MCSE

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have their MCSA or MCSE for Server 2012? What books did you buy to study for it? How were the exams? I can't get my work to send me to a boot camp, but I still want to get it.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
I picked up Windows Server 2012 Unleashed by Morimoto, Noel, etc... I've only been through the first 300 or so pages but it gives a good understanding of the changes, how to migration, and what to expect. Not going for any certs so the book may or may not be a help.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
I picked up Windows Server 2012 Unleashed by Morimoto, Noel, etc... I've only been through the first 300 or so pages but it gives a good understanding of the changes, how to migration, and what to expect. Not going for any certs so the book may or may not be a help.
Cool. I might check that out. I think I might actually get the 2008 MCSE for now but then have a 2012 book around for the future. I'm not sure if many companies are looking for 2012 MCSE's right now, but I know 2008 R2 is still popular.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
I'm actually looking for the same thing. Plan on getting MCSA/MCSE certs so went into Half-Price Books this weekend and all I found were Microsoft published study guides for the MCITP for 2003. Was told by everyone to avoid the Microsoft stuff. Let me know if you find something particular that you settle on. Will do the same.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Used the MCTS Windows Server 2008 R2 Complete study guide by William Panek/Sybex myself. Ultimately, NONE of the books alone will permit you to pass the exam. In fact, none of the books alone with even practical experience will likely allow you to pass the exam. The exam itself is filled with cheese-ball questions that no network admin will ever actually use. Case in point a question I had on my exam asking how to start a packet capture for specific protocols using network monitor from the command line. Who the fuck would launch/configure network monitor from the command line??

My recipe for passing these dumb exams has always been the same. Have practical experience, reinforce using study guide, BUY Transcender exam. Do exams over and over until you get 100% and understand the reason behind each answer. The Transcender part is key and well worth the money. They are chock full of the same type of cheesy questions you get on the actual exam. This is the methodology I have used for every exam going back to the NT4 days, and I have yet to fail one.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
I went to CED Solutions for all my certs. It's a bootcamp that speeds you through before taking the exam, so you've got to know your stuff before going. Got my full MCITP, Win7, CompTIA's, and VM certs through them.