MMO's should have servers with different difficulty levels.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Wasn't Wildstar an experiment in bringing back difficult upper level content? I never played past beta, but I know a common complaint was the difficulty of the encounters.
Pretty much, most of them were pretty damn difficult.

Orly? But do you have to look like a disney pixar character for 8 year old girls? I'm no graphics whore but that is kind of a deal breaker tbh.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
With the way WOW has scaled its mobs, they could easily change individual difficulty without having to assign separate servers. Option 1 (Easy/Casual): Mobs have 50% Damage / 50% Hitpoints, Option 2 (Normal): 75% Damage / 75% Hitpoints. Option 3 (Hard): 100/100, Option 4 (Hardcore): 200/200. If permadeath was an option, that should probably be on a separate server. Loot could even scale. Honestly, the best thing to happen to WOW in years is the Mythic Dungeons scaling like Greater Rifts. They are brutally challenging above M+4 with the gear level available right now. Random secondary modifiers on mobs also adds a lot of challenge (mobs have higher hitpoints, or mobs drop pools on the ground, or enrage at 30%, or twice as many trash mobs).

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Permadeath is not a mainstream option, not as long as people use Comcast or there are Blizzard level server issues or an infrastructure that can't handle DDOS attacks. Just doesn't work for online games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
And yet is a sizeable pull for Diablo... If wow had less of a time sink compared to Diablo (minus boy farming 3000+ players), it may be more feasible. Especially with how easy and fast leveling is now. There's a lot to lose, but then "seasons" of wow work a lot like Diablo on a much longer time frame (but with actual new shit coming out). I guess the point was to see, now that they're heavily taking influences from their other games, how far they're going to, or could possibly take that conjoining of concepts.

For a while I kept pondering to myself if you had WOW type mechanics in a world of Skyrim. Boom. Legion. I just wish they had as many quests. World quests start to feel pretty damn redundant when they don't change for an entire week, and then getting a lot of the same ones the next week...

I don't like permadeath. It isn't too bad in fun little roguelikes but not in an MMO. I would just like tougher mobs. I had a lot of fun in early GW2, the mobs were really tough, so going to the edge of a map to collect one of those skill points was a dangerous adventure in itself. I played with some real life friends and we went out hunting those things and really enjoyed it, it was a dangerous journey but so rewarding to get stuff because everything was so knife edge. When you got it everyone shouted YUSSSS!!!!! and that little boost really mattered. After release when the dumbed they living shit out of it, you just ran around everywhere collecting everything without even having to pay any attention. It was like an entirely different game, a completely different experience, just by changing the effectiveness of mobs.