MLB 2023: Houst*n wins, America loses

Other than your favorite team, who wins the 2023 World Series?

• Total voters

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Pretty sure it has to be player requested and team approved. When the bill comes due, it effects their salary cap at that time.

Dodgers going all in and buying 10 year options on margin at the same time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
They tried that in the NHL and the league put a stop to it and penalized teams retroactively. MLB should do the same thing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They tried that in the NHL and the league put a stop to it and penalized teams retroactively. MLB should do the same thing.
It was annoying when the NHL did it. They could have put a stop to it much sooner but let a bunch of reduce the cap hit contracts slide then looked like dumb fucks when the kovalchuk contract dropped.

Also, their recapture penalty was equally fucking stupid as most player just went on the long term injured reserve until their contract expired, so no one really got penalized and those contracts were traded to shitty teams so they could get to the salary cap floor without spending actual dollars.

Moral of the story, don’t copy anything the NHL does.

Last edited:

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Despite the 68 million dollar per year deferral, I think Dodgers are still getting $46 million applied towards the CBT

I don’t think it’s the salary itself that was ever the problem it was the CBT threshold

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
While that is still quite a bit of money towards the CBT, that still isnt the whole enchilada that should be contributing towards their number.

There are probably 5 or 6 organizations (NYY, NYM, LAD, BOS, PHI are the 1st ones that come to mind... I am sure there could be more) that can pull off this kind of deferral for this heavy amount and still be sustainable as a franchise.

This is horse shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Baseball is fundamentally broken as a modern era sport.
  1. They have a commissioner that allows cheating.
  2. They have owners that don't see competitive balance as necessary. Big market teams are happy to scoop up all the game's talent and small market teams are happy to cash their luxury tax checks.
  3. Because of the luxury tax, they subsidize franchises, with dead fanbases, to linger in markets like Oakland, Miami, Kansas City, & Tampa. If your home to road attendance differential is greater than 100%, your bum ass should get moved to another market.
  4. They have a players union that is incapable of giving up one $0.01 today, even if it means the next generation could make $1.00 ten years from now. They are a union for the top 5% of their players, while the other 95% suffer for it.
  5. Their fanbase is aging, locked to local/regional markets, and more than 60% of age 11 - 26 Americans say they have zero interest in baseball. It is going the wrong way, fast.
  6. Baseball is slow. Baseball is difficult. It requires a specific field. It requires a multitude of specific types of equipment. It is a individual sport that requires a team.
  7. MLB player's are becoming more and more foreign and many don't even have the ability to give an interview in English.
  8. MLB has no marketable stars and their attempts are embarrassing (MLB The Show 23, Jazz Chisholm, lol).
  9. Apparently, they still allow stupid shit like 97% deferred contracts? Yah, no way this can go bad. It not like other sports banned these practices years ago.
  10. Guaranteed contracts, no salary cap, and a 3/5 year rookie/minor control window have such dramatic effects on everything that the entire sport is broken. They are a house built on sand. You can't fix anything till you fix these things.
The only answer to all of this is to make someone like Theo Epstein the Commissioner and over the course of a 10 year plan, copy 80% of the ways the NFL does business.

• 4Solidarity
  • 4Like
Reactions: 7 users

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Muurloen Muurloen RN

It's OK, don't cry.....give Jose a hug.

1702550372886.png

• 1Worf

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
To be fair, I fully agree with Fight Fight 's post above. I'm just OK with it because it's my favorite player and his new team taking advantage of the "rules" they have in place.

MLB is dying and they need to do something before it's too late.

• 1Like

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Its not that its the Dodgers, its gaming the system that is put into place to keep the rich ($$$) getting richer (in talent) thus allows them to get even more richer ($$$) to continue to buy off talent at a price that isn't heavily punished enough, thus allowing them to bring in more FA talent to continue the cycle.

Positive feedback loop?

What is worse is that I highly doubt that this is going to be addressed as the parties involved are gonna make money hand over fist. Top tier players are gonna make a shit ton of money over longer periods if time, and the owners are gonna be raking in the money during the active portion of the player's contract, and paying out the balance with no interest after the player is done.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
If he was smart he should have demanded the entirety of the deferred money be placed somewhere to draw interest and he keeps the interest.