Midsommar (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Wife and I really, really enjoyed this movie. There's actually a lot of really great humor in this movie which hits I think because it's juxtaposed with some legitimately disturbing imagery. Really recommend this if you liked Hereditary.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, it’s definitely one of the best horror films to come out in the last decade. Up there with The Witch. It’s a slow burn, but has some pretty crazy scenes that will catch you off guard. One of the best aspects is lack of music ques during anything that might be remotely creepy, so no loud jump scares telling you to jump out of your seat. The whole thing is in the vehicle of a family drama, but with horrific elements, which helps with the willing suspension of disbelief.

It’s also worth a second watch just to pick up on things you may not have noticed on the first viewing. I caught it in the theaters then waited a bit after it was on video to take it in again, and was enjoyable trying to piece clues together.

If you liked The Witch, or movies like The Ninth Gate, The Changeling, etc, you’ll enjoy it.

Watched Hereditary based on the recommendations in this thread.

It was dreadful. In a good way!

Also: Hail Paimon!

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Not as good as Heriditary but definitely great for a modern horror movie. Not as tense but I still liked it.

How I left the theatre

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Alright, well this movie was fucked up in all the good ways.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Patiently waiting for the AppleTV directors cut to get posted in the usual places... Regular cut has made it's way to the usual.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Bizarre as hell but really engrossing. Most certainly not a horror movie. Think wicker-man, but serious and masterfully made.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Is there a genre for "disturbing"? Horror fits that. This was like a more fucked up version of The Village. Saw some shit I never thought I'd see. That's usually enough to impress me, but they took it two or three steps further and made it into art. The camera use was fantastic. "Here's where the world flips upside down, " as the camera goes over end. I also finished wondering, "Well, fuck, now what?"

Horror Films are unsettling films designed to frighten and panic, cause dread and alarm, and to invoke our hidden worst fears, often in a terrifying, shocking finale, while captivating and entertaining us at the same time in a cathartic experience.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Is there a genre for "disturbing"? Horror fits that. This was like a more fucked up version of The Village. Saw some shit I never thought I'd see. That's usually enough to impress me, but they took it two or three steps further and made it into art. The camera use was fantastic. "Here's where the world flips upside down, " as the camera goes over end. I also finished wondering, "Well, fuck, now what?"

Horror Films are unsettling films designed to frighten and panic, cause dread and alarm, and to invoke our hidden worst fears, often in a terrifying, shocking finale, while captivating and entertaining us at the same time in a cathartic experience.

It was either here or some other review I read about this and/or Hereditary. They likened it to not so much as stabbing you with a knife but rather slowly turning a knife that is already inside of you. Thought that kind of worked for me.

• 2Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I loved Hereditary but wasn't a big fan of this one.

Hereditary was definitely the superior film. Kinda peeved I actually bought this (rentals were not out yet). I need to do like yall and learn about those "other sites".

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, not a horror movie really, just a couple of horrory setpieces. But I loved the movie. I think Hereditary was just different, that one was for sure a horror movie, this one tried to do something a little different. Awesome. I really like the imagery in the tapestries telling you what was going to happen, and the other hidden stuff, and the details like even the architecture of the buildings giving a surreal vibe to the whole thing.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Finally got around to watching the Director's Cut (had not seen the movie at all). Another A24 atmospheric gem. Not scary, or any where near as tense as Hereditary, but man this was a pretty fun watch. I think I'd put this just below Hereditary & The Witch, but a pretty damn good film. The whole movie is just one "interesting" event. Aster is talented.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Kinda pegged the ending from the start, but this was so well done I wasn't bothered by that. Agreed with everyone else, A24 is just killing it with these movies

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Finally got around to watching the Director's Cut (had not seen the movie at all). Another A24 atmospheric gem. Not scary, or any where near as tense as Hereditary, but man this was a pretty fun watch. I think I'd put this just below Hereditary & The Witch, but a pretty damn good film. The whole movie is just one "interesting" event. Aster is talented.

How much more was present in the director’s cut?

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

Sounds like not much (I did not watch the original cut): Some extended time on the drive to the village once they landed in Sweden, a few small scenes where Christian is asking about traditions. Seems like the only big thing is a ritual near a lake, turns out nothing much happens but it freaks out the Americans at first.

So, not much, probably just helped build the environment a bit more. Doesn't sound like a must watch if you've seen the original cut.

• 2Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I finally watched this. I have a buddy who is Swedish and maintains a house in Sweden that he takes his family to every June. He claims it is because the weather is so bad there the rest of the year that he won't go back.

Now I know what they are really doing every summer.

• 2Worf

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Just watched a Dolby Vision remux of this. I think this movie can be summed up as guy forgets girls birthday so she has him burned alive. Beautiful cinematography though.