Masters of the Air

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What retard chose the army bombers of Europe over the naval combat pilots of the Pacific? Hanks & Spielberg didn't want to spend the money to make a decent show?
My guess would be that they thought the American Army Air Force in WW2 having the highest casualty rate of any US force in the war while also enjoying the best conditions in their downtime would lead to good story telling. There should be compelling and interesting stories to tell, as the Memphis Belle movie demonstrated, but it sounds like the writers just weren't up to the task, or there isn't enough variation to make up a 9 hour long TV show.

Also, a Navy show would (possibly) be awesome, but it may be too impractical to even build the non-CGI side of the the sets, let alone making realistic CGI naval battles.

Last edited:

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I like it but I am into all segments of the European theater.

Usually this type of series/movie is always going to be about sacrifice. Memphis Belle was the same thing - these guys got their asses kicked in 1943, especially when they started daylight bombings over Berlin. But overall I am happy with the show so far - it's being true to the original non-fictional characters here as well. In the 1st episode though I was waiting for a Rudy like character to be flailing about in a shot out ball turret.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This show is great. The Tuskegee airmen stuff has been good and I am glad they included it.

I don't think anything will ever top Band of Brothers, but this is a fine addition to the catalogue.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
This show is great. The Tuskegee airmen stuff has been good and I am glad they included it.

Lol they were introduced for one episode and barely featured in the finale.

I'm the least "OMG so woke" person here but this was clearly a diversity box ticking episode because they didn't want to make an accurate historical drama without any black pilots

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Hey look, dumb Brit who doesn't understand history weighed in.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Did they pull out the TUSKEEEEEGEEEE AIRMAAAANS, the CRASH AND CONCENTRATION CAMP SCENE, or the TEAM UP WITH THE BUXOMY COMMUNIST IN THE FRENCH RESISTANCE yet?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Did they pull out the TUSKEEEEEGEEEE AIRMAAAANS,

Yes, in the penultimate episode, then they didn't get any lines of dialogue in the finale and the focus shifted back to the usual cast. They even got "what happened after the war" updates during the end credits

Hence my previous post of "diversity box ticking" which autistic Khane Khane couldn't grasp

Last edited:

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol they were introduced for one episode and barely featured in the finale.

I'm the least "OMG so woke" person here but this was clearly a diversity box ticking episode because they didn't want to make an accurate historical drama without any black pilots
It was historically accurate to show them and their contributions. And, while the the scene with the Nazi interrogator was probably historical fiction, it is the type of message we need to see and hear.

"Why do you fight for a country that treats you so unjustly?"

“Do you know any country that’s better? The U.S. is trying hard to become what it says it’s supposed to be, and when I get back, I’m going to help them do that a lot faster.” -Lt. Richard D. Macon

You can acknowledge history without finger-pointing or being crying victim. And you can acknowledge history without cowering in the shame of it. This show rose above both, which is rare these days.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It was historically accurate to show them and their contributions. And, while the the scene with the Nazi interrogator was probably historical fiction, it is the type of message we need to see and hear.

“Do you know any country that’s better? The U.S. is trying hard to become what it says it’s supposed to be, and when I get back, I’m going to help them do that a lot faster.” -Lt. Richard D. Macon

You can acknowledge history without finger-pointing or being crying victim. And you can acknowledge history without cowering in the shame of it. This show rose above both, which is rare these days.

Did they show tens of thousands of civilians being incinerated?

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

You're missing the point (and talking about stuff I never even referenced lmao)

The show was about the 100th. 9/10 episodes were about this squadron. It was historically accurate for each character to be white because of racial segregation.

In order to actually include black characters they introduced one episode right at the very end to be about some Tuskegee pilots. Then after that episode they went back to focusing on the 100th and the Tuskegee pilots barely got any dialogue in the finale.

Inclusion of the Tuskegee was nothing more than a box ticking exercise in order to hit diversity quotas. They weren't relevant to the main story at all and as quickly as they had their episode they were out again.

It was the literal TV equivalent of diversity hiring.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You're missing the point (and talking about stuff I never even referenced lmao)

The show was about the 100th. 9/10 episodes were about this squadron. It was historically accurate for each character to be white because of racial segregation.

In order to actually include black characters they introduced one episode right at the very end to be about some Tuskegee pilots. Then after that episode they went back to focusing on the 100th and the Tuskegee pilots barely got any dialogue in the finale.

Inclusion of the Tuskegee was nothing more than a box ticking exercise in order to hit diversity quotas. They weren't relevant to the main story at all and as quickly as they had their episode they were out again.

It was the literal TV equivalent of diversity hiring.
Yeah, so?

If you are implying that this show went woke, then I would argue that they did it well. We only got one episode with the Tuskegee crew and it was great. They had well-developed and well-written characters. Contributed to the overall story, and they delivered some awesome messages and moments.

The series felt like it was a 10-episode show that was trimmed down to 9, probably for budgetary reasons. It was one of the most expensive shows of all time. It did feel like they took the final 2 episodes and left half of it on the cutting room floor. I am some of the Tuskegee character's storylines were apart of that cutting.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
If you are implying that this show went woke

Sigh,

"went woke" would have been if they added black pilots to the B17 squadron and desegregated the USAF which wouldn't have been historically accurate for the sake of diversity.

Making a show about the (all white) B17 squadron and including Tuskegee airmen for one episode only was just "lip service" woke or "box ticking" woke. It was them realising that they can't put out a show with an all white cast so they added a bunch of black characters for one episode then ditched them the next episode.

It's the TV equivalent of hiring a black person just for their race and not giving them any actual responsibilities but just keeping them around the office but putting them on every corporate brochure etc etc