Metroid Dread

Caliane

this vid popped up on youtube for me. echoes alot of my thoughs on metroid, and this.

the guided gameplay of fusion/other m, etc is painful. the talk, talk, talk as well. very contradictory of what made metroid great.

Here, the robot has quick time events for 1 hit kills? ewww.
in fusion X samus was entirely scripted. here its like alien isolation? shit can pop up in the middle of some jumping puzzle? well that just sounds annoying.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crisco

A greasy jar
Since MP Trilogy doesn't seem to be getting a Switch release and the Wii version is wildly overpriced, I started looking into Gamecube copies of MP1 and 2 (I'm not that into 3). And man, the Gamecube versions are wildly overpriced now too. It's absolutely nuts. Plus you may or may not need a Gamecube controller for the Wii to even play them, dunno. I wish there were a virtual console version of them at least. I'm not seeing any good way to replay them and have it be cost-effective.

I kinda regret selling my copies of MP1 and MP2 back in 2010 for $10 each on Amazon. Not because I could have gotten like $60 to $80 for them now, but because $10 x2 wasn't worth it for such good games.
I played 1 and 2 on the wii. You need a gamecube controler. I bought a wireless one that the receiver went into the GameCube port on top. Was a solid experience.

They need to man up and release trilogy for switch despite the issues and costs. Having old games so expensive says there is a demand.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
this vid popped up on youtube for me. echoes alot of my thoughs on metroid, and this.

the guided gameplay of fusion/other m, etc is painful. the talk, talk, talk as well. very contradictory of what made metroid great.

Here, the robot has quick time events for 1 hit kills? ewww.
in fusion X samus was entirely scripted. here its like alien isolation? shit can pop up in the middle of some jumping puzzle? well that just sounds annoying.

It "echoes" your thoughts on Metroid? Badum-pssh! ...I'll show myself out.

I played 1 and 2 on the wii. You need a gamecube controler. I bought a wireless one that the receiver went into the GameCube port on top. Was a solid experience.

They need to man up and release trilogy for switch despite the issues and costs. Having old games so expensive says there is a demand.

Yeah, the demand seems borderline excessive for a lot of PS1/PS2 era games. Though a lot of that is also collectors/whales.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
This got me excited to revisit Metroids that have been brought up here. Played Prime 1 & 2 but don't think 3. And of course the original, the old school GameBoy version, and Super Metroid. All this talk about Zero Mission and Fusion got me wanting to play them.

So Zero Mission is just OG Metroid? With whatever Epilogue slapped on it? Really confused me with everyone talking about ranking Zero Mission vs. Fusion and what-not. Guess we've just retconned Metroid in to having to refer to it as Zero Mission? I'm really just being a salty old gamer though. It has been fun playing it for the first time after God knows how many decades. Get to one of the first tunnels and go, "Oh yeah, I need Ice Beam for that one!" How this shit floats around in my brain after tanker trucks full of Vodka and self abuse I'll never know.

Caliane

This got me excited to revisit Metroids that have been brought up here. Played Prime 1 & 2 but don't think 3. And of course the original, the old school GameBoy version, and Super Metroid. All this talk about Zero Mission and Fusion got me wanting to play them.

So Zero Mission is just OG Metroid? With whatever Epilogue slapped on it? Really confused me with everyone talking about ranking Zero Mission vs. Fusion and what-not. Guess we've just retconned Metroid in to having to refer to it as Zero Mission? I'm really just being a salty old gamer though. It has been fun playing it for the first time after God knows how many decades. Get to one of the first tunnels and go, "Oh yeah, I need Ice Beam for that one!" How this shit floats around in my brain after tanker trucks full of Vodka and self abuse I'll never know.
zero mission is basically a full remake of original Metroid. 2 new zones, new items. graphics/music.

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

The ones you haven't played, in the order I'd prioritize them personally:

Yeah, Zero Mission will all be familiar yet different. It's a great game, well worth playing or even getting 100% in.

If you want to play a Zero Mission 2 (aka direct remake of Metroid 2 in a similar to ZM engine) play AM2R. It's freaking fantastic and very loyal to the source material like ZM is.

Fusion is very different, but it's the furthest along in the story. If you like creeping dread type stories, it has that. Definitely check this out too, though I'd probably put AM2R above it for nostalgias.

Prime 3 is worth a run, though it'll probably have the side effect of making you want to play the other two Primes again which might be more time than you have. It's the weakest of the 3 IMO.

Samus Returns is a remake of Metroid 2 but I don't like it nearly as much as AM2R. It uses the same engine Dread will use so it might be worth a look based on that. YMMV.

Other M is skippable and wasn't made by Nintendo.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I played AM2R back when it first came out and then was pulled down. So I guess it is back up now and a real thing. Pretty sure I have that installer on a drive somewhere.

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I played AM2R back when it first came out and then was pulled down. So I guess it is back up now and a real thing. Pretty sure I have that installer on a drive somewhere.

Yeah, AM2R is complete. Metroid 2 was the second game I ever owned, and the first I was super-into. For me AM2R is much more faithful to it than Samus Returns. After Zero Mission, for a long time I was hoping for a similar thing to happen with M2, since it's the hardest to go back to technology-wise. Got my wish x2, but I was let down by SR because it felt so wildly different. The only thing it really has in common with M2 is general world layout and the metroid fights/locations. Gameplay is totally different and they jacked up the difficulty. AM2R on the other hand is just M2 with ZM visuals/controls. I'll say this though, both of the M2 remakes have incredible soundtracks full of remixes of M2's music. I still can't decide which of the two remade the main overworld theme better:

AM2R's theme is closer to the original, but SR's version KILLS it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Unpopular opinion time, but….

Playing through Zero Mission, AM2R, and Super Metroid back-to-back, Super Metroid kind of sucks. I’m sure 90% of that has to do with QoL things in the older version’s more modern remakes, but there are other things that stand out as well. Back on SNES it was the best, kind of wish I had not replayed it

Grapple Beam is dumb. There are enough cool movement ideas in Metroid without having to play Tarzan. Totally unnecessary item. Used in one specific situation that was worthwhile.

X-Ray Scope, another dumb item. On paper it seems cool but it turns exploring and finding hidden areas/items in to “stop and scan” every 20 ft. Yeah yeah, you don’t have to do that, but just by virtue of it existing it kind of makes that a thing. It isn’t used cleverly and feels like it was added because people complained about finishing walls to blow up. Not sure I ever put together that it seems like a precursor to scanning things in Prime.

Map, UI, Weapon / Item switching. Mostly suck. The SNES controller has more buttons so this seems like it should have been addressable. Maybe it is and I needed to remap thing’s and didn’t spend the time fixing it.

This is just old man complaining type stuff. It isn’t that bad, but just wasn’t as fun as I remembered and enjoyed the others much more. I guess Fusion is next. Will try and get in to it today or tomorrow.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

New trailer. I'm probably going to avoid watching further trailers of this game to avoid spoilers. This one doesn't spoil much, but it does show you what appears to be the first minute or so of the game. Still wondering whether the villain will be the Federation or the evil Chozo. Whichever one it ISN'T will probably be the enemy in the next game, since they've said this is going to be the launchpad for a new chapter in the series. I've seen a lot of people writing essays of speculation about the X-Parasite being the bad guys in this game and either possessing the EMMIs or possessing the evil Chozo, and to that I say... no, please. It was cool in Metroid Fusion, now it's done. It was probably the most generic foe the Metroid series has had yet. I really hope it's just a red herring here and the game is taking off in a new, more interesting direction.

The suit Samus is wearing at the beginning of this trailer is the "Omega Suit" from the end of Fusion (after she recombined with the SA-X). People always seem to forget about that suit and think she was still in the Fusion suit at the end of that game. Not sure how she gets from that suit to whatever it is she's wearing at the end of the trailer. It's almost like she got shot down and the suit was destroyed in the process.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Another new trailer. This one is AWESOME. It gives away who the villains are, so watch at your own risk in that regard. That said I'm very happy with their choice so I'm glad I saw this, only more stoked now.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Another new trailer. This one is AWESOME. It gives away who the villains are, so watch at your own risk in that regard. That said I'm very happy with their choice so I'm glad I saw this, only more stoked now.
So fucking hyped for this game. Glad someone pulled Nintendos head out of it's ass and seems ready to deliver the game I've been wanting for over a decade.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Looks dope but I’m bummed it’s not on a real system. That shit would look so good in 4K and high FPS. I hate the lag fest that is the switch.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Looks dope but I’m bummed it’s not on a real system. That shit would look so good in 4K and high FPS. I hate the lag fest that is the switch.

That's how I feel about the FF Pixel Remasters. I've still only played FF1 and don't have any plans for the rest until they come to an actual console. Preferably one with trophies, I'll do everything in them then. Much as I'd like to play a 2D-HD FF3 finally, I'm passing on any more phone FF ports.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Another interesting trailer. This one reveals quite a bit more of the gameplay. You can tell how late in the game different scenes are by how many energy tanks Samus has. I'd like to know what that gold thing is at 3:39. Can't tell if it's regenerating immediately from her slash or if it's an optical illusion. She has max energy tanks so it's lategame.

I watched this whole thing at .25 speed and you catch a LOT of interesting stuff doing that. It's also about 10 times creepier.

Kraid makes a return here, and he looks to be very early in the game since Samus has 2 energy tanks there

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
How come Metroids only seem to evolve on the SR388 environment? Every other Metroid game has only had base facehugger form Metroids.

(Yes, Fusion has an Omega Metroid and Other M has a Queen, but both of those escaped from Federation labs).

Why didn't any Metroids evolve on Zebes?

The answer is probably developer laziness but I'm wondering if there's an ingame explanation somewhere that I missed.

Also, I hope Dread gives us some new Metroid forms (and maybe returns of some of the SR388 forms). The story is perfectly set up for some newly-created Metroid types to show up in the endgame. Though I also get it if they're trying to move away from the Metroid concept and create new antagonists.

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
The way I understand it, the Metroids on SR388 were more evolved because they existed a lot longer than in the other games where they're usually escapees from lab experiments or space pirate bioweapons on the loose, and were usually kept as harmless as possible specifically to prevent escapes (and that worked super well).

Most of the recent games have lore pickups that mention stasis holding pens for the Metroids in the pirates bases, and you generally only start seeing Metroids in the game once you've sufficiently fucked the base up that shit stops working and they break out.

One of my theories is that since the metroids have a lot in common with xenomorphs, maybe the evolved forms we see on SR388 aren't really just elder metroid forms but are more like other fauna that was absorbed on a cellular level by the metroids until it became part of their DNA makeup (a bit like the Zerg various forms aren't evolutions but are actually other creatures absorbed into the Swarm). So the fauna on SR388 would be more compatible with metroids because they live in the same environment, but on other worlds metroids just can't really absorb the essence and instead just suck out life energy and the other alien species shrivel up and die.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The way I understand it, the Metroids on SR388 were more evolved because they existed a lot longer than in the other games where they're usually escapees from lab experiments or space pirate bioweapons on the loose, and were usually kept as harmless as possible specifically to prevent escapes (and that worked super well).

I like the theory that the evolved forms are much older. Maybe an Omega Metroid is just what they look like after 80 years or something along those lines. With no natural predators I would expect them to live for exceedingly long durations.

Weird thing is that in Metroid Prime we had a bunch of Metroids in the Impact Crater that had been there for who knows how long and they were mostly in base form (a few of them were base form with a new tentacle, if that counts as a new form). Which might just be developer laziness because it doesn't fit.

It's kind of funny to me that the Metroid larva is considered the least-powerful version (both by fans and by the lore in the games themselves) when they're a hell of a lot worse than the Alpha and maybe even Gamma Metroid.

One of my theories is that since the metroids have a lot in common with xenomorphs, maybe the evolved forms we see on SR388 aren't really just elder metroid forms but are more like other fauna that was absorbed on a cellular level by the metroids until it became part of their DNA makeup (a bit like the Zerg various forms aren't evolutions but are actually other creatures absorbed into the Swarm). So the fauna on SR388 would be more compatible with metroids because they live in the same environment, but on other worlds metroids just can't really absorb the essence and instead just suck out life energy and the other alien species shrivel up and die.

Also an interesting idea about absorbing traits of their surroundings, but I like the idea that they just evolve when given large amounts of time to do so. Last line is probably the best theory I've seen about why we only see evolved forms on SR388. They're acclimated to that environment, the same way we are with Earth, so creatures from other worlds may not have the vital nutrients they need to grow/evolve. The super Omega Metroid in Fusion was created in the SR388 emulator environment, IIRC.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Dailysteals.com? Never heard of it. Anyone ever ordered from there?

Also this(not sure if accurate):

1632345338321.png