Men's Fashion

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thats true. I'm 20 minutes from NYC so I suppose there are a lot of options there. I just dont know where to start.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Thats true. I'm 20 minutes from NYC so I suppose there are a lot of options there. I just dont know where to start.
I've never personally done it, but apparently East Asian tailors are the best in the world and are incredibly inexpensive for the quality of garment you get. They often do tours and NYC is a frequent stop. I have no idea where to begin to find them but perhaps someone else here does.

prescient

Silver Knight of the Realm
I've been meaning to get myself at least one nice suit. The ones I have are just meh. $2k I can rationalize spending but 5k I'm not ready to commit to. So what's my best bet at that price range as far as value?
I'd try one of the Hong Kong traveling tailors. There are some very reputable ones that will make you a bespoke suit for $2k. The only downside is that it's a bit of a process. The upside is that you get a high quality suit for less.

Gordon Yao & WW Chan seem to be a favorites of style forum. You can find a pretty good summary of some Hong Kong tailors at styleforum.

WW Chan SF links
http://www.styleforum.net/t/33568/th...tailors-thread

Gordon Yao Thread
http://www.styleforum.net/t/234481/g...5#post_4529011

splorge

I will put a second mention in for Hong Kong Tailors. You cannot go wrong with either of the ones prescient has mentioned, but I will also add Tai Pan Row tailors to the mix.http://www.taipanrow.com/index_main.html

They will be in New York from June 16 to June 21. I personally own 3 suits from these guys and they are top notch. Do yourself a favour and spend some time picking the material, and get a brand that is known for quality.

Rabkorik

I'm in need of some dress shirts (ties are optional but I'd like those as well). I thought about just ordering some slim fit from Amazon -http://www.amazon.com/Calvin-Klein-D...1746320&sr=1-1

The only thing I don't like about those is there aren't many color options.

Is this a good idea or should I do something else? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
For that price seems to be worth a shot. I personally like Brooks Brothers shirts a lot. Charles Tyrwhitt was also recommended by someone on one of the previous pages.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
You can get Calvin Klein from Marshall's for way cheaper than that.

I second (third?) the Charles Tyrwhitt suggestion. They have a ton of shirts on sale for $40 right now.

Superhiro

Anyone ever bought pants from Bonobos? I have the worst time finding business-casual pants for work that look good. The material is either a little funny, or the cut is a little loose, or they wear out within a year. The pants on Bonobos look like the kind of cut I am looking for.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I have a fashion question, but not a clothing one. Mine is about shoes.

I need a comfortable pair of brown leather shoes. I want them to be versatile (IE - Not purely dress), so that I can wear them from anything to going on a walk with my daughter to going to a customer's office to show off prints that they requested. I want something that looks good, but not overly so. They're also likely to suffer some sort of scuffing and I don't want something that I have to throw out if it doesn't look perfect.

I currently wear a type of shoe called Keen. It's an incredibly comfortable leather sneaker. Almost like a hiking shoe, but it's a low top similar to dress. The only issue is that it's definitely a sneaker.
What would you suggest as a half dress half casual type of shoe that's comfortable? Thanks.

Here's a picture of my current shoe:
41np1k6EIML._SX395_.jpg

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I don't disagree. But they did what I needed them to do for 2 1/2 years. I'm finally going to retire them and get something new, which is why I've come to you people for suggestions.

I'll still wear these to do work around the house and retire my old "trash" shoes in the process.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You may have a hard time finding what you want because the "dress sneaker" which was in fashion a few years ago has dropped out of fashion recently -- and hard. More often people prefer to wear some kind of work boot like from Wolverine or Red Wing instead.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ok, how about just a casual dress shoe? That way I could still use it for any sort of social situation without feeling silly.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You could google/amazon something like Cole Haan Sneaker. They still make decent looking leather sneakers which are really comfortable.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
You could maybe look into the shoes that restaurant waiters/waitresses wear. They're generally designed to be extremely sturdy, slip-resistant, and easy to clean while still being comfortable for long periods of standing/walking and looking somewhat decent. They generally come in black but I'm sure you can find other colors if you search a bit.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I got a pair similar to these brown ones at Rockport and they are very comfortable. Almost sneaker comfortable:

rrr_img_32910.jpg

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Check out Ecco. They have a great selection of styles and still trendy/fashionable. I used to be a big fan of Rockports, but for a while thier styling just got terrible.

Ecco's have modern styling and hold up insanely well. And they are more comfortable than most sneakers I have tried. They are pricey, 150-200ish depending... But worth every penny.

We discussed this on FoH at one point, and found we had a bunch of Ecco fans.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Anyone ever bought pants from Bonobos? I have the worst time finding business-casual pants for work that look good. The material is either a little funny, or the cut is a little loose, or they wear out within a year. The pants on Bonobos look like the kind of cut I am looking for.
I believe I have three pair of pants from Bonobos. Used to really like them but the last pair I bought the quality went way down and then it seemed like all they started rolling out was madras and all sorts of fucking ugly shit. Just wanted nice, neutral, classic pants that fit well. Although I do still wear both pair of swim trunks from them, really do like them. Bought during their 50% off sale before last summer.

Will be at the Indochino traveling tailor event in Chicago this weekend, interested to see how it is. Do like the two suits I have from there, but have gained about 20lbs and need to change my measurements. The last jacket had to be remade because it was using the old measurements and it did not fit well at all.

prescient

Ok, how about just a casual dress shoe? That way I could still use it for any sort of social situation without feeling silly.
I'm going to guess that your version of dressed up and mine are way different. So you could do monk straps with jeans, chinos & suits. You can could also get some driving moccasins that are super comfy and wear them with jeans or chinos.