MLB 2024: Rangers Conquer Texas, Then America

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Heh. Not even a headline on ESPN after being the top story the day prior.
They probably know that the public thinks its a bullshit story.

In time we will see if anything additional comes out.

Can't wait for DodgersBro to come out swinging away in defense of him.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Need an allegation that betting on baseball happened before you can call for someone to be pete rosed. He was probably paying his friend's gambling debts until his lawyers got wind of it and told him how much trouble he could get in and not just MLB trouble but actual legal trouble.
League Rule 21 (the lifetime ban rule) includes illegal betting of any kind.
League Rule 21 states that players and team employees are prohibited from placing wagers, even legal bets, on baseball and from wagering with illegal or offshore bookmakers. It also mentions the possible punishments, which may be largely left up to the league's front office.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
League Rule 21 (the lifetime ban rule) includes illegal betting of any kind.
Sure but even if it comes out that the 'he was paying my debts/no actually he didnt know anything about it' is just a double-cover story for his own betting they aren't going to ban him outright unless he was specifically betting on baseball games.

Pete Rose is still pretty widely reviled to this day. If Ohtani was banned for betting on other sports the public opinion would be on his side.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Sure but even if it comes out that the 'he was paying my debts/no actually he didnt know anything about it' is just a double-cover story for his own betting they aren't going to ban him outright unless he was specifically betting on baseball games.

Pete Rose is still pretty widely reviled to this day. If Ohtani was banned for betting on other sports the public opinion would be on his side.
If Pete Rose had bet on baseball today, it wouldn't have been a life-time ban either. Indefinite suspension, sure, but he'd be in the Hall of Fame.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If Pete Rose had bet on baseball today, it wouldn't have been a life-time ban either. Indefinite suspension, sure, but he'd be in the Hall of Fame.
Well at least that's one thing that wasn't fucked up by Manfred's incompetent corruption.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

EDIT the idea the interpreter was somehow transferring millions at a time w/o anyone noticing and not confirming it is laughable

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Ohtani is a once in century kind of player, but he isn't Michael Jordan and this isnt the 90s where shit doesn't get swept easily under the rug.

This is gonna be bad for him and the game.

• 1Worf

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Pete Rose is one of the greatest baseball players of all time and should be in the HoF.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
IMG_1212.jpeg

• 8Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Basketball bettor, but on theme. Betting has the potential to ruin American sports. Only a matter of time before that bill comes due.

1000002899.jpg

1000002897.jpg

1000002895.jpg

• 1Solidarity

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden

reviled? By who? The only people I have ever seen recently that support his ban are the faggot Baseball writers of America, the same pearl clutching pompous faggots that will vote against all time greats to be in the hall just to keep them from being unanimous. The same faggot writers who refused to give the MvP to Ted Williams in 4 seasons he was the clear winner because they didn’t like him and fought to limit him to 2 MVPs. I say that as a Yankees fan for fuck sake. Dude should be a minimum 6 time MVP but they fucked him. The same asshole writers who vote against players with clean records just because they played in the steroid era.

thats the only people who oppose Rose to the hall. Your average fan thinks he should be in. He’ll, every 60-70 year old fan I know from work, or family, or friends families, even my friends boomer ass crotchety “classic baseball” minded dads, they all say “well he paid his dues and deserves to be in the hall. M

Shoeless Joe and Rose have been over punished for decades and the scum bags who decided it have waged a war to convince the fans to agree. And it barely works anymore. More people opposed the bigger bases than Rose going in the Hall in recent polls.

Ohtani needs to be suspended for a year. No ban u less they can prove he was involved in bets on his games then a ban. But I don’t think they will ever have concrete proof of that. The NFL suspended Calvin Ridley for a year for rocking parlays on draft kings. The MLB needs to take a stand

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
he paid his dues
Aside from showing zero contrition for 35 years, the fact that he kept himself on the roster while playing below replacement level to reach and pad the hitting record raises some questions about what exactly constitutes throwing a game. But even if I concede that nobody cares what he did anymore, letting Rose in while Joe is still banned is an absolute non-starter for me since Joe was just an illiterate bumpkin who never actually participated in throwing those games.

You aren't wrong that Ohtani should be suspended if the 'paying his friends debts, no wait his friend stole from him' shit turns out to be an attempt to cover up Ohtani's gambling. Given the terrible state baseball is in right now and Ohtani's status as their biggest star in a long time, I'd bet you tree-fitty that they'll sit on the report and go with the cover story as long as he was only betting on other sports and not baseball.

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider