MMA Thread

Fedor

<Banned>
How-UFC-Fights-End-2013-Edition.jpg

How-UFC-Fights-End-2013-Edition.jpg

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
every time that chart gets updated it reinforces my hatred of the 125 division. 63% decisions? Fuck you, midgets. It's a smaller sample size though.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Upcoming UFC is a Brazil card. I picked multiple underdogs for some reason, which is dumb since these cards are always stacked with mismatches Fuck it, I'm going down with this ship!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Phil Davis against Lyoto Machida at UFC 163. Pretty big opportunity for Davis here, although I think I'd pick Machida. Wonder how long he can stay ranked #1 without being given another title shot.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I give Davis exactly zero chance. Machida has incredible TDD and he eats sloppy/slow strikers alive.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I give Davis exactly zero chance. Machida has incredible TDD and he eats sloppy/slow strikers alive.
Pretty much this, and it kills me to say. I was head driver of the Phil Davis bandwagon before he even hit the UFC, but he just hasn't shown the kind of improvement needed.

He's got elite BJJ, but his wrestling hasn't translated to elite takedowns in MMA yet. And his striking is improving really slow for a guy with his physical ability. Not even sure where he's training now, he was with Alliance and Lloyd Irvin but I'm not sure that's even still a gym what with all the rape allegations etc for Irvin. And Alliance doesn't seem to be cranking out great strikers.

He's only 28, he's got time to still take that next big step, I'm just not sure what it will take to push him there. Also someone needs to look at his giant feet and figure out why the guy is always slipping and sliding around the mat like he's on fucking ice.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I feel the same way. He hasn't lived up to his potential. Which is funny because he came up at the same time as JJ with a similar grappling, athletic lanky type style. JJ grew into a monster and he just kind of stagnated.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
JJ was and is a very natural striker. He's learned the grappling more and more since he came in. Phil is sort of the opposite, natural grappling prodigy. Within a year of starting BJJ he won a world championship( blue belt 221lb+ super HW division). But he just hasn't taken to the striking like JJ has the grappling since then. Just no idea how much to can attribute to natural ability and how much to training. JJ has been with Greg Jackson almost from the start. Love or hate the camp, fighters there are very very well trained. Davis was at Lionheart gym, whatever the fuck that is, and now the Alliance gym started by Brandon Vera. You just have to imagine if he was at Jackson, AKA, or Alpha Male(now that Bang Ludwig is there and seems to be working great) he'd be getting the striking attention he needs.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Conor McGregor needs to be moved to a TV slot imo.

Also, as much as I might end up getting this wrong, I think Phil Davis has a better chance against Machida than you guys might think. I'll even go as far as to say that he has more so of a chance than any other wrestler Machida has faced. It'll probably go to decision but wouldn't be surprised at all if Davis taps him in the 2nd round.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
With Connecticut legalizing MMA New York is now the only state holding out. Good work, Vegas union!!

Canada just formally legalized it as well. So even the 51st state is ahead of New York.

geffe71_sl

shitlord
now ill have a choice of Mohegan Sun or TD garden to watch a fight

Edit: though I wish they would have a FUEL card at the Dunkin Donuts Center

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
I'm totally bummed the Brunson/Markes fight got cancelled. Markes got a in a car accident and got a concussion. Brunson was gonna whoop that ass and was plaining to put money on that one. I'm telling you that dude can't get a break. Outside of the Souza KO and the Controversial Decision against Kendall Grove, Brunson looks like a bright prospect.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
this is a very fast main card...

Edit: another first round finish woooo, also wtf Feijao, he outlcassed Thiago's striking badly for the first.... 2 minutes? Then he just stopped fighting and gave up.