MMA Thread

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
The first instance was bad enough that it was 2 strikes after, that alone could be a point but to have it happen again? Why even issue warnings if they arent immediately followed up with a point deduction.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
That fight was garbage and I feel bad for watching it. Holm has a criminal lack of power and a hilarious, "I am a 10 year old Karate student and yelling makes my punches land harder" telegraph on her strikes. De Randamie doesn't seem to know what a bell is. Cyborg could literally fight them in a 2 on 1 and win with a double TKO. Jesus, what a farce.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Should have been a draw after Germaine fouled twice. I fucking hate New York cards now because the refs and judges are both garbage.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
A few things...

Glover used to be so much more exciting to watch.

Brunson should've won that fight. He might've fought timid, but he outpointed Anderson.

I wanted Holm to win and thought that she should've, but those "illegal blows" after the horn weren't as big of a deal as Rogan and company were making them. She threw those strikes before the bell sounded (at least the first time) unless the audio was off on my stream.

Lastly, Holm makes noises when she throws strikes or even fakes throwing strikes.

P.S.S. De Randamie winning did Holm a favor. Neither one of them are ready for Cyborg.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
That fight was garbage and I feel bad for watching it. Holm has a criminal lack of power and a hilarious, "I am a 10 year old Karate student and yelling makes my punches land harder" telegraph on her strikes. De Randamie doesn't seem to know what a bell is. Cyborg could literally fight them in a 2 on 1 and win with a double TKO. Jesus, what a farce.

Holm just didn't really land anything outside of the two times she semi-dropped GDR. And I'm not being sarcastic. She just doesn't look like the decorated fighter than the UFC leads her on to be. On the same token though, GDR didn't look like that either. I don't think Cyborg has any of those credentials, but she's just gonna fuck them both up eventually. Speaking of which, since GDR has to have surgery on her wrists I won't be surprised if the UFC makes Cyborg vs. Holm for the interim title a thing since that's the current trend.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I know there is no talent at 145 but giving Holm an interim shot on a 3 fight losing streak is crazy even by UFC standard.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Should have been a draw after Germaine fouled twice. I fucking hate New York cards now because the refs and judges are both garbage.

shocking for sure, I felt that first foul was NC or DQ (depending how you want to weigh the intent of Germaine) in a smaller show where there isn't pressure to continue on the big stage.

You can't eat a shot like that after the bell and have a fair fight, its just not possible. The shot was too big to not at least have a point taken off it, but in reality, Holm had absolutely no obligation to answer the next round after that. All big show pressure and a fighters desire to continue fighting in play there.

The second foul I didn't really care about. It dealt no damage and didn't really land clean (from what I saw), so no point or NC/DQ was necessary in my book. Its that first one that was scary. You have to wonder would a male be given the same leeway? How much of a role was the NYSAC ref playing? Questions that are largely unanswered, since all fighters have respected the bell and/or not landed significant fight-outcome altering strikes.

She went out on her feet. It just shows how much flex is in the rules, you probably could push the envelope and start whacking guys after the bell ala what Cheick Kongo used to do with nut-shots. He would get at least 2 nutshots off, sometimes 3, during a fight without any real problem.

Some positive news at least on open-hand pawing being illegal now with regard to eye-pokes. That was a loophole that needed to be closed. This bell thing isn't a big of a deal as the cup-check abuse we saw during the UFC's big heyday. How many guys are going to dishonor themselves to push the envelope? Very few. Nut-shot enforcement remained the same, and fighters didn't take up after guys like Cheick.

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Great point, I did notice fighters signaling nut-shots and eye-pokes throughout the night without any action by the ref. I gave it the benefit of the doubt, that maybe the shot wasn't deemed to be troublesome by the ref.

So cup-check is open season in NY, and we don't really have any gold standard as to what should happen to fighters who strike a full second after the bell. That worries me, because as Mark Kerr reminded us in Smashing Machine, its a fight and fighters will do what they can get away with to win.

Following up on the bit about Mark Kerr's insights, see Daniel Cormier VS Anderson Silva. Prime example. Absolutely no respect and technically abusing the lack of ruleset on smothering and non-choke related throat pressure and open-hand face manipulation from the top position, which most agree are way past due. The orifice ban was intended to cover manipulation of the lips, they need to close the dirty wrestling loophole.

If D.C. wasn't D.C. I'd never watch another fight of his again, because he is dirty to the point you feel you need to protest.

Last edited:

Fedor

<Banned>
bobby holm

C4cUTj-VMAEAAsq.jpg

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users