Middle-earth: Shadow of War (Shadow of Mordor Sequel)

Sulrn

Deuces
Tuco Tuco , I know you enjoy your job (at least I think I remember reading that) but you should consider scraping this thread and submitting it to IGN as part of a contributing writer portfolio.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You are hilarious. ;) (Try harder,too obvious. )
One thing that this game does well that separates it from other RPGs is that it really tries hard to force you to make your attacks multi-dimensional. In other RPGs top-gamers are always looking for synergistic builds and while that's OK, in a game like this it causes fairly boring and repetitive gameplay.

Shadow of War tries to fight that with:
1. Enemies being frequently immune to certain attacks.
2. Enemies being frequently vulnerable to certain attacks.
3. The skill tree itself not offering a lot of ways to improve specific attacks that much.
4. Several different resource pools.

The end result is pretty spectacular, each tough captain fight requires you to utilize a handful of attacks.

That being said, I imagine that a few lucky rolls on gear can create some synergies with abilities. I found a cape that gives +100% duration to fire, and have been stacking fire stuff. Right now I've got:
1. My cape with +100 fire duration
2. My chest gives +17% chance for crits to light enemy on fire
3. My dagger causes stealth attacks to light enemy on fire

For skills, my mighty shot can light enemies on fire, my elven light ignites enemies, my elven rage can explode after it expires. And of course there are so many fires/ grog barrels you can ignite.

I'm sure other such synergies exist (I bet there's some good ice ones, and I also bet you can stack some kind of might generation, especially with Fatal Might), but despite that I don't think you'll get away from having to use a variety of attacks.

One thing that'd be funny and a little annoying is if the game tracked what you used to kill enemies with and populated the captains with more immunity to it. So if I scorch the earth with apocalyptic blaze, everything starts to get immune.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
One thing that this game does well that separates it from other RPGs is that it really tries hard to force you to make your attacks multi-dimensional. In other RPGs top-gamers are always looking for synergistic builds and while that's OK, in a game like this it causes fairly boring and repetitive gameplay.

Shadow of War tries to fight that with:
1. Enemies being frequently immune to certain attacks.
2. Enemies being frequently vulnerable to certain attacks.
3. The skill tree itself not offering a lot of ways to improve specific attacks that much.
4. Several different resource pools.

The end result is pretty spectacular, each tough captain fight requires you to utilize a handful of attacks.

That being said, I imagine that a few lucky rolls on gear can create some synergies with abilities. I found a cape that gives +100% duration to fire, and have been stacking fire stuff. Right now I've got:
1. My cape with +100 fire duration
2. My chest gives +17% chance for crits to light enemy on fire
3. My dagger causes stealth attacks to light enemy on fire

For skills, my mighty shot can light enemies on fire, my elven light ignites enemies, my elven rage can explode after it expires. And of course there are so many fires/ grog barrels you can ignite.

I'm sure other such synergies exist (I bet there's some good ice ones, and I also bet you can stack some kind of might generation, especially with Fatal Might), but despite that I don't think you'll get away from having to use a variety of attacks.

One thing that'd be funny and a little annoying is if the game tracked what you used to kill enemies with and populated the captains with more immunity to it. So if I scorch the earth with apocalyptic blaze, everything starts to get immune.
you tried hard. I’ll give you that!

Still would not buy this drunk. And this is coming fro a guy that won 1,500 in pull tabs and went to Best Buy and blew 509 on psvr. (Great investment by the way)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I usually hate collections in games, but I really love these ones and how they not only make you run around like a dickweed to pick up junk, but also pause the gameplay to show you the piece of junk and have one of the most likable female characters in gaming talk to you about the piece of shit you just wisely invested a minute to go collect. Tarrant Tarrant was totally right, this is nothing like raking leaves. It's more like collecting bugs and mounting them on pins while a plain looking bugologist tells you about them.

• 4Worf
  • 1Salty
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 6 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Look at this fucking guy, he's literally got plates embedded into his arms and spikes in his skulls. You really don't get more hardcore than that. He must get discounts at Poison Unlimited to keep that much poison on his massive mace.
upload_2017-10-14_11-56-21.png

I'm ready to have a more epic fight than Frodo ever had when he got impaled by a Troll in REturn of th eJEdi.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Utnayan is 100% right on this. Loot boxes in single player games is wrong on so many levels, and every one of you that contributes/supports to this business model is complicit in spreading this taint of greed and thereby personally endorsing pay walls, artificial difficulty curves to encourage purchasing, time locks, and locked content.

This so much.

Stop supporting this greed.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I usually hate collections in games, but I really love these ones and how they not only make you run around like a dickweed to pick up junk, but also pause the gameplay to show you the piece of junk and have one of the most likable female characters in gaming talk to you about the piece of shit you just wisely invested a minute to go collect. Tarrant Tarrant was totally right, this is nothing like raking leaves. It's more like collecting bugs and mounting them on pins while a plain looking bugologist tells you about them.

Great, so it's a grind with somebody telling you about how great you grinded. I've got the perfect app for you, although you might wanna watch your ass.

• 1Picard

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Great, so it's a grind with somebody telling you about how great you grinded. I've got the perfect app for you, although you might wanna watch your ass.
At least there's only like, 10 artifacts per zone and not the hundred that Assassin's Creed sprinkled on like seasoning on a 10lbs shoulder roast.

spronk

FPS noob
WHY the fuck of all people would

well on release day some people bought the physical gold edition and got digital (cross play) game instead of season pass and presumably fixed season pass later down the road, so i was hoping to get in on that sweet sweet error. sadly my copy was just fine so now i have a game i am not gonna play for a while.

brilliant startup idea: grinder/tinder, with loot boxes. collect enough loot crates and we send a whore to your house, although its RNG what kind of whore you will get. just send it back and grind for another one if you don't like the sex / race / weight of the one you got

I do look forward to Assassins Creed Origins though, gonna play it on xbox one X and I just love the setting. Wandering around the front of Mordor isn't that fun or interesting so far, and I feel kinda bad when I try to stealth past an orc, he hears me, and goes and kills a slave. like dude... thats just bad resource management.

• 1Worf

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>

I always enjoyed the story behind the artifacts, just random tidbits of story that make the world more real. Glad you saw the light. ;)

• 1Barf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
At least there's only like, 10 artifacts per zone and not the hundred that Assassin's Creed sprinkled on like seasoning on a 10lbs shoulder roast.

Doesn’t your Warner brothers shill contract include Ubisoft games? I thought it was all inclusive per post.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I always enjoyed the story behind the artifacts, just random tidbits of story that make the world more real. Glad you saw the light. ;)

We may be getting trolled, you may get getting rolled, you may be getting sold. Either way tuco has beaten all of us in this thread.

We've got a guy who loves this game, and knows how stupid he is for it, so plays the troll while also hating this game and himself for loving the game and spending $800 on loot boxes. Well played Tuco Tuco .

• 1Worf

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I spent about $500 on the TCG in the Star Wars Galaxies Game, considering that game was decommissioned I feel like a fool. At least your game still exists.

This was the one with the Luke Skywalker card that was fairly common with the ultra rare "Commander Luke Skywalker" that was the "real one"? I found my death star and commence primary ignition cards when I was moving last year.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So, can we just solidly state that there's something seriously wrong with the gaming industry as a whole and that Sow is just a symptom? And that as problematic as loot box mentality is, that it is separate from the core game play?

It's cool if you don't want to support the game. It's cool if you do. It's cool if you pirate it out of spite. It's cool if you wait to bargain bin it. All of that is cool and your stances are all valid.

Now that we got that out of the way, can we talk about the game itself? I'm intrigued as equally as I am irritated by shelob's role in the game. I'm actively looking around for her memories but I'm really doubting the payoff will be worth it.

Also, my biggest disappointment so far is that I can't bring my favorite orcs from one land to another. Because Horka the Mindless is my man. His only dialogue since the beginning has been various degrees of frantic "I don't know! I don't know!!" and it is comedy gold to hear him yelling that while violently braining random orcs

• 1Like

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Also, my biggest disappointment so far is that I can't bring my favorite orcs from one land to another. Because Horka the Mindless is my man. His only dialogue since the beginning has been various degrees of frantic "I don't know! I don't know!!" and it is comedy gold to hear him yelling that while violently braining random orcs

You can via a "Send to Garrison" order, I believe - that sends it back to the market thing, doesn't it? (It's a common enough order that I'd gotten like 9 from my excess in game cash I spent on the low quality loot box)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You can via a "Send to Garrison" order, I believe - that sends it back to the market thing, doesn't it? (It's a common enough order that I'd gotten like 9 from my excess in game cash I spent on the low quality loot box)

Maybe? i've chosen to ignore the market altogether.

also,

followed by

• 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
So, can we just solidly state that there's something seriously wrong with the gaming industry as a whole and that Sow is just a symptom? And that as problematic as loot box mentality is, that it is separate from the core game play?

It's cool if you don't want to support the game. It's cool if you do. It's cool if you pirate it out of spite. It's cool if you wait to bargain bin it. All of that is cool and your stances are all valid.

Now that we got that out of the way, can we talk about the game itself? I'm intrigued as equally as I am irritated by shelob's role in the game. I'm actively looking around for her memories but I'm really doubting the payoff will be worth it.

The shelob payoff curscence is like 15 seconds, it's neat but a total dick tease. You get skill points for the memories so might as well keep going. However at lvl 46 I don't even use my skill points becouse all skills left are sucky ones I skipped.

Buy the in game cash boxes to get garrison orders to move your dudes around to new lands