MMA Thread

Haalen_sl

shitlord
The gif Fedor linked showing a guy do it in Japan shows what can happen if you fully torque it and turn your body. Arm kersnap. It's funny because that gif was linked somewhere last week, I remember seeing it and thinking how crazy it was.
Probably a surprise to no one, but that gif is Shinya Aoki. Going by Sherdog's Fight Finder I think it was done to Keith Wisniewski is Aoki's 5th pro fight

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
7V2ArKq.gif

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
JJ has thoughts on the controversy.

Saw an article this week explaining that the open hand to the face thing is an old school MT stance/technique that helps land elbows, which we've seen him use very effectively. In MT it went away mostly when western boxing stances started to take over. Also they have closed gloves.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
What will Fedor do now?

UFC: Web 'pirate' owes $32M for stealing live MMA events

This Staten Island tech geek had better bolt his parents' front door.
The Ultimate Fighting Championship is suing Steven Messina, 27, accusing him of being one of the Internet's most prolific piraters of their wildly popular Pay-Per-View events.
The mixed-martial-arts behemoth is seeking $32 million from Messina, who lives in Great Kills with his mom and dad, according to a Brooklyn federal lawsuit.
The UFC claims in its suit that Messina uploaded 141 UFC presentations to controversial file-sharing sites like Piratebay and provided a PayPal donation link to keep the illegal practice going.
While Messina thought he was operating anonymously from his parents' home under the moniker "Secludedly," UFC investigators tracked down his real name and location and avalanched him with the massive civil suit.
UFC officials took note of Messina after he became increasingly cocky about his growing online status and referred to himself as the "Provider of Best MMA & Boxing rips online!," the suit states.
He asked viewers to "Help Me Cap PPV!" through his PayPal account, called "MMA Capping Fund!," according to the court papers, which allege he was trying to become the king of PPV pirates online.
He and his cohorts "are intent on becoming the most well known pirates and infringers on the internet by making their mark on the major torrent websites available on the internet," the suit states.
Messina did not return a call for comment.
Along with HBO Boxing and Vince McMahon's World Wrestling Entertainment, the UFC is one of the highest-grossing PPV attractions on television.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
High school wrestler Aaron Pico ditched the last year of high-school and all college to focus purely on international competition and the 2016/2020 Olympics. Also "highly decorated in boxing and other combat sports". He beats top ranked college wrestlers already at age 17. And he wants to be a UFC champion some day.

The Beaten Path: Aaron Pico Is the Future King of Fighting | Bleacher Report

So if he went hardcore in to MMA after 2016 he'd be coming in at ~20, and if he waited until after 2020 he'd still only be ~24.

Mostly just interesting because guys like this don't usually get on our radar this early. It will be interesting to see how he develops.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I was just reading that article this morning, really fascinating stuff. You have to wonder if you will start to see more kids like him take that path if he is successful.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maldonado has balls. Unfortunately he's going to be a fucking vegetable by age 40 the way he fights. Still, good on him for saving the fight and taking an opportunity to climb the ladder.

edit: BTWFight Night 40 this weekenddoesn't have much star power, but it is packed to the brim with almost guaranteed action fights. 13 fights and like 9-10 of them are almost definitely going to be fireworks. And Matt Brown vs. Erick Silva is maybe the most guaranteed action fight ever. I think Brown takes him out, Silva hasn't beat anyone. He destroys the people he is supposed to, but he's come up short in the big fights. And Brown is a fucking killer. Here's hoping his back is fully recovered.