MMA Thread

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
2017 buys ranked so far

UFC 226 Miocic vs. Cormier 380,000
UFC 220 Miocic vs. N'Gannou 380,000

UFC 230 Cormier vs. Lewis 250,000

Trend. Piece of shit fights don't sell.

And Stipe was a draw. Period. The UFC was wrong to not promote him, deny him a new contract for a year, and then bury him.

380k could have been 450-500k if the UFC spent even 1 dollar of marketing on Stipe.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Trend. Piece of shit fights don't sell.

And Stipe was a draw. Period. The UFC was wrong to not promote him, deny him a new contract for a year, and then bury him.

380k could have been 450-500k if the UFC spent even 1 dollar of marketing on Stipe.

Yeah how do they not market a blue collar guy that's still a firefighter. People eat that shit up.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He could have and should been as big a marketing draw as Ronda, GSP, and Chuck but they chose to neglect him.

Brown Pride got a bigger push from the UFC and, uh, yeah... Good job Dana.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
He could have and should been as big a marketing draw as Ronda, GSP, and Chuck but they chose to neglect him.

Brown Pride got a bigger push from the UFC and, uh, yeah... Good job Dana.
pushed onto a hospital gurney, is more like it.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I didnt like Brendan Schaub at first but after watching him on TFATK and JRE he has grown on me. Its hard to not like the guy, he doesnt talk shit about people for no reason, he is a very positive person, and is KIND of funny, sometimes. Either way good for him having left the UFC to go on and have success in the digital media entertainment landscape, as well as TV, having a show on Shotime as well as being a co host on E!

He calls out Dana on his bullshit, and its refreshing. When Dana talked shit about Ngannou after his 2nd loss, Brendan called him out for being a faggot and told him thts not the way you treat your fighters or do business. And he is right. And now he is defending himself from White, who constantly attacks him, and this goes back to when Schaub was fighting, where Dana publicly tried to shit on Brendan, saying he didnt have any endorsements, and was trying to shut down certain deals he had etc.

Dana is an idiot sometimes. He acts like he is this fair actor, but he is the furthest thing from it. Im surprised Rogan even does any shows now. If he wasnt a fan of MMA and combat sports in general I think he would have just walked by now. Dana probably doesnt like his autonomy and links he has to guys he doesnt like.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Jon Jones destroyed Cormier with just a trace of an illegal substance in his system. He has had super long lay-offs that have probably helped with head injuries etc. Alex will not bode well in the rematch.

The VADA thing was only a recommendation. Why accept it and wake up at 5am to do a piss test if you don't have to a couple extra times a week?

If he had accepted it could have set forth a recommendation becoming a precedent for all fighters.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The VADA thing was only a recommendation. Why accept it and wake up at 5am to do a piss test if you don't have to a couple extra times a week?
this would have been ALONG WITH, USADA also concurrently knocking on the door.

Which is stupid, cuz who have we caught really? thespider? you know what, the entire MMA world saw him crack his leg in half, let him have some roids!

Ryan Bader? actually no he was innocent

Chad Mendes? he had some illegal/foreign creme for his shedding skin

Brock? yea, that was difficult

big nog and jds? they were getting tainted brazil sups

i mean look at this, USADA says, we use the "smell test"
de723c948f9a1881af1d83b3bdea3f20.png

wow, looks like someone really wants to catch Yoel, but they still manage to test the forever cripple, Dcruz 7x? also, why are there so many bitches getting super tested? obviously test cyborg, but Karate Hottie at 8?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
wow, looks like someone really wants to catch Yoel, but they still manage to test the forever cripple, Dcruz 7x? also, why are there so many bitches getting super tested? obviously test cyborg, but Karate Hottie at 8?
Gonna be honest and say that I'd have tested Hottie more than 8 times, myself.

...for science.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
J2017 buys ranked so far

UFC 229 Khabib vs. McGregor 2,400,000
UFC 226 Miocic vs. Cormier 380,000
UFC 220 Miocic vs. N'Gannou 380,000
UFC 223 Khabib vs. Iaquinta 350,000
UFC 227 Dillashaw vs. Garbrandt 300,000
UFC 222 Cyborg vs. Kunitskaya 260,000
UFC 230 Cormier vs. Lewis 250,000
UFC 225 Whittaker vs. Romero 2 250,000
UFC 221 Romero vs. Rockhold 130,000
UFC 228 Woodley vs. Till 130,000
UFC 224 Nunes vs. Pennington 85,000

In other words, Conor in one fight produced equal buys to the rest of the calendar year.

Heavyweight division, despite the talent draught, is king: UFC 226 was a shit event after Max dropped out aside from the headliner (UFC 220 had DC's LHW as co-main).

UFC 223 sold big for… reasons? The Conor effect? Is Khabib must-watch fighting now?

And lastly, Dana White needs to fix his Tyron Woodley problem. Look at all the money waiting to be made by dumping the 170lb division and creating 165 and 175. Easy money – line up unanimous title and an interim title fights for both, creating a mini tournament in the process and fair opportunity for all of the top 4 fighters. I think you call up GSP for that 175lb title and give him as many PPV points as it takes to knock Woodley out of that spot for a year or more.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I hate to say it, but that's part of the reason they didn't market Stipe more. Or any number of other fighters. 380 only seems decent when you compare it to other folks who had worse cards. But that's garbage compared to JJ, Conor, etc. And Stipe is on the extreme opposite end of the spectrum from those guys when it comes to temperment. A quiet, upstanding family guy if I'm remembering right. Not exactly someone who makes the news, creates controversy and blows the PPV buys through the roof. And let's be honest here...that's all the UFC cares about.

The UFC wants a HW that is a draw like Brock, just w/o the other commitments and who (preferably) doesn't piss hot.

I also think another reason is that the HW division is fucking volatile as fuck. It doesn't make as much sense from a business perspective to dump a lot into a HW champ when the odds are good that they won't make it past 1-2 title defenses, and then you're off with another Champ. They were probably shocked that Stipe made it to 3 (successful, that is)

• 2Like

Goatface

Conor McGregor's Dolly Attack was Giant Publicity Stunt, Lawsuit Claims

UFC fighter Michael Chiesa claims Conor McGregor's steel dolly attack was a publicity stunt intended to hype his fight with Khabib ... and now he wants ALL of Conor's UFC 229 profits.

Long story short ... Chiesa (who was injured in the bus attack) claims NY law bars people from profiting from criminal activity and requires them to turn over ill-gotten gains to their victims. It's called the Son of Sam law.

In new court docs filed by Chiesa, the UFC fighter argues the April 5 dolly incident drove up interest in UFC 229 and boosted sales of Conor's Proper 12 whiskey brand, so all profits should be handed over

=====

lol

• 3Like
  • 1WTF
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Fuck yeah getting tickets to that even though I don't think Cain will make it to Feb 17 without getting hurt

• 1Solidarity

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
So who all thinks either Cain trips and falls and breaks something on the way to the Octagon, otherwise Francis loses by way of Technical Bear-Mauling?