Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got it yesterday, beat it today. All those bad reviews are pretty much accurate. It's short, the story is laughable with an ending that's just a setup for a sequel which may or may not ever happen, controls are fairly buggy/clunky, and the open world really detracts from what made the first game good. You can mitigate the last part somewhat at least; once I got fast travel unlocked, I pretty much never did any long stretches of running around unless it was part of a mission.

It's worth a rental if you don't mind a pretty major graphical downgrade on PS4 (and worse still on Xbone from what I've read) compared to the PC version. I definitely would not pay anywhere close to full price for it though. If you do play it I highly recommend you go into settings right away and turn Runner's Vision to Classic and set UGC to Bookmarks. There's also an FOV slider on PS4 (shocking) but anything past 70 degrees causes a nasty fisheye effect. Still better than the default of 60 though.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
That's a shame, I liked the original, for all its faults it tried to do something new and different both with gameplay and art direction.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
In all fairness, I didn't give the original much of a chance, but in the hour or so I played it I really didn't like it. The only reason I picked it up at all was because of the critical reception. I guess it's just not my kind of game.

Del

Vyemm Raider
The majority of fun in the game for Mirror's Edge fans is 3 starring dashes and competing for records on time trials. If that doesn't sound fun to you, then paying a full $60 is probably never going to be worth it for this kind of game. That being said, I love it, maybe not as much as I loved the first game though. A little something feels lost in an open world setting compared to the tight design of the courses in the original. However, the controls are perfectly fine (pc version), not sure why you think they're clunky or buggy.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I skipped almost all of that stuff. I only did side missions, destroyed all the towers, hacked the billboards, and maybe a third of the fragile deliveries before I just wanted to get it over. No interest at all in sitting through long-ish load times over and over to try to 3* dashes, and the diversions were fucked every time I tried (was basically a 50/50 chance that the next group of guards I'd run through would ignore me and the clock wouldn't go up).

As for the controls, I felt like I had the timing down for all her moves but every once in a while it would just be off. Not trying to string together a complex series either, just stuff like randomly doing a simple wall run and she jumps instead. Could have been a framerate issue I suppose; they do warn you that increasing the FOV at all can cause problems on PS4. I also got her stuck in geometry or on top of something that was impossible to get down from without dying, mostly while trying to find my way up to all the billboards. The clunky part was mostly the melee combat, which was awful. I just button mashed my way through all the fights and never came close to getting killed.

Del

Vyemm Raider
I agree that the combat is pretty shitty. I wish they made it always optional. I prefer evading in a game about running rather than getting involved in some shitty first person combat.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I do think this game suffered for being made into an open world game instead of closed levels. It probably would have been a better experience overall if they had just stuck with the levels.

I wanted to buy this and give it a try. Refreshing to see different, unique games. Having watched YouTube clips of gameplay and reading these reviews, I'm glad I didn't.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
The first game was pretty fun, but not worth much more than $5-10. Probably the same with this one. I can't understand why they decided an open world was necessary though, that seems like a poor design decision that would have been a huge distraction from just making good levels and story.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I loved the first game and have beat it many times. Just beat the second one. Pretty much sucked. The open world shit was pointless and ruined it really in my opinion. Felt like one of those games just trying to jump on the open world bandwagon, regardless of if it helps gameplay or not. I so wanted to love this game as I had been waiting for years, but just felt meh. The story pretty much sucked but the missions when they weren't open world, were okay (because they were designed to be linear). They could have done something epic with the whole resistance theme, but wasted it. Hell, Wolfenstein The New Order had 10x a better resistance story. When you compare this game to other $60 titles like Tomb Raider etc, it just shows how weak of an offering it really is. Thankfully I got it for $30, but I still feel cheated. Maybe worth it for $10. And unfortunately any hope for a part 3 probably got destroyed by this game. Well the first one will always be a classic.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Didn't AnitA work on this game?(like was brought in for feminism consulting?)

spronk

FPS noob
There was a petition to remove her as a consultant on ME2 but EA confirmed soon after that (this was way back in 2014) she has nothing to do with the game and it was basically a troll petition