Miscellaneous Movies

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This thread is basically to make up for the old foh movie house.
List movies that you want to discuss but are older and not really worth starting an entire thread over.

Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows
finally caught this last night. I dunno what the board consensus was but there was some pretty crap moments in a pretty decent action movie. Wtf was that telepathic shit going on between holmes and moriarty?

Real Steel
Silly but potentially awesome movie which was ruined by the bratty obnoxious fucking kid. And wtf with all the hip hop references? These are white people. And why is everyone in the future driving shitty cars from the 90s?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i also saw wreck-it-ralph last week, that was actually a pretty fucking sweet film. it made you care about the characters and it even had a great score. cant wait for a sequel.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
was listening to a pod of "How Did This Get Made?" and ran across their review of Punisher: Warzone. they were praising this movie so highly i had to stop the podcast and check it out. im 30 minutes in and holy shit this movie is brutal as fuck. lots of action, lots of cheese and it even has the stepdad from Arrow. so far this is easily one of the goriest comic book based movies i have ever seen.

edit
great fucking movie. bloodbath from start to finish. completely over the top violence and cheesefantastic acting. Jigsaw and his fucking insane brother were awesome villains.would have liked to have seen more russian mob, but oh well, cant have everything. also great metal soundtrack, rob zombie even made a not so shitty song for it.
i highly recommend this film.

edit again
went back and listened to the pod again. apparently the director made this movie because the guy the studio wanted passed and the movie she did make was so true to the comics and dark that it kinda ruined her career. she isnt happy she made it.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Finally got around to watching Attack The Block tonight. Heh was pretty fucking good. its surprisingly creative, original and funny. They didnt puss out either on the the deaths. Well cept a lil bit at the end.

Szlia

Wtf was that telepathic shit going on between holmes and moriarty?
It's actually a reference to a scene in one of a serie of famous japanese sword fight movies, itself inspired from a manga, called Lone Wolf and Cub (the manga and the movies are available in english). Anyway, the main character, a very skilled swordsman, encounters another very skilled swordsman hired to kill him. The idea is that, just by looking at their opponent's stance, both can play out mentally the fight that will ensure, all possibilities resulting in both dying. Holmes has a trump card though: the water breathing device, so a draw is actually a win. I don't remember what was the trump card in Lone Wolf and Cub or even if they actually fought. Attempts to find the clip on youTube failed miserably.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Last night I downloaded and watched the new Red Dawn.

Holy shit what a terrible movie. Though as a father who has kids who were big fans of "Drake and Josh" on Nickelodeon, it was neat to see Josh Peck in a movie.

Fidlen

Lord Nagafen Raider

Holy shit what a terrible movie. Though as a father who has kids who were big fans of "Drake and Josh" on Nickelodeon, it was neat to see Josh Peck in a movie.
I didnt mind this movie actually. Clearly we need to overlook the US being invaded so easily but for an entertaining popcorn flick it wasnt bad. Better then alot of garbage out there now.

Id rather watch Red Dawn than This is Forty again thats for sure.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I had zero issues with North Korea being one of the invaders. They do have the worlds 4th largest army and had massive help from the Russians.

My biggest gripe was there was almost no military resistance even in areas where there were military bases. Also I hate movies that end before a resolution.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>

This. effing terrible.

They have been playing the shit out of Die Hard With A Vengeance on showtime recently and I end up watching it every time. Ahh racism.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Two movies I adore but have had little luck (and spent little effort) in finding blue (sorry for the additional aside, but I fucking hate the word blu and refuse to say/type it...except for just now) ray of are - Perfume: The Story of a Murderer and Thank You For Smoking.

Never read the book by S?skind, but Dustin Hoffman and Severus Snape were in Perfume and so I checked it out and was just blown away. It was like a historical supervillain story and apparently a number of people hated the ending but I thought it was perfect and that just reaffirmed my belief that people are stupid. Also, if you like gingers and boobs, the film won't disappoint.

Thank You For Smoking is just a wickedly delicious satire and I'm a sucker for cutting mockery that's well-done.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Thank You For Smoking is indeed excellent. ive seen it a few times and its not only a good film you can actually take pointers from the lead actor and can totally convince people of whatever bullshit you want. i wouldnt be surprised he studied darren brown for the film.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just picked up Lockout, with Guy Pierce. It was a completely unoriginal story stolen by mashing up Escape From New York and Die Hard, but Pierce's character was pretty entertaining regardless. I paid $4 and don't fill ripped off. More than that and I might /shrug

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Lockout was exactly what it was advertised, a low-budget Escape From Space Jail, but with the addition of Guy Pearce, which made it even better. I don't know if he's just a total raging asshole to work with or what, but he seems way too talented to be relegated to B movies, even if he does vastly improve the quality of shit movies by being in them.

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
I just saw Next with Nic Cage, Julianne Moore, and Jessica Biel. What a garbage movie. Had an interesting premise and a pretty awesome opening scene showcasing his superpower. Then just blah blah romance movie with unbelievable bird hair Nic Cage as romantic interest and almost no action. Then, I guess I'll spoiler it but it is a shit movie I'd never recommend to anyone:

The ending reveals that the last half to two thirds of the movie never even happened. Fuck you, Next.

Waste of time.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
uh? didnt the Next end
with the kids shipped to another planet to restart civilization and cage and his parents being burned alive with the rest of the earth?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
oh shit you're right. Next is about the dude that sees like 10 minutes in the future and retcons his way through the whole movie. it was horrible.