MMA Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
um did anyone know this was the tuf finales? lulz
tuf is such garbage they don't even bother putting them as a co-main

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Holy fuck did Geoff Neal look good. Probably the best fight I've ever seen him fight. That left was disgusting. It doesn't hurt that Luque was using ZERO head movement, but still. Didn't expect that at all, considering he got beat by Magny and Wonderboy fairly recently. I also didn't even realize he had a win over Belal until his post-fight with Bisping, which is kind of crazy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Any streams for the Ryan vs Pena BJJ match tonight?
Not going to happen, likely. FloGrappling has their IP locked down hard and the event isn't big enough for serious pirates to stream.

Anyone who has paid attention to BJJ in the last 15 years will be sad to know that 33 year old 8x world champion Leandro Lo was murdered last night at a club by an off-duty cop. Witnesses said the cop was a BJJ purple belt, knew who Lo was, picked a fight, and then shot him him in the head after being restrained and released.

Reddit has more current info than the BBC:

• 2WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Not going to happen, likely. FloGrappling has their IP locked down hard and the event isn't big enough for serious pirates to stream.

Anyone who has paid attention to BJJ in the last 15 years will be sad to know that 33 year old 8x world champion Leandro Lo was murdered last night at a club by an off-duty cop. Witnesses said the cop was a BJJ purple belt, knew who Lo was, picked a fight, and then shot him him in the head after being restrained and released.

Reddit has more current info than the BBC:

Thanks for sharing, so sad. Just makes me angry.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Any streams for the Ryan vs Pena BJJ match tonight?

Save yourselves the time. Pena declined to continue after 46 minutes of a relatively sedate match that was even up until the last couple minutes. He said he didn't want to compete due to being mentally messed up due to Lo's murder (they were very close friends), but the promoters and Gordon insisted so he went until he just wasn't feeling it. A boring shitshow all around.

Last edited:

Goatface

1659962101746.png

he also said that was the last fight on his contact, he got 75k + 17k sponsor bonus

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I'm going to UFC 278 next weekend. First live event after watching the sport for decades, pretty excited. Hopefully Usman isn't a snore.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I'm going to UFC 278 next weekend. First live event after watching the sport for decades, pretty excited. Hopefully Usman isn't a snore.
Be prepared to be disappointed. The energy at the events is awesome, but that is it. Watching the actual fights at home with pause and replay as well as the announcers is superior. If you go to it with the expectation of enjoying the spectacle and possibly missing some of the action in the octagon you will be okay. That said it is probably worth going to at least one just for the spectacle.

I have been to 6 or 7 live events. I will be in Vegas the weekend of Nate vs Khamzat and I will either go to a viewing party or just watch it in my room with my friend.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've been to two UFC's and pretty much agree. The hype, the build up, and the energy is pretty great... but when you weigh the total cost + inferior viewing experience, TV/Viewing parties are just better most of the time.

Baseball, Hockey, and Soccer are the sports I prefer the stadium experience to the broadcast. Football, boxing, and UFC are better on TV. Basketball is pretty fucking stupid in either scenario.

• 2Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Be prepared to be disappointed. The energy at the events is awesome, but that is it. Watching the actual fights at home with pause and replay as well as the announcers is superior. If you go to it with the expectation of enjoying the spectacle and possibly missing some of the action in the octagon you will be okay. That said it is probably worth going to at least one just for the spectacle.

I have been to 6 or 7 live events. I will be in Vegas the weekend of Nate vs Khamzat and I will either go to a viewing party or just watch it in my room with my friend.

I got to shout at Randy Couture and James Tony from the floor.

It was worth it.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I got to shout at Randy Couture and James Tony from the floor.

It was worth it.
My first live event was UFC 98, I was drunk with a buddy and we scalped tickets. After we got in the doors my buddy had to take a leak when he came out of the bathroom we had floor seats. To this day I ask him whose dick he sucked in the bathroom to get those tickets. He swears a guy drunker than us left them on the sink while washing his hands.

Anyway, we were about 4 rows back and all I remember was Hughes laying on Serra for the better part of 5 rounds. I was novice fan at that time. I started listening to JRE later that year, learned about BJJ and started appreciating the ground game more. Kind of funny how they were the best live seats I have had, but I'm couldn't appreciate them because of my own ignorance.

I even remember posting on the original FoH about how boring that fight was and got a bunch of negs.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>

Yeah I'm just excited for the atmosphere. I realize I am going to be staring at the screen 95% of the time, and not the cage. Not sure where the seats are, as my daughters fiancée is who purchased them, so I am not expecting them to be great. I've been watching MMA for long enough that I always wanted to at least go to 1 of them, so this will most likely be my only time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user