Microsoft to can Technet Subscriptions

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
From the great minds that brought you Xbone...

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-to-sh...ce-7000017541/

It's like they're screaming, through megaphones, "Please steal all of our software, small-time developers". They can't figure out a way to combat piracy (hint: lower prices and better software), so they're curbstomping those of us that have been loyal subscribers for years. This kinda blows.

In other news, if you're a current subscriber, get those product keys while you can. The keys don't expire, only your license to use them, so...

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
If I didn't work for a Non-Profit I'd be fucking pissed as I just bought a TechNet Plus subscription. Thankfully through Techsoup (non-profit software site) it only cost $42.00. Still lame though, but whatever. Does anyone know if they killed MSDN as well?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
MSDN is apparently staying the same. It's much more expensive, though, if you want everything that TechNet Professional has today (~$6000 for the first year, ~$2500 to renew is what's quoted in the link above). MSDN OS is about double the price of TechNet Professional with much, much less available.

Maebe_sl

shitlord
Yeah, this is an odd change. Tbh the price/value had changed the past few years making it less attractive but it was still great for learning and practice.

It would seem the idea is for people use the 90/180 day trials instead. Might work out better.