters was Lucian in the Underground movie series, whom I enjoyed.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Listened to an interview about this show on "Fresh Air" a couple weeks ago. It sounds like an interesting story. I'm planning to watch.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
edit: Sorry, the first time I pulled a search I didn't see the original post because it wasn't highlighted, even though I've never clicked on the thread. I completely missed it. It only has 3 posts in it, but it has the youtube link to the pilot that I'll cross post here just in case we keep this thread or not. Mods, do what you want with this - like I said, sorry. Accidental repost.

Original YouTube pilot link from Cybsled's thread -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxoEZBjRacU

So the pilot premiered very recently on SHOtime and the second episode of the season was up this weekend I believe. I only caught the first episode and will be watching the second tomorrow.

My impressions so far are overall positive. First of all, the production value is there and it's not completely overdone to compensate for the fact that this story took place in past generations - what I mean by that is, there are definitely some shows that try way too hard to sell the roaring 20s vibe and shove it in your face while smearing rubbish modern bullshit all over it. This show doesn't seem to do any of that and captures it quite nicely and quaintly. It feels right and the atmosphere is there. Lizzy Caplan was bothersome to me at first, mostly because I wasn't sure she could pull this role off in a serious way that it called for but I was entirely wrong. She does a fantastic job. The actor portraying Masters is phenomenal and has fantastic presence in general.

It's also got a decent amount of underlying comedy and a weird drama undertone revovling around Virginia's personal life in regards to her schooling and kids - but it's too early to tell how much of the show is going to be spent on these things. It's a necessary part of the storytelling process in this regard, however, so it makes sense that they take the time to go through it properly but I'm just hoping it doesn't swing too hard and take up too much screentime.

So only 2 episodes in, but I think this show has potential to produce a fantastic first season - depending on how much of the story they tell in the first season and what they do with it, they could definitely squeeze another couple of seasons out of it but I'm not sure how much is there, to be honest with you. Hollywood is fantastic at stretching things that seemingly could be told in 30 minutes and end up being 3 hours, so we'll see.

Overall, I recommend checking it out.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I have found it kind of boring and hard to get through, but that is partially my fault because I have been watching it at 11 PM after watching football and Homeland. I didn't watch last night's episode so I can see it when I'm less sleepy and give it more of a chance.

Lina_sl

shitlord
I'm digging this so far.

Not the main characters, but the Masters' underlings and the whorehouse stuff.

Also, count me as an ignorant fool, but I had to go read about the real life stuff this comes from.

Plus, I don't like the main character.

At first, he came across as some sort of Midwest James Bond OBGYN in the 60's, but with the looks of Michael Sheen.

(I am shallow.)

Then we find out that...

He was infertile and not his wife and he had not the balls to let her know? WTF?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I'm caught up on the show now and I like it, but it could be a lot better. It's a fascinating story and the two main characters are great, but the supporting cast not so much. Mainly I have trouble with the attempts at humor. There are plenty of awkward situations that should be funny, but apparently no one on this show can write or sell a joke because all of the attempts at comedy just fall flat for me. The opening with all the sexual imagery seems sort of hacky as well, like something that was thought up by somebody that thinks they're funny but isn't. That said, it's not a comedy show, so it's still enjoyable for me, but I wish they would just stop trying with the jokes.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
The opening also is ridiculously similar to Dexter's opening credits as well. I mean, same network but holy fuck - it's stylized the exact same way.