Midnight Mass

Caliane

we're probably past spoilers now.

The houses all burning down was lolz. Did I mention how I laughed about them dying on the bridge.. which they clearly could have hidden under to stay out of the sun? or yeah, any rowboat could have protected them.. or New england.. every house has a cellar. (granted the bridge couple themselves wanted to die.)

the religion element is annoying. I feel it goes back to Job. Like when I was mentioning how modern movies, have characters who should believe in an Eternal afterlife, focus ENTIRELY on mortal lives. "oh this soul EATING Demon, killed a person" Im sorry. did it kill them, or did it EAT THEIR SOUL? those are two entirely different things. is the soul gone forever? is the soul trapped in the demon? will exorcism save the soul? Fearstreet really had this problem. and even did the Job thing. where again, a deeply religious person, when faced with mortal adversity, sells their soul to the Devil, for trivial mortal reasons.. its baffling. It feels like so much supernatural, and religious material these days, is written by people who are not religious, nor even understand religion. Like, I'm a weak Atheist. I see no evidence whatsoever that any supernatural thing exists. But I can understand a religious mindset. We need a story like this to be a modern day Job. that is really a story, reddit Atheists can't stand. It would be great to have this, and have the characters tried by these monsters, tempted, and come out with stronger faith.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Long, slow, odd, lots of talking, couple (tiny) stumbles but very happy with this.

It a roundabout way it reminds of me Late Phases.

View attachment 383441

Late Phases stars the guy who played Mister in Stake Land (very good vampire flick) and it has that kind of slow, dialogue driven story with supernatural elements (werewolves).
Late Phases is awesome. Highly recommend.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I was surprised at how much Red Letter loved this. I finished this last week and thought it was okay at best. The MONOLOGUES! didn't bother me except for the final one where Erin went on and on and on.

I think what bugged me about this show was that it seemed like it blatantly copied elements from other things I've watched. How vampires suddenly see the world brighter visually seemed stolen from Interview with a Vampire. Erin's long-winded speech at the end reminded me of Babylon 5 Delenn's quote, "We believe that the universe itself is conscious in a way that we can never truly understand. It is engaged in a search for meaning. So it breaks itself apart, investing its own consciousness in every form of life. We are the universe trying to understand itself."

Also, everyone being retarded at the end was retarded. 3 / 5.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I was surprised at how much Red Letter loved this. I finished this last week and thought it was okay at best. The MONOLOGUES! didn't bother me except for the final one where Erin went on and on and on.

I think what bugged me about this show was that it seemed like it blatantly copied elements from other things I've watched. How vampires suddenly see the world brighter visually seemed stolen from Interview with a Vampire. Erin's long-winded speech at the end reminded me of Babylon 5 Delenn's quote, "We believe that the universe itself is conscious in a way that we can never truly understand. It is engaged in a search for meaning. So it breaks itself apart, investing its own consciousness in every form of life. We are the universe trying to understand itself."

Also, everyone being retarded at the end was retarded. 3 / 5.

Her last speech is the worst speech. I think it's supposed to be the intersection between her original monologue and Riley's monologue about what happens when you die but it was worse than both and by a lot and undercut what I thought was a pretty sweet plan to deal with the Big Bad.