Miniature Painting

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Second one is much better. I don’t play WH but I look at the paint jobs and have never like the weird split colors/random limb one color. I don’t mind a shoulder pad a different color or the helm. Highlighted sections looks a lot more like something someone would actually design/wear over the strange split color stuff I’ve seen people do.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You're not going to be able to easily discern the difference between the two shades of silver, if those are indeed different.

• 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Also you might want to paint one like that to see how it shakes out... I suspect painting that much silver(if you are doing a whole army) is going to lead you to want to rip your eyes out

Chris

Potato del Grande
Hmm think I may just play Ultramarines... really wanted to try underpainting/"slapchop" and metallics doesn't seem too viable for that while blue absolutely will be.

Not confident enough to design my own colour scheme without it being convoluted.

Thanks for the feedback though guys, wouldn't have come to this conclusion without you.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Also you might want to paint one like that to see how it shakes out... I suspect painting that much silver(if you are doing a whole army) is going to lead you to want to rip your eyes out
Wut?
1700161004644.png

• 3Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Got a surprise gift from the hubby who got me a badger airbrush + compressor. Should be useful for painting that Baneblade I got him. Now to buy some new paint and learn how to use this thing…

Are there any good tutorials folks would recommend on just the basic shit like mixing/thinning, pressure, etc? Or is it something you really just have to get a feel for by doing?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Got a surprise gift from the hubby who got me a badger airbrush + compressor. Should be useful for painting that Baneblade I got him. Now to buy some new paint and learn how to use this thing…

Are there any good tutorials folks would recommend on just the basic shit like mixing/thinning, pressure, etc? Or is it something you really just have to get a feel for by doing?
Oh boy, that's a handful. Which badger? Which compressor? The reality is airbrushes can be very finicky depending on your use cases and how they are set up. If you just want to do primer, base coats and finishes then you can get up and running relatively quick. If you're looking to paint with one then it's a lot of little process things to get down on top of muscle memory with the trigger.

You'll need a few accessories that may not have come with your kit. Take a look and see what is in there first off.

As far as paint, my recommendation to start (and honestly most of what I use for everything) is airbrush paint and normal drawing inks (e.g. Daler Rowney, Windsor&Newton, etc.). You will still need to use flow improver and thinner occasionally even with airbrush paints. The biggest issue is anything with titanium white in it.

As far as tutorials, there are so many and most of them are ok. IIRC I think Marco Frisoni had a tutorial and his is probably the best but he is a very advanced user.

Before anything though, assuming you don't have a spray booth I would recommend picking this up

VIVOHOME Portable Airbrush Paint Spray Booth Kit with 3 LED Lights Turn Table and Filter Hose for Model Cake Craft Nail Toy Part https://a.co/d/2qHNotM

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Hmm think I may just play Ultramarines... really wanted to try underpainting/"slapchop" and metallics doesn't seem too viable for that while blue absolutely will be.

Not confident enough to design my own colour scheme without it being convoluted.

Thanks for the feedback though guys, wouldn't have come to this conclusion without you.

Plasma inceptors on ultras is insane

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

I’d say start with tearing it down and putting it back together until you’re comfortable with it, because you will be doing this a lot to clean it or clear clogs.

I recommend this primer, and would recommend practicing zenithal a lot before moving to paints, just to get a feel for the airbrush, pressure, distance, etc.

BADGER Stynylrez SNR-216 Airbrush Primer 6 Tone Pack 2Oz. / 60Ml White, Gray, Black, Red Brown, Olive Green, Neutral, 2 Fl Oz (Pack of 1) https://a.co/d/iIH5BtL

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to

I think you will be a lot happier customizing your army, around a supported faction, vs making up everything. Lots of tutorials, ideas, etc. You can use cool 30k schemes, tyrannic war vets, etc.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Got a Badger Patriot airbrush and timber tech as-186 compressor. He also got me a detail conversion kit for the brush for whenever I’m good enough to try that, heh. Good call on the hood, I’ll grab that since it’s on sale.

Assuming I’m using acrylics and the vent hood, should I be using face protection of some sort as well?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Got a Badger Patriot airbrush and timber tech as-186 compressor. He also got me a detail conversion kit for the brush for whenever I’m good enough to try that, heh. Good call on the hood, I’ll grab that since it’s on sale.

Assuming I’m using acrylics and the vent hood, should I be using face protection of some sort as well?
Ok I think all the patriots are gravity, cup is on top? Also what's the model or tip size?

Compressor should be fine to start for sure.

I find with the vent hood acrylics I don't even vent it outside it captures enough in filter. Solvent based paints I would definitely, and probably a mask. I personally don't wear one for acrylics because I'm spraying into the filter and it will dry in the air by time it hits so it's just particulate.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
One other tip, metallics are really the worst due to flake size and they wear tips quickly. I highly recommend Vallejo Metal Color as best appearance and fine flake grind.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I struggled a bit with Acrylics when I started with my Airbrush. Got a lot of tip dry and struggled getting good coats on my models. Now I always use Lacquer based Primers and Clearcoats (Mr Hobby or Tamiya LP paints). They do however need an air vent and maybe even a good mask for the fumes (I usally skip that and kill my brain cells).

But even if you use water based stuff I would recommend using Lacquer thinner to clean the airbrush. I almost never take it apart, usally just clean the cup and run a bit of thinner through it untill it's clear.

Vallejo is a good brand for sure. Tamiya XF series is also easy to work with but only for airbrushing.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Ok I think all the patriots are gravity, cup is on top? Also what's the model or tip size?

Compressor should be fine to start for sure.

I find with the vent hood acrylics I don't even vent it outside it captures enough in filter. Solvent based paints I would definitely, and probably a mask. I personally don't wear one for acrylics because I'm spraying into the filter and it will dry in the air by time it hits so it's just particulate.

Model is the 105. I believe the standard tip is .5 and the detail one is around .35. And yeah, it’s a gravity cup. I don’t really plan to go beyond acrylics anytime soon. Lacquer and enamels I’ve heard too much scary stuff regarding the fumes.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Then I would probably go with Vallejo Air series. I hear lots of people using it and liking them and as said above their metallics get good reviews. They also have good paints for normal brush painting, I kind of regret not getting Vallejo instead of Army Painter for that.

I used a lot of Stylnylres as primers before Lacquers. It's a good primer but needs a big tip, I think .5 should be enough but might need a bit higher air pressure.

And as how you mix, I usally check some guides on that particular paint. Vallejo Air should be ready to go with maybe a few drops Flow Improver mixed in.

The F14 build is going slow due to work. But cockpit half done and moving into the fuselage.

PXL_20231121_190357296.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users