MMA Thread

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I had some wrestler friends who I'm pretty sure had their growth stunted by trying to cram into lower weight classes for years on end. Adults risking their kidneys for competition is one thing, but kids, nope.
I'm only 5'6" and my siblings are both 6' (and also never did any of the sports shit); I kind of never got a second growth spurt at all, and I wouldn't doubt the weight cutting contributed. Basically starving myself for a couple of weeks at a time every month for half the year, every year of school.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

supposedly 8 fighters said the fighter's scale was .5 off.

UFC statement
1651883862068.png

read a comment said he looses 20%, all ppv points and bonuses
his last fight it was reported/estimated $600k flat and $500k ppv share

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Ever since I started wrestling in highschool back in the mid 90s, weight cutting has just been a thing.
My Freshman year I was on JV and we had a dude that wrested for us at 140. But when it came time for League and CIF, they moved him to Varsity. Only problem was the only available weight class was 103. So he cut down from 140 to wrestle at 103. Now, he wasn't a giant by any stretch, so getting down to 120 or so probably wasn't a big deal. Still, not at all healthy. Kid was really good though, ended up placing 8th in state that year, and was a back to back champ his junior and senior years. If I recall he wrestled at 145 those years.

I'll never forget how drained he was once State was over though.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
They don't allow extreme weight cutting anymore in high school wrestling. At least here in AZ. you weigh in at the beginning of the year and I believe they allow a pound a week for cutting from your first weigh in at the start of the year.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
You would think the UFC would do everything in its power to work with the commission and give Oliveira every opportunity to make weight for a title fight.....but they didnt. They actually let this sink their title bout, the first time in the UFC's history that a championship was taken off the table via a fighter being stripped due to missing weight. I mean, this fight is taking place in Arizona, and Im not sure how strict their Athletic Commission is, but no one would have cared if Oliveira touched the towel or something to make the weight and have the title stay on the table.

Instead the UFC just looked at him and shrugged. Even the look on his face when he looked over to the official, he looked genuinely shocked and confused, not about missing weight, but that they werent going to allow him to figure it out, or make a shady decision to make it work etc. He was up there all alone, over weight, zombified and stunned.

*tin foil hat*

The UFC is excited about the development and let Oliveira eat shit so they can set up a mega bout with Conor McGregor for the vacant title. If Oliveira wins he fights McGregor for the vacant title. If Geathje wins, they dont make him the champ, and then make him fight Conor for the vacant title.
dave-chappelle-dylon.gif

Youre saying the UFC should have tried to get the AZ athletic commission to let Oliveira cheat? Like ru being serious? How the fuck can the UFC as a company help a fighter lose weight? They gave him an extra hour and a 2nd opportunity to make weight. WTF can anyone aside from Oliveira and his team do to get him to the correct weight at that point? Yeah great idea to just start changing rules on the fly, promote cheating or telling random fighters its ok if you dont make weight. That absolutely wont completely fuck up the integrity of the sport.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
View attachment 411407
Youre saying the UFC should have tried to get the AZ athletic commission to let Oliveira cheat? Like ru being serious? How the fuck can the UFC as a company help a fighter lose weight? They gave him an extra hour and a 2nd opportunity to make weight. WTF can anyone aside from Oliveira and his team do to get him to the correct weight at that point? Yeah great idea to just start changing rules on the fly, promote cheating or telling random fighters its ok if you dont make weight. That absolutely wont completely fuck up the integrity of the sport.
Do you not know who you are replying to? You must not spend much time in the NFL thread.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah mine was in NorCal in 95-99. I've heard everything tightened up pretty early into the 2000s there though.
Hah, you may even know his name then. He was a senior in 95 and won State. I went to Calvary Chapel, had a real strong wrestling program back then.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
How did Oliveira, and his ENTIRE FUCKING TEAM, not understand he was going to be heavy? Did he not step on a scale at any point leading up the his final cut? How could you not anticipate being over the limit? This is so bizarre, he must of been cocky and just assumed he would slip in at 155, 155.1 and be able to ultimately get there, thinking he didnt have to pay closer attention. But then how the fuck was he not able to lose the .5 lbs? I remember situations where guys were over .5 over and still made it after the initial check. This is not in the UFC's best interest.......OR IS IT????

You would think the UFC would do everything in its power to work with the commission and give Oliveira every opportunity to make weight for a title fight.....but they didnt. They actually let this sink their title bout, the first time in the UFC's history that a championship was taken off the table via a fighter being stripped due to missing weight. I mean, this fight is taking place in Arizona, and Im not sure how strict their Athletic Commission is, but no one would have cared if Oliveira touched the towel or something to make the weight and have the title stay on the table.

Instead the UFC just looked at him and shrugged. Even the look on his face when he looked over to the official, he looked genuinely shocked and confused, not about missing weight, but that they werent going to allow him to figure it out, or make a shady decision to make it work etc. He was up there all alone, over weight, zombified and stunned.

*tin foil hat*

The UFC is excited about the development and let Oliveira eat shit so they can set up a mega bout with Conor McGregor for the vacant title. If Oliveira wins he fights McGregor for the vacant title. If Geathje wins, they dont make him the champ, and then make him fight Conor for the vacant title.

Which commission let D.C. grab the towel that was held across the scale for him and force his hands down into it?

DC had failed to make weight and on another attempt they said fuck it, just grab this shit. Once a cheater always a cheater.

The commission was complicit in it, as they maintained strong tension on the towel while he used both hands to put downforce on it.

Media made a little noise over it. Everyone saw it. Maybe that's why something like that couldn't be done for Oliveira. Since so much noise was made when DC did it, even if they commission wanted to, they can't anymore.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah it's unethical but if I were the UFC I absolutely would have told someone in Oliveira's camp to set him up for the towel trick so he could at least try and get away with it. It's a pretty big embarrassment for the UFC to have this happen to a title fight. Cormier towel tricking to make weight for whatever fight that was ended up being pretty damn weak as far as scandals go.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
And clarifying "a little noise" meaning bellyaching from fans, bloggers, and MMA internet sites.

No actual MMA journalists covering MMA with access to UFC had demanded answers, or suggested punishment. It was rubbed off as more of a joke officially than anything else. "Oh yea that towel, ha ha...". I think DC even laughed about it and said it's a wrestling trick when asked softball questions on it. The way was clear for Oliveira's camp to at least try to set it up-- it was well worth a shot given the precedent.

Goatface

looks like rules says weigh ins supposed to happen 24 hours before event, but were held 2 hours early

seems like a nothing burger but seems sites are running with it

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

looks like rules says weigh ins supposed to happen 24 hours before event, but were held 2 hours early

seems like a nothing burger but seems sites are running with it
If someone had brought that up yesterday maybe he could have demanded more time to make weight but it sure as shit is too late now.

Maybe even a 70% purse is too much money to pass on, but if I were Oliveira I would have seriously considered slipping in the tub last night or something.