Military Thread

Fadaar

That guy
For the AF it's only a 1.5 mile run once every 6 months (or every 12 months if your composite score is high enough, but your run time better be <11:30 or so with a really good pushup/situp score) in addition to pushups/situps/waist measurement. I've never had issues with the waist measurement but I know plenty of people who have, it's completely bullshit since it doesn't scale with height. Being only 5'9" I have no issues keeping my waist below 35", but when you got a guy who's 6'7" it shouldn't be possible or safe to be that skinny.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Where we at with gender neutral PFTs? I've heard dick all since they opened up "combat roles" to women when Panetta was on his way out the door. I kept up with female officer enrollment/subsequent dropage for a few cycles in whatever USMC infantry leader school or whatever once the cat was let out the bag but I've heard nothing about this since.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
How much freedom do people get in AIT these days? I'll be at Fort Gordon. I'd really like to see a few UFC fights come the middle/end of February but not sure I'll be able to because the restrictions are kind of vague.

NeverlosT

Golden Knight of the Realm
The old life. Been underwater a lot.

rrr_img_47607.jpg

rrr_img_47606.jpg

rrr_img_47615.jpg

Zaide

TLP Idealist
How much freedom do people get in AIT these days? I'll be at Fort Gordon. I'd really like to see a few UFC fights come the middle/end of February but not sure I'll be able to because the restrictions are kind of vague.
It's different at every command but generally ait is an extension of basic training. Some places have pretty strict rules with curfews and a maximum distance you can travel from base etc.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
When I was in AIT (in the army) privileges were based on the term of the training, how long you had been there, and the drill sergeant's mood. I was at Fort Lee, and my AIT was 6 weeks long (supply). I think after week 2 we could get sat/sun passes that began 7AM sat morning and ended at final formation sun evening around 5 or 6. It's been nearly ten years, and as Zaide points out, every command is different.

I remember one weekend the drill sergeant got drunk and came in on a friday night and started fucking with everyone until finally she revoked everyone's weekend privileges. We ended up picking a lot of weeds.

Chesire_sl

shitlord
Usually dependent upon how many times the training cadre has been dry fucked by mouth breathers in the past .
Wars winding down means garrison time and a savage culling of the ranks , so anyone bucking for e 6 or better , is going too be pretty hard ass , course anything at all could happen . Every AIT class is different , some are great , some suck and no matter what . There will always be someone with a cry like little bitch story about how bad AIT was compared to what you got.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
When I was at ITB we didn't get off base libo until like halfway or some shit (stupid C Co)...and at formation Sunday night some drunk kid got in a real short fight with one of the Sgts. So yeah that set us back some.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
If anyone ever has the idea to join the USAF and put the Command Post (1C3X1) as their career field...just don't.

Don't.

You're welcome.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pollo

Silver Knight of the Realm
In today's AIT? You'll have a fair amount of freedom but it really depends on the command and how retarded your buddies have been. You're going to have a curfew regardless of where you're at mostly. As far as UFC fights goes; since Ft. Lee is a training installation, you might get them on post. Some installations show them at on-post establishments, some don't (Ft. Carson doesn't).

As far as I know from some of my buddies that are "Platoon Sergeants" in AIT, it's no where near as bad as it was when there were DSs. They wan't you to feel like you're part of the "real" Army. A bunch of horse shit. I want everyone to suffer like I did (not that it was terrible in 95. I was getting hammered every weekend at the on-post bar at Ft. Sill. I miss the old Army).

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, those Marine covers are turrible, just turrible.

As far as I know from some of my buddies that are "Platoon Sergeants" in AIT, it's no where near as bad as it was when there were DSs. They wan't you to feel like you're part of the "real" Army. A bunch of horse shit. I want everyone to suffer like I did (not that it was terrible in 95. I was getting hammered every weekend at the on-post bar at Ft. Sill. I miss the old Army).
Wait wait wait...are you saying that there aren't Drill Sergeants anymore?!? What in the ever fuckity fuck is that?

I did my first 8 weeks at Sill at D 3/321 IIRC, in one of the "battlestar" buildings or whatever they were back in '93. All I can say is that having Arty drills run a mixed-MOS group was just awful, and mid to late summer basic at Sill was also terrible. We also had two of the (3rd year?) OCS cadets I think it was there "helping" (dimeheads) and I think everyone wanted to strangle the chick. Also our Drills told us to show up to our second station AIT locations in civilian clothes...I walked into the barracks at Knox wearing jeans and a t-shirt and got my ass reamed LOL. That 16 weeks was still better than the 8 at Sill though.

Also surprised I haven't seen this story posted around the forum more, I've been watching coverage on it since it broke. I apologize if people have seen it already:

Man sees pregnant wife stabbed on videochat - CNN.com

A Texas woman in her ninth month of pregnancy was brtually stabbed in the face and stomach earlier this week -- all while her husband, deployed thousands of miles away overseas -- watched helplessly through the phone, police said, according to HLN affiliate KFOX.

Rachel Poole, 31, was allegedly attacked in her home Wednesday while using FaceTime -- an Apple application that allows users to videochat over the phone -- to talk to her husband, Army Pvt. Justin Pele Poole, according to El Paso, Texas police. Police Det. Mike Baranyay said that the woman recognized her attacker and repeatedly screamed his name to her husband over the phone.

The victim managed to call 911 and was transported to University Medical Center where she was last reported to be in critical condition. Her baby is listed in good condition. Rachel Poole suffered fractures as well as stab wounds to the face and body during the attack, police say.

The suspect, identified as 19-year-old Corey Bernard Moss, was located by Fort Bliss Military Police and turned over to El Paso police. Detectives said they have learned that Moss was inside Poole's house when she got home -- before he allegedly attacked her with a knife.

According to investigators, Moss told them the victim owed him money for vehicle repairs. Moss was charged with criminal attempted capital murder and booked into the El Paso County Detention Facility. His bond was set at $60,000.
Baby Girl Born in 'Good Health' After Mother 'Brutally Attacked' - ABC News

Meanwhile, Rachel Poole was able to call 911 and was rushed to the hospital, where she was treated for stab wounds and fractures to her face and body, according to the police news release. Upon admittance, she was in critical condition.

Poole had a C-section scheduled for next week but doctors couldn't "do anything with [her] injuries unless they got Isabella out," Gary Jones said.

Jones said Poole may need eye socket reconstruction, but doctors are waiting for swelling in the eye to go down. He added that one of Poole's vertebrae was out of place following the attack, and she suffered a collapsed lung.
So Poole loans Moss his car, Moss gets into an accident and owes Poole for repair, then...hides in the house and stabs his wife? I can't even imagine WTF I would have done. And to think that she walked into the house, starts talking to her husband on Facetime and then Moss jumps out and starts stabbing her while Poole can only watch. One article I read was saying that he couldn't see who it was as they were "off camera" but his wife yelled out Moss' name so he'd know who it was.

rrr_img_48512.jpg

rrr_img_48513.jpg

Pollo

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah, those Marine covers are turrible, just turrible.

Wait wait wait...are you saying that there aren't Drill Sergeants anymore?!? What in the ever fuckity fuck is that?

I did my first 8 weeks at Sill at D 3/321 IIRC, in one of the "battlestar" buildings or whatever they were back in '93. All I can say is that having Arty drills run a mixed-MOS group was just awful, and mid to late summer basic at Sill was also terrible. We also had two of the (3rd year?) OCS cadets I think it was there "helping" (dimeheads) and I think everyone wanted to strangle the chick. Also our Drills told us to show up to our second station AIT locations in civilian clothes...I walked into the barracks at Knox wearing jeans and a t-shirt and got my ass reamed LOL. That 16 weeks was still better than the 8 at Sill though.

Also surprised I haven't seen this story posted around the forum more, I've been watching coverage on it since it broke. I apologize if people have seen it already:

Man sees pregnant wife stabbed on videochat - CNN.com

Baby Girl Born in 'Good Health' After Mother 'Brutally Attacked' - ABC News

So Poole loans Moss his car, Moss gets into an accident and owes Poole for repair, then...hides in the house and stabs his wife? I can't even imagine WTF I would have done. And to think that she walked into the house, starts talking to her husband on Facetime and then Moss jumps out and starts stabbing her while Poole can only watch. One article I read was saying that he couldn't see who it was as they were "off camera" but his wife yelled out Moss' name so he'd know who it was.

rrr_img_48512.jpg

rrr_img_48513.jpg
I'm not saying there are no more Drills. DSs are only at basic now. AIT now has 'Platton Sergeants' that do what the drills used to do. Supposedly Drill Sergeants were too intimidating. Since GWOT was in full swing, we had boots to fill so they mad things more palatable to people. I see things reverting back to the old ways soon...thank god I'm a Warrant Officer.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Amos is a fucking turd.
I'm not saying there are no more Drills. DSs are only at basic now. AIT now has 'Platton Sergeants' that do what the drills used to do. Supposedly Drill Sergeants were too intimidating. Since GWOT was in full swing, we had boots to fill so they mad things more palatable to people. I see things reverting back to the old ways soon...thank god I'm a Warrant Officer.
The military is going to fucking suck to be in for the next decade. No more war so garrison retardation gets turned up to 11(see Amos and his new barracks rules) and bunch of shitbag NCOs who spent time in Astan(more than likely never leaving camp cupcake) stroking their cocks talking about how badass they are while shitting on their boots.

Fadaar

That guy
Amos is a fucking turd.

The military is going to fucking suck to be in for the next decade. No more war so garrison retardation gets turned up to 11(see Amos and his new barracks rules) and bunch of shitbag NCOs who spent time in Astan(more than likely never leaving camp cupcake) stroking their cocks talking about how badass they are while shitting on their boots.
Worse is going to be the inevitable downsizing and people being cut loose who don't need to be. I got 2 years left on my enlistment and I have zero intention on reenlisting anyway, but it'll really suck for people with families.