MMA Thread

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
UFC has also done a shit job of building interest in rising new talent. All their draws are 30+ but that's not the main problem, it's the fact Goldberg was just much better at selling mid card fighters as the next big thing, every fighter was the next big thing during the UFC golden era. He could take a piece of complete shit and make an instant brand out of them.

Sort of need that used car salesman hype. DC tries, but it's just a weak imitation comparatively.

Too bad they couldn't work anything out with Goldie.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
UFC has also done a shit job of building interest in rising new talent. All their draws are 30+ but that's not the main problem, it's the fact Goldberg was just much better at selling mid card fighters as the next big thing, every fighter was the next big thing during the UFC golden era. He could take a piece of complete shit and make an instant brand out of them.

Sort of need that used car salesman hype. DC tries, but it's just a weak imitation comparatively.

dc sucks
cruz sucks
felder sucks

the "give a former fighter a job" experiment is over, just say no

i guess it's sad bisping is the okist out the sucks

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Agree, Bisping is pretty great. I think Cruz says good stuff, but does it in a style that isn't exciting or interesting. His style just sucks energy, rather than build it.

I do miss Goldberg. He would say some dumbshit 3-4 times a broadcast, but his energy/hype level was really needed. Anik just doesn't hit the same.

Goldberg and Joe must have really hated each other. That is the only reasoning I can come up with as to why he was dumped. I have listened to Rogan for hundreds, if not thousands, of hours and this point and he never talks about Goldberg. Joe is the, "if you don't have anything nice to say about someone, say nothing at all" type.

• 1Like

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Goldberg was pretty bland but I do miss him and his "And it is all over!". Rogan is so good you would think he was was coach, crazy how well he can call what's going to happen before it happens in fights.

Goatface

Agree, Bisping is pretty great. I think Cruz says good stuff, but does it in a style that isn't exciting or interesting. His style just sucks energy, rather than build it.

I do miss Goldberg. He would say some dumbshit 3-4 times a broadcast, but his energy/hype level was really needed. Anik just doesn't hit the same.

Goldberg and Joe must have really hated each other. That is the only reasoning I can come up with as to why he was dumped. I have listened to Rogan for hundreds, if not thousands, of hours and this point and he never talks about Goldberg. Joe is the, "if you don't have anything nice to say about someone, say nothing at all" type.

i couldn't find it, but think it was on one of the fight companions. someone asked joe if he was going to take over goldberg's role and joe went on maybe 5 mins talk about how great mike was.

ufc just wanted him gone, wasn't any talk. iirc, they just called him and said nunes/ronda was his last card and that was it. dana didn't say anything to him.

• 2Like

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Why do all the replies say it isn't O'Malley? This some sort of PR stunt I don't understand?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
look at how many names for 301 are black

98556ed020ab88d4df9e80186f33b93c.png

Goatface

UFC 301

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)

Champ Alexandre Pantoja (125) vs. Steve Erceg (125) – for flyweight title
Jose Aldo (136) vs. Jonathan Martinez (136)
Vitor Petrino (206) vs. Anthony Smith (205.5)
Michel Pereira (186) vs. Ihor Potieria (185)
Caio Borralho (186) vs. Paul Craig (185)

PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN/ESPN+, 8 p.m. ET)

Joanderson Brito (146) vs. Jack Shore (145.5)
Karolina Kowalkiewicz () vs. Iasmin Lucindo (116)
Elves Brener (156) vs. Myktybek Orolbai (155.5)
William Gomis (143.5) vs. Jean Silva (146)

PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, 6 p.m. ET)

Drakkar Klose (156) vs. Joaquim Silva (155.5)
Jamie Mullarkey (155) vs. Mauricio Ruffy (156)
Dione Barbosa (126) vs. Ernesta Kareckaite (125.5)
Ismael Bonfim (156) vs. Vinc Pichel (156)
Kevin Borjas (125.5) vs. Alessandro Costa (125)

wonder if another case of his scale being off

In a bizarre circumstance, a fight has been scrapped from UFC 301 – after a fighter successfully made weight.

William Gomis (13-2 MMA, 3-0 UFC) struggled to make the walk to the scale Friday in Rio de Janeiro for his featherweight fight on the prelims against Jean Silva (12-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC). Wearing a T-shirt and shorts, he got on the scale and was 143 pounds – a full 3 pounds under the non-title featherweight limit.

He needed to be helped off the scale and behind the stage, though, and it was reported that he vomited just prior to coming to the scale. His condition was deemed bad enough that the fight was canceled not long after the official weigh-ins.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Weight cutting is stupid, dangerous, and makes fights worse for the fighters and the fans. I wish there were a good technical way to ban it.

• 2Solidarity

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Weight cutting is stupid, dangerous, and makes fights worse for the fighters and the fans. I wish there were a good technical way to ban it.
Fight what you walk around at within the parameters of weight classes....... simple as that.

Once the fight is signed, you are weighed and you maintain that weight.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'd like to see something like a daily weigh-in for the week leading up to the fight but I feel like the financial burden would inevitably fall on the fighters, most of whom don't get paid shit.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Fight what you walk around at within the parameters of weight classes....... simple as that.

Once the fight is signed, you are weighed and you maintain that weight.

That's not realistic, though. You want fighters to be in peak condition for the fights. There really is a combination of training that optimizes performance but that's not maintainable indefinitely. The issue is short term dehydration. ONE got closest with their hydration monitoring, but as it turns out there are ways to cheat that too.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
That's not realistic, though. You want fighters to be in peak condition for the fights. There really is a combination of training that optimizes performance but that's not maintainable indefinitely. The issue is short term dehydration. ONE got closest with their hydration monitoring, but as it turns out there are ways to cheat that too.
Realistic? I mean give or take 5 lb during the course leading up to the fight, but cutting 25+ lb over a few days and rehydrate that weight back is bullshit.

When I covered MMA here in Houston, there was a fighter by the name of Brian Melancon. The guy is 5"8" walks around 205 and was cutting to fight at lightweight. At one of the weighins he looked like absolute death and it fucked his kidneys so bad, that 1) he could never cut that kind of weight again and he had to fight at welterweight, which eventually got him to the UFC, and 2) it cut his career extremely short because his kidney function were failing.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Machida won the LHW belt fighting at his walk-around weight, I think he typically weighed in at like 202/203. Sure his career was something of an aberration but he proved that it's possible to compete at a high level without weight cutting.

• 1Like

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Machida won the LHW belt fighting at his walk-around weight, I think he typically weighed in at like 202/203. Sure his career was something of an aberration but he proved that it's possible to compete at a high level without weight cutting.
And then he dropped down to MW when he started getting beat up at LHW. But point taken.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
And then he dropped down to MW when he started getting beat up at LHW. But point taken.
You mean that 3* fight win streak he was on when he dropped weight classes? (Asterisk is because he pretty clearly won his last fight at LHW 30-27 no matter what those dumb as fuck judges said). MW was when his career went off the rails, partially because of the 18 month suspension but mostly because he couldn't adapt to fighters that didn't play into his strengths.