MLB 2014 Season Thread

opiate82

Bronze Squire
rrr_img_90777.jpg

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I dont understand how someone, who gets paid 10s of millions of dollars per year to do nothing but play a sport, isn't just ripped. I'm a lazy fatass, but I guarantee if someone told me I could have 10 million a year and personal trainers out the ass to be in the best shape humanly possible, I'd be doing it. Even a lot of lineman in the NFL aren't just flabby fatasses anymore, many are 300lbs of muscle, yet baseball still has a LOT of fatass players. Just think how much better someone like Sandoval, or Prince Fielder would be if they were 50 lbs lighter, a step faster in the field, 2 steps faster on the base paths, a split second faster with their bat swing. They could be incredible.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
its basically risk vs reward and conditioning. fat fucker can hit. fat fucker got paid. fat fucker is conditioned to not give a shit.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I wonder if Sandoval is a great late-season hitter because he comes into Spring Training and the start of the season as an out-of-shape POS and it takes him several months to get back into decent shape?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I wonder if Sandoval is a great late-season hitter because he comes into Spring Training and the start of the season as an out-of-shape POS and it takes him several months to get back into decent shape?
Well his history with SF has been more like he shows up fat, gets chewed out and benched. Next offseason he shows up in shape (for him) does good and starts to think he is a god-gifted star and starts to get fat again. Rinse, repeat.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
MLB will announce 3 pace-of-play rule changes

1. Managers must stay in the dugout during replay challenges
2. Hitters must keep at least one foot in the batter's box unless an exception occurs (this was tried out during the Arizona Fall League and exceptions there included foul balls, foul tips, wild pitches and time granted by the umpire)
3. Prompt return to play after commercial breaks

AFL games were 10 minutes shorter on average.

I haven't watched a lot of baseball in the past few years, mainly because the Astros were a) terrible and b) not available on TV to half of the city, but I didn't think the batters stepping out alot was really an epidemic. I remember Nomar used to do that annoying as fuck routine after every pitch, but I always thought that was more of an outlier than a general behavior around the league.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
You obviously haven't watched Jay Bruce bat. The guys takes a lap around the stadium between every pitch.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Papa Grande, Papelbon and Kimbrel are some of the slowest fuckers between pitches... I can't stand watching them.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I remember Nomar used to do that annoying as fuck routine after every pitch, but I always thought that was more of an outlier than a general behavior around the league.
Nomar might have started the trend but it feels like every Red Sox player since does the same. Watching a Yankees/Red Sox game is just brutal, they're always 3.5-4 hours long. SOOOOO slow.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I mean seriously though, what the fuck could possibly happen to their batting gloves while watching a pitch go by that requires adjusting them? I hate that shit.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Pat Doney ?@PatDoneyNBC5 3h3 hours ago
Yu Darvish in his first ever press conference in English & was asked if he quit on the Rangers last year. His response: "That is bull$***."

haha

opiate82

Bronze Squire
That is amazing!!!!!

You know, because most of the time players just say "oh yeah, I quit" when asked that question and when they don't say that they usually say "no comment." Never has any athlete, when asked if they quit on their team, ever implied or explicitly said they thought the question was "bullshit."

moontayle

Golden Squire
Most stars exercise a fair amount of tact when speaking to the media, so I thought it was funny.

Ass.