Monster Hunter: World

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So can anyone explain this game to me for someone that never touched a monster hunter game before? If this is coming to PC I might have a look at it.

FoH crew trying to coax Mkopec to play MHW

BlueIcyGartersnake-size_restricted.gif

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
How does the expansion work when it comes to new players? Do they have to grind through the base game to get to take part in it? Also are there plans of reducing the base game price because jumping in at this point would cost $125cad to get base and iceborne.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You still gotta go through the base game. But it does give you superior armor and weapons to torque through it. It does not make it a cakewalk though as Brando Brando has discovered. If you're totally new to the game you'll be going through the same pain points everyone else did.

Just with a strong handicap.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How does the expansion work when it comes to new players? Do they have to grind through the base game to get to take part in it? Also are there plans of reducing the base game price because jumping in at this point would cost $125cad to get base and iceborne.
When the game releases they'll have a bundle with both the expansion+base game for a full game price(60euros or whatever it is in canadian dollars, the usual). They can't release that in advance for whatever reason though but you can get the preorder bonus(which is just an armor skin nothing too important) if you buy the master edition before Jan31st.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not at IB yet, stuck on Kushala. That's Rotten Vale right? It seems like a bit harder item to get, will have to look it up.

I'm on Xbone so I do have Icebourne already :) I think once I get past Kushala I'll get to Xeno pretty quick but man, this has been a bitch.

No, I did one try last night with the LS though that was promising and should have stuck with it. My issue was I didn't have any more flashbugs handy so switched to the HBG since I could only carry 3 at a time and that was bad as I've barely used the HBG to this point. Going to farm some bugs today to carry with to make more pods as the fight goes along and will probably down him tonight with the LS.

Edit: The other issue with HBG was it's not clear in the game that what ammo they can shoot varies by model. I only can build Defender, Bone and Iron models without farming more. All 3 of those are seemingly Spread ammo build type HBG meaning I need to be right next to Kushala to really have work. I can only carry 3 Cluster ammo and only the lvl 1 variety for instance on the Bone model whereas the Defender I can't carry any if I remember correctly. So while the weapon may seem better with the right loadout for this monster, the ones I have available probably are worse than just using my LS.
Yep, Plunderblade is in Rotten Vale. Really easy to get this one, but it could take a bit of time waiting around. Go to Camp 11, then head into Odo's lair, you'll either see a Palico OR a Lynian Researcher. If you see the Palico, you're lucky and the quest will start up automatically. If its the Researcher, talk to him and he'll tell you he is waiting to see Odo pass through with some meat. This is what could take awhile, you'll have to wait to see Odo path back to his lair and leave, once he does, go back in there and you should see the Palico.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Excited to finally play through Iceborne this weekend as god intended it, on the PC.

Playing through the base game again was a treat, but knowing how quickly everything will get replaced I didn't do any grinding past the main story - was kind of tempted to work on the db's and a long sword or two, but the defender weps are so good I thought I'd just roll with those until I replace them in the early parts of the expansion. Just did as many mantles/charms/jewel unlocks as I could and hope I'm g2g

• 1Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Fuck it, downloading this now. Who knows, maybe it will end up like Persona 5 or Fallout 3 as games I didn't play at first because there were things about them I thought I wouldn't like and it ended up being a mistake. They both ended up being two of my favorite games, time to give this a game a chance.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fuck it, downloading this now. Who knows, maybe it will end up like Persona 5 or Fallout 3 as games I didn't play at first because there were things about them I thought I wouldn't like and it ended up being a mistake. They both ended up being two of my favorite games, time to give this a game a chance.
That was my feeling when I got the game. Would I like this? I put in 350+hrs on Xbox, then another 250+hrs on PS4, and now 250+hrs on PC. Don't know if the game will "click" with you, but for me, its easily in the top 5 ever.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
fuck yeah dude this game is literally my favorite game of all time, even beats out EQ.

• 2Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Excited to finally play through Iceborne this weekend as god intended it, on the PC.

Playing through the base game again was a treat, but knowing how quickly everything will get replaced I didn't do any grinding past the main story - was kind of tempted to work on the db's and a long sword or two, but the defender weps are so good I thought I'd just roll with those until I replace them in the early parts of the expansion. Just did as many mantles/charms/jewel unlocks as I could and hope I'm g2g
You won't be able to straight up replace the Defender weapons though, all the new weapons you'll want to use by the time Defender becomes bad, will require you to have their previous versions unlocked. Some will allow you to skip to the new tier, but some won't. Pick out some weapons tree's you liked, and get to unlocking them fully. For example, I'll be using the Light Bow Gun, and the first weapon (Beotodus LBG) I could upgrade too will require the Jyuratodus to be unlocked, which also contains the main LBG I'll be using for most of Iceborne (Nargacuga). So having those weapons built and rdy to be upgraded is a relief.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I did my preparations but it wasn't all that much, mostly looking up weapon progression for Lance and Hunting Horn and seeing what are meta weapons and which ones upgrade from LR/HR weapons and crafting these in advance. It was a bunch of Bone weapons though, some Bazel shit that I already had and some Nergi weapons which I had plenty of mats for so didn't need to grind anything.

I'll be starting with Hunting Horn even though I barely played it in vanilla, I did get into it last time I played when I cleaned up the achievements and all the event content and it was pretty fun and the changes in IB look like they make the weapon a lot better overall. It's great too because it's really easy upgrade paths, just bone stuff, then once I have fulgur anjanath and acidic glav I upgrade the anjanath horn into that and I'm basically done for hunting horns, there's a couple of alternatives but don't really need them since the acidic glav one is the "best" solo horn. Lance was a bit more complex since there's no particularly really good option until nergi or velkhana which take a bit longer.

Armor wise the way it looks I'll keep Drachen until Nargacuga and mix 3pc of that with 2 other pieces to get MR level of defenses and not get slapped to shit in the further fights. Maybe Beotodus belt which should give me 5 earplugs with an earplugs song, so I can just ignore some of that shit and maybe I'll keep one piece of old armor to try to maximize weakness exploit. Maybe Paolumu helm will get the job done I'll have to look into decorations and shit.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Welcome, Brother.

PS4?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Also just like the RNG god intended I have seriously nine +4 Sonorous Decorations and I have never once equipped the hunting horn...

lol. Need to get around to doing that. The songs are super super strong.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I did my preparations but it wasn't all that much, mostly looking up weapon progression for Lance and Hunting Horn and seeing what are meta weapons and which ones upgrade from LR/HR weapons and crafting these in advance. It was a bunch of Bone weapons though, some Bazel shit that I already had and some Nergi weapons which I had plenty of mats for so didn't need to grind anything.

I'll be starting with Hunting Horn even though I barely played it in vanilla, I did get into it last time I played when I cleaned up the achievements and all the event content and it was pretty fun and the changes in IB look like they make the weapon a lot better overall. It's great too because it's really easy upgrade paths, just bone stuff, then once I have fulgur anjanath and acidic glav I upgrade the anjanath horn into that and I'm basically done for hunting horns, there's a couple of alternatives but don't really need them since the acidic glav one is the "best" solo horn. Lance was a bit more complex since there's no particularly really good option until nergi or velkhana which take a bit longer.

Armor wise the way it looks I'll keep Drachen until Nargacuga and mix 3pc of that with 2 other pieces to get MR level of defenses and not get slapped to shit in the further fights. Maybe Beotodus belt which should give me 5 earplugs with an earplugs song, so I can just ignore some of that shit and maybe I'll keep one piece of old armor to try to maximize weakness exploit. Maybe Paolumu helm will get the job done I'll have to look into decorations and shit.
Hornetaur armor is pretty good early on; helm / belt have WEX (1 ea, along with a 2* slot).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hornetaur armor is pretty good early on; helm / belt have WEX (1 ea, along with a 2* slot).
Oh right I've only been looking at assignement monsters but there's probably a bunch more unlocked at that point. I guess I'll look into it once I'm playing, shouldn't be much of a problem to get armor anyway, just feel Nargacuga is probably a good point to switch since it's a fair few quests in and the set gives True Razor so it replaces Master's Touch nicely enough.

Kinda excited to have to refarm a bunch of shit tbh, this was the best part I think, once I started getting everything it was only farming tempered shit mindless for RNG decos, each AT boss like 3-4times for tickets and done, I didn't really like the whole KT farming either.