Media Scraper for TV/Movies

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
So in an effort to get my girlfriend to actually use the Plex server I have running, I'm trying to find a good scraper - the built in Plex one doesn't seem to work that well. I tried MediaScout, which worked great on TV, but skipped about 80% of my Movie library. I'm trying to get Ember Media Manager to work, but makes wild leaps in logic on movie titles, even though they are properly named (for example 13, which is a Jason Statham movie it really wants to force it to be Ocean's Thirteen).

What software do you guys use/recommend?

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I use ember and have no real problems with it. I scrape everything and run the bulk renamer to fix the folder and file names. It helps if you have a folder for each movie. Name the folders "Movie Title (year)" eg: 13 (2010) and it should scrape almost 100%. For TV it's Showname / season 01 / episode 01. For troublesome shows add the year - Castle (2009).

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I use XBMC (same scraper as Plex I would imagine?) and don't rename anything because it used to be that I was still seeding from that directory and didn't want to change anything, and it seems to get about 90% of my stuff without any trouble. TV shows definitely need to be placed in their own directories, and it certainly helps with movies as well, but it isn't mandatory. The only major problems I've had with movies was when I'd download a pack like Hellraiser 1-8, where they were literally named Hellraiser 1, Hellraiser 2...Hellraiser 8. I had to manually add those, but even then when I was doing the search I just had to put Hellraiser 8 and it automatically gave me the correct one as the first choice. It can miss some, most definitely, but not often enough to make me look for anything else. Oh, and it has a hell of a time sometimes with full bluray rips (all the stream folders), but I only did a couple of those just to try them. Fuck 20-50GB for one movie.

Stuff like Castle (2009) was definitely a problem, but once you name one show in the folder it assumes the others are the same.

However, now that I think about it, I might be using a setting where it checks MovieDB (or whatever it is called) instead of IMDB, because that seemed to work better. Perhaps you can choose which service yours uses too?

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I've had zero issues with Plex outside of weird stuff like Formula 1 races. Anything movie or tv it has close to 100% success on.

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
Figured out my issue with Plex - turns out there was a bad DNS entry in the config, and that's why nothing was scrapping - it wasn't getting out to actually access the sites - got everything resolved and up and running.

On a related note - while I was getting it sorted out, I started using Media Center Master - great piece of software, especially the part where it will automatically find subtitles for movies that don't have them.