Miniature Painting

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Wow, some serious mad skills in here. Props to you guys.

Hateyou Hateyou , I didn't check FoH over the weekend, so I didn't see your recommendations in time. I ended up buying a starter miniature paint set:

and brushes:

I hope those are decent. They arrived yesterday! It did not come with primer though so I need to go buy some. Otherwise I hope to try and paint my first miniature by this weekend.

Thanks also for the link for the brush soap. It's like $10 for S&H....is that something you think I can find at a local hobby store?

Those brushes will be fine for starting out, once you get into it a bit you’ll be wanting to upgrade. I don’t think you’ll be able to find that soap at a store but maybe. The guy who runs the websites wife makes the soap, smaller operation. You could just get masters, it will work, but when you go to upgrade brushes, I’d go with their brush set and soap together.

Nice starter set on the paints, that will go a long way.

For primer, you can get stuff like krylon, and it will work, especially since you are starting on lower quality miniatures. If you want to spend an extra $5 (I would) I’d suggest just going with a can of colored primer from Army Painter on amazon or a local store. You can save a lot of time by getting something that has a skin tone or brown base, it’ll make skin easier, or wood/fur with the brown.

When you are priming just make sure you have a decent humidity (I forget the good %, something like 55? I’d need to look it up) and distance when spraying with a rattle can. If it’s too dry and you’re too far away you’ll end up putting a speckled texture on the miniature. If its too humid you can get things like running or too much paint and cover up some detail. If you’re scared of rattle can you can get some Vallejo brush on primer but don’t be scared. You can always strip miniatures with simple green and start over if you fuck them up.

Before you prime, scrub all your minis with dish soap and water and let them dry out. Plastic injection molding uses a release agent and primer and paint won’t stick to it. Also don’t touch your minis with bare fingers after they’ve been cleaned, and while painting. Your skin oils will make paint not stick, or rub paint of. So either wear latex gloves, or get sticky tack and stick them to bottle caps, corks, or an actual miniature holder (I use hobby holder and love it) and hold that while painting. You’ll also want a magnifying glass/light. I bought a cheap one from amazon and it works fine. Clamps onto my desk when I need it. There’s much nicer stuff out there if you want a more permanent setting, but I didn’t.

Brightech Lightview Pro Flex - Hands Free, Magnifying Glass Desk Lamp for Close Work - Bright LED Lighted Gooseneck Magnifier with Clamp for Reading, Tasks & Crafts - Black

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Few more pics. An iron golem I did a few months ago.

2EF24651-A27A-4CF1-90DE-1CAA74878B70.jpeg6CD476E7-2837-453E-9656-71E7C66BF7E0.jpeg2D554649-188C-4553-B16C-23A335618CAD.jpeg

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have found my master brush soap an conditioner at blicks art supply in the past of you have one of those. Make sure if you buy krylon to get the flat finish, you dont want any satin or gloss or your paint won't stick. Also you will want to varnish your minis, if you have a Michael's or other art supply store your best bet is testors spray can, gloss will protect better and also allow washes and incs to flow in the recesses but you will probably want to finish each model with their dulcot spray. I guess you can also get it at Walmart

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vexco

Trakanon Raider
Another aspect of the hobby I love is making my own terrain.
Webway portal using some pool light mounting brackets.
Last few years I have made a couple of game boards with terrain to match my two armies..Eldar and Deathguard.

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Another aspect of the hobby I love is making my own terrain.
Webway portal using some pool light mounting brackets.
Last few years I have made a couple of game boards with terrain to match my two armies..Eldar and Deathguard.View attachment 204427

Nice work man. I do love the creative aspect of the hobby. After not really doing much art/creative shit since I was a kid it’s pretty rewarding coming up with color schemes and basing. I don’t get as much time devoted to it as I’d like so I’m nowhere near where I want to be, but it’s actually nice having something challenging I can keep improving on.

Plus man all the pussy that comes your way, am I right?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Vexco

Trakanon Raider
I get alot of hobby time in by spending time with my daughter's. The eldest loves helping out and painting with me.
She has the knack for it too.
This is my Deathguard theme board.

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I asked my 5yo this weekend if he was interested in painting the models or playing the game he said "oh not too much" I'm hoping that changes

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I get alot of hobby time in by spending time with my daughter's. The eldest loves helping out and painting with me.
She has the knack for it too.
This is my Deathguard theme board.
View attachment 204432

That’s great. My son is only four so he’s not there yet. I took some of his plastic dinosaurs and primed them. He likes painting those as part of craft sessions. He always comes in while one painting and tells me “your statues look awesome “ so maybe he will be into it with me some day. I don’t want to lead him too far into nerd realm too early, but it would be cool if he does eventually.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I asked my 5yo this weekend if he was interested in painting the models or playing the game he said "oh not too much" I'm hoping that changes

Is there anything he’s into? There’s decent board games for everything now. Mine likes playing fireball island, and zombicide Black Plague with modified rules he can understand.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
He likes to paint them some times so it might have been the moment, he loves action figures I think I just need to help him understand they are pretty much the same. He seems to like fantasy more than 40k so I may have to go that route

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
My daughter loves painting little dolls she has. Her talents make me reluctant to ask her to help when I start

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My daughter loves painting little dolls she has. Her talents make me reluctant to ask her to help when I start

Man I think it would be cool if my kid got into it and surpassed me. One dude I follow has his 8 year old painting with him. Check this shit out, I’d be proud as hell.

21E650FE-7F8F-4137-8E36-2CE4450D78BA.jpeg

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Trying to find one of her pieces of work lol. That looks the the "kid" painted it or that 8 year old is Michelangelo reincarnated

Nah I’ve seen a lot of these kids at conventions. When you have a mentor for a parent that knows what they’re doing they can do some impressive stuff. That mini the kid did doesn’t look too difficult, thinned paints, shades, highlights are all basic techniques. He’s probably got dad over his shoulder saying “paints too thick, that layer is enough highlight, etc. kids learn so fast and have a lot of free time too.

Most of the mini painting stuff is just doing the right techniques that you learn from better people. When people put time into following videos or going to a class I see drastic improvements right after the class cause they picked up a new technique or two they didn’t know before. I’ve seen people so good they can give classes and charge high $ for commissions within just 1-2 years. I don’t have that amount of time to put into it to get that good that quickly, but I’ve seen it happen a lot over the past few years I’ve been following other people.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Here is my current desk, havmt had much time this week, after I finish the imperial fist kill team back to death guard and nurgle.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Great thread idea. Seeing people post pictures motivates me to stop being lazy and paint more!
Here are some cell phone pictures of stuff I have painted over the past few months.

LCDr4B5.jpg

S7plJqh.jpg

lTBtfCK.jpg

kVePvvl.jpg

• 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users