Mid '90s

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fedor

<Banned>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Mid '90s

Director: Jonah Hill

Cast: Sunny Suljic, Katherine Waterston, Lucas Hedges, Alexa Demie, Jax Malcom, Kasey Elise, Na-kel Smith, Liana Perlich, Zachary Read, Jerrod Carmichael

Plot: One boy's coming-of-age in Los Angeles during the tail end of the 20th century, as he struggles with the responsibilities of adulthood and ambles around with his skate rat buddies

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fedor

<Banned>
Is Jonah Hill Fat?

Atreus.jpg

GOW-MoCap1.max-1920x1200.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Thanks posting this. Wasn't on my radar but it is now, I miss the 90's

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So Kids 90s edition? I dig it. (it occurs to me that Kids also happend in the 90s but whatever!)

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
More like Kids Millennial Edition, doubt Jonah Hill has the balls to have a kid rape a girl with AIDS.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pretty sure I'm the target audience of this one (I was a punk ass skater kid in the 90s) and I have absolutely no desire to see this.

I don't necessarily look back on being that age fondly. I was an asshole.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
90s was the shit. Pre 911, none of this race baiting shit thats everywhere right now. I think its where humanity, at least in US, hit its peak IMO. Fucking SINEFELD! Everything from then on went to shit. 911, lockdown of our freedoms, mid east wars, first balck president that fucked race relations probably for the next few decades if not more. The rise of the SJW faggots, news media going all fork tongue, its all fucked right now and I feel for my kids that have to live through this shit decade.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pretty sure I'm the target audience of this one (I was a punk ass skater kid in the 90s) and I have absolutely no desire to see this.

I don't necessarily look back on being that age fondly. I was an asshole.
So I take it back.

The first 5 minutes of this one I was rolling my eyes. It suffered from the same thing season 2 of Stranger Things did; throwing as much 90's nostalgia bullshit into my face as fast as possible. SNES controller, Street Fighter 2 shirt, boatloads of CD's (where the fuck did his brother get all the money for everything in this movie btw?). It faded out pretty well after that though.

And then fuck, about halfway through and the nostalgia hit me hard. Between the skate videos, teen parties (albeit, I didn't drink or smoke pot until I think I was 16 or 17), loitering, and just everything about this. It probably helps that I was also raised by a single mom.

I'm honestly surprised how much I enjoyed a movie with a cast of asshole teenagers. It's by no means a perfect movie, and I'll probably never watch it again, but it really captured my 90's experience.

There are just a handful of movies that hit me hard in the nostalgia feels, either because they capture the time for me, or because of when I watched. The Virgin Suicides, The Kings of Summer, and now this are on a short list.

• 2Like

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
So I take it back.

The first 5 minutes of this one I was rolling my eyes. It suffered from the same thing season 2 of Stranger Things did; throwing as much 90's nostalgia bullshit into my face as fast as possible. SNES controller, Street Fighter 2 shirt, boatloads of CD's (where the fuck did his brother get all the money for everything in this movie btw?). It faded out pretty well after that though.

And then fuck, about halfway through and the nostalgia hit me hard. Between the skate videos, teen parties (albeit, I didn't drink or smoke pot until I think I was 16 or 17), loitering, and just everything about this. It probably helps that I was also raised by a single mom.

I'm honestly surprised how much I enjoyed a movie with a cast of asshole teenagers. It's by no means a perfect movie, and I'll probably never watch it again, but it really captured my 90's experience.

There are just a handful of movies that hit me hard in the nostalgia feels, either because they capture the time for me, or because of when I watched. The Virgin Suicides, The Kings of Summer, and now this are on a short list.
I've followed this movie since it was announced but never got around to seeing it until last week or so and I agree with your first bit, the movie is a cashgrab for the recent trend of early 20's pining over "the 90s" . Some of the scenes made me nostalgic but a lot of it made me roll my eyes. I might of been more crucial because a lot of people in the skateboard community gave it high praises and I'm a skatenerd myself. I was hoping for a Kids type movie but instead it was more of a Street Dreams.

Edit: Forgot to add the one huge gripe I had about this movie was the kid who played the main character can't even skate.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I think this movie is super niche. Like, if you were under the age of 10 or over 17 in the mid-90's AND you weren't a skater, it's probably not going to resonate.

I think his being unable to skate was actually super accurate. I'd say most of the time when you'd be out skating, less than a quarter of the people around could even ollie much less do anything else.

It probably also helps if you came from a somewhat broken home and got involved in stupid shit to go along with the skating. I got arrested when I was 13 with all my skate buddies for shoplifting.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I was there in the mid90s as a young skaterat but my point was he started learning how to skate and by the end of the movie he still couldn't even so much as comfortably stand on the board, like you said it's super niche and that causes autists like me to nitpick every thing from my own experience. My girlfriend who watched it with me thought it was a decent movie while I was a bit disappointed in it(Jonah's Girl worship really bothers me) so I realize it's probably on me.

The kids who can't skate but are still hanging around, usually bring something valuable(like weed, money or a car) not some young kid who's awkward and just sits on his board the whole sesh.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database