Monster Hunter Series

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I preordered the game, having never played any of the past games. So am I going to rage quit in frustration while trying to figure it out?

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I preordered the game, having never played any of the past games. So am I going to rage quit in frustration while trying to figure it out?
Yup, have something close buy you can punch so you dont toss your DS accross the room.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
It isn't nearly that bad. MH games tend to ramp up difficulty with mob placement/location as you play through the story. For example, you aren't running into Rathians within the first dozen or so missions of MHTri, you instead run into Great Jaggis and I think the weird banana water monster boss. You definitely aren't thrown into the shark tank as soon as you hit the ground, and unless I am totally offbase, MH4 won't be that way either. It has a learning curve, but that curve appears much later in the story progression than you think. Using Tri as an example, you don't really give two fucks about allocated skills until you get to Rathian/Diablos levels, which are many, many missions into the game. Then you start modifying gear (if you aren't already aware) to fit specific playstyle needs. Until then, it's just "hit boss, avoid damage" and repeat for the most part. 4 will almost 100% be the same type of progression.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Monster Hunter is a game with a huge amount of depth, and getting into it takes a while. Don't give up in the beginning. I let a friend of mine borrow it once, and he hated it for like the first 7 hours the game. Then it "clicked" and he enjoyed the hell out of it after. Don't worry to much about what gear to use in the beginning. You'll start to learn what works and what doesn't as you go. It's really fun and will give you a shit ton of hours in terms of entertainment.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I never played any until 3U, and that was only because it was recommended here on the forum. While like most new people, I didn't quite grasp the depth of it in the beginning, for me it was immediately fun, and just got progressively more so, as I continued to play. Wound up dropping about 200 hours on it before I declared done for myself; even though I hadn't even killed all of everything yet (No H. Jhen, A. Lagi, Gold/Silver, Lucent Narg), only H-Rank 50ish. With this one having even more content than 3..... shit.... probably 250-300 hours.

Gatsuh_sl

shitlord
I never played any until 3U, and that was only because it was recommended here on the forum. While like most new people, I didn't quite grasp the depth of it in the beginning, for me it was immediately fun, and just got progressively more so, as I continued to play. Wound up dropping about 200 hours on it before I declared done for myself; even though I hadn't even killed all of everything yet (No H. Jhen, A. Lagi, Gold/Silver, Lucent Narg), only H-Rank 50ish. With this one having even more content than 3..... shit.... probably 250-300 hours.
and on top of this the wifi online connection to play with others on the handheld device is...about damn freakin time. now I don't have to find local friends that like the game too in order to properly get through the g-rank/hunter ranks online where the real action is

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I played the demo for this and while the game looks really fun, there's just not fucking way I'm playing this kind of game on a portable console. Screen is too small, controls are annoying(and I don't mean the camera shit, I mean just the 3DS in general is clunky as fuck imo). To me it's a great console for RPGs like Bravely Default or Etrian Oddyssey or like visual novel type shit like Zero's Escape and Ace Attorney, but action games are a no go. If Nintendo weren't a bunch of fucktards and would have had something like Wii U/3DS connectivity where I can link the 2 and use a pad from the Wii U and play 3DS games on my TV, I'd do that shit in a heartbeat(and by that I mean buy a Wii U), but until then I'll wait for a Monster Hunter on Wii U(or if we dream, PC).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I played the demo for this and while the game looks really fun, there's just not fucking way I'm playing this kind of game on a portable console. Screen is too small, controls are annoying(and I don't mean the camera shit, I mean just the 3DS in general is clunky as fuck imo). To me it's a great console for RPGs like Bravely Default or Etrian Oddyssey or like visual novel type shit like Zero's Escape and Ace Attorney, but action games are a no go. If Nintendo weren't a bunch of fucktards and would have had something like Wii U/3DS connectivity where I can link the 2 and use a pad from the Wii U and play 3DS games on my TV, I'd do that shit in a heartbeat(and by that I mean buy a Wii U), but until then I'll wait for a Monster Hunter on Wii U(or if we dream, PC).
I am with you. But you should buy a wii u then with monster hunter III ultimate. I have it but need to try to get into it.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
Yeah no I know that, I guess I should have said a new one. This was just a port of the old Wii game, I was hoping for a port of 4 with the new weapons, monsters, mounting and all that stuff.
Yeah, given your under-title I figured you did but never know with these semi-obscure things.

Agree too about the Wii-U 4, I'm holding out that they'll announce it at TGS after the initial rush on 3ds version and the MH 3DS is over

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah no I know that, I guess I should have said a new one. This was just a port of the old Wii game, I was hoping for a port of 4 with the new weapons, monsters, mounting and all that stuff.
Yeah but aren't these games just continual rehashes with a few little gimmicks added and a few monster skins? Everything else is pretty much the same is it not?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Yeah but aren't these games just continual rehashes with a few little gimmicks added and a few monster skins? Everything else is pretty much the same is it not?
It's more like Pokemon and the Battlefield series.

The basic gameplay, weapon types, and some of the bosses are the same(because that's what fans expect). However, each new mainline title has all new maps, added weapon types (Elite Blade and Insect Glaive for this title), tons of new monsters (75 in this title), and new gameplay elements/shakeups.

Every review I've seen says this is the Monster Hunter yet, and no criticisms of of it being a rehash. If you boil it down and take an extremely dismal view, then I guess you could convince yourself it's just a rehash. But you can do the same for almost every game with sequels.

If anyone has gotten MH4 yet, add me to your friends, my NNID is below.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
It's more like Pokemon and the Battlefield series.

The basic gameplay, weapon types, and some of the bosses are the same(because that's what fans expect). However, each new mainline title has all new maps, added weapon types (Elite Blade and Insect Glaive for this title), tons of new monsters (75 in this title), and new gameplay elements/shakeups.

Every review I've seen says this is the Monster Hunter yet, and no criticisms of of it being a rehash. If you boil it down and take an extremely dismal view, then I guess you could convince yourself it's just a rehash. But you can do the same for almost every game with sequels.

If anyone has gotten MH4 yet, add me to your friends, my NNID is below.
Ok that makes sense. I played the Demo on my 3DS. Being I still need to get into the old one on the Wii U first, I will keep trying to get into that one instead first.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Don't even remember what my nnid is, but I'm sure I'm already friends with some of you from the bravely default thread.

Supposed to be delivered today, but who knows. At least I didn't order this one from Dell like I did majoras mask, I'll be lucky to get that before Easter

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I'm having a pretty great time with this (purchased my first 3ds as well).

5344-0913-8024