MMA Thread

Jive Turkey

Karen
In almost every championship fight ever, unless it's a complete blow out, the judges will always score the 3rd round for the champion. They seem to always use it as the tie breaker round. To be champ, you have to definitively beat the champ. The belt isn't going to swap hands in a close fight

• 2Like
  • 1Cutler
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
In almost every championship fight ever, unless it's a complete blow out, the judges will always score the 3rd round for the champion. They seem to always use it as the tie breaker round. To be champ, you have to definitively beat the champ. The belt isn't going to swap hands in a close fight

This is why I don't understand the outrage, unless it really is as simple as people letting their hated for Jones cloud their judgement. This went the way close title fights always go, and it was a lot closer than the first Shogun vs Machida fight was.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just measure the outcome like this.

Would it have been more of an outrage for John to lose a decision and his belt to Dom in that fight?

I say yes. It would have been more questionable if the result was reversed and Jones' run ends on that judge's decision.

He needed to look convincing in rd5 to win that fight and he wasnt. Reyes is tough as fuck though, and would probably beat any other fighter at light heavy.

• 2Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I mean he clearly wasn't completely gassed, he still was able to sprawl and scramble when Jon went for take-downs, but he definitely wasn't as fast or aggressive. I'd be surprised if there isn't an immediate rematch.

Also I think people are way overreacting to that one retarded judge who scored it 49-46.

Would rather see a healthy Santos with both legs working now that Reyes cemented the so-called "blueprint".

Reyes ain't no Santos.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Jones' run is impressive as fuck even with all of the controversy. When did he start to dominate and become a household name?

Probably around the time of the Hamill fight I would think? When was that in 2010? He has held the title since 2011.

A 10 year tear in the UFC is almost impossible.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
He has held the title since 2011.

A 10 year tear in the UFC is almost impossible.
Yeah but don't gloss over him being stripped of his title and basically having 3-4 entire years of inactivity because it scandals. It's not like the guy was reigning on top destroying all challengers for a decade. The same thing is happening that happened with Silva; he's losing what originally made him a draw. Jon Jones fights are not exciting for me because I know they'll be good but because I hope he loses. I haven't enjoyed a JJ fight in a while.

18 fights in 10 years. Fucking whack.

• 2Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Jon Jones fights are not exciting for me because I know they'll be good but because I hope he loses. I haven't enjoyed a JJ fight in a while.
well theres your problem, he'll never lose b/c he has jackson/wink, and with that he surpasses GSP's record for title defenses, also b/c of jason/wink, both fighters became really boring in the end, just getting the "W", in order to secure a legacy.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I get what you are saying, but a JJ Fight is no where near as boring a Floyd Mayweather Fight.

As a JJ fan I was honestly concerned he might get caught in this last fight with the volume Reyes was putting out, however, after Jon walked through that Upper Cut I knew he would be fine...well I at least had that thought run through my mind.

Last edited:

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
He also holds an unbreakable record of being the only fighter to be stripped of multiple titles.

• 1Worf

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Yeah but don't gloss over him being stripped of his title and basically having 3-4 entire years of inactivity because it scandals. It's not like the guy was reigning on top destroying all challengers for a decade. The same thing is happening that happened with Silva; he's losing what originally made him a draw. Jon Jones fights are not exciting for me because I know they'll be good but because I hope he loses. I haven't enjoyed a JJ fight in a while.

18 fights in 10 years. Fucking whack.

His fighting activity has been sporadic at times to say the least but which significant lhw's didn't he beat? Rumble is the only one that comes to mind and as disappointing as not getting that fight is he's pretty well cleaned out the division for a decade. He's had a long enough career at this point that I don't think his actual age really matters, he's just becoming an old fighter.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
He's had a long enough career at this point that I don't think his actual age really matters, he's just becoming an old fighter.
He's only 32.
giphy.gif

• 1Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I shouldn't have skimmed his post, but saying 'his actual age doesnt matter' is kinda stupid.

• 1Salty

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
No, he is saying that even as a young man of only 32 Jon's body is old. Like me, I am only 43 but my body feels more like 50+ due to all the wear and tear of football and being 300+ since I was 17.

Kinda like your palm and penis. You might be a spry 30 something, but your dick and your hand are like Galadriel when it comes to mileage.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
but Reyes was swinging more. Volume is a metric even if the fighter misses. Swinging more shows aggressiveness, willingness to engage, and creating opportunities.

Worried you might be behind on points? Just start throwing as many strikes as you can, who cares if you miss with them all, it'll earn you those volume points!

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
well theres your problem, he'll never lose b/c he has jackson/wink, and with that he surpasses GSP's record for title defenses, also b/c of jason/wink, both fighters became really boring in the end, just getting the "W", in order to secure a legacy.

Except he isn't getting the W, same as GSP against Hendricks.

He's taking L's and getting gifted decisions.

Santos and Reyes both beat that ass. Jackson Wink system leads to a GSP end-game. We are starting to see that now play out with Jones.

• 1Solidarity

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Except he isn't getting the W, same as GSP against Hendricks.

He's taking L's and getting gifted decisions.

Santos and Reyes both beat that ass. Jackson Wink system leads to a GSP end-game. We are starting to see that now play out with Jones.

Don't forget Smith not accepting the DQ Win.

• 1Like