Mortal Kombat 1

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Uhg.

They could of just used 12. To go back to 1... whatever.

9 was phenomenal, I never played 10 and 11 was better than them all. I guess it doesnt matter. What are they gonna do for the following installment? Is it gonna be MK 2?

Yeah this is dumb. People are just gonna call it MK12 anyway. They did the same thing with MK9, it was just "Mortal Kombat" and everyone called it MK9 so they did MK X next.

I thought for a second that this would be a modern remake of the original MK1 story with Goro and everything. That game had some sick backstory and tons of stuff they could fill in and it'd take me back to 3rd grade when we were drawing the lore in our notebooks. Got excited for a second.

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My favorite is sequence of sequels is Battlefield. It went 3, 4, Hardline, One, Five, and then 2042. Bunch of fucking marketing retards.
Xbox numbering scheme has been along these lines.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Original MK - Armageddon: Earth and all allied realms eventually fall. Raiden sends back his consciousness before his final death blow to himself to before the original tournament.

MK9 - MK11: First reboot. Raiden with all his future memories intact realizes he needs to do things differently and does. Those who live in the original series he lets die (LK/Kitana/KL, ect) and those who died he saves (human Scorpion + human SubZero, Kano, ect). Basically becomes Earths twisted version of Shang Tsung, kills everyone opposing Earth, the Cage family are the chosen ones and not asians, and gets opposed by the goddess of time whose revealed to be behind the original timeline that’s orchestrated that way to provide the greatest chance of lasting peace across the realms and needs Earth to lose to provide this. Raiden goes back in time again to kidnap the original time line fighters because he realizes he needed asians after all and he’s part of the problem. Merges with LK. LK becomes fire god LK and kills goddess of time and gains the power to control reality.

MK 12 MK 1: Second reboot. Fire God LK becomes Bob Ross and paints a new reality with Happy Little Trees. Shang Tsung invades it and makes him angry.

Will probably still get it. Only thing thats been bothering me with fighting games lately are the infinite combos and juggling. I’m just too old to care about 769 sequential button presses and knowing that the first mistake anyone makes results in a minimum of 50% health right off the bat just isn’t fun for me anymore. I’m curious to see more though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Changing the numbering scheme is another coping mechanism for creative hacks to convince themselves they’re still doing original work.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
That would've actually been funny to see the new timeline change the "Kombat" to "Combat".

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Same reason apple went from iPhone 8 to X, Windows went from 8 to 10.

Marketing douchebags.

I guess it's always a little bit the reason why they stop big numbers and go back to one, but in the story it makes sense, with MK11 main villain being the goddess of time and the ending having Liu Kang become the new god that will have to rewrite reality.

Rude

Potato del Grande
Meh, MK11 was a large step back from 10. 9 was amazing as a nostalgic reboot.

Shang Tsung Day 1 DLC is top tier faggotry. Happy for Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, though!!
mortal kombat fatality GIF

• 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Personally, I'm over the whole fatality thing. Just make a good fighting game. I am glad they announced it and are releasing it a few months later. I wish more companies would do that.

Last edited:

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
So what are they gonna call the game after this? MK2 instead of MKII? :emoji_confused:
I'm betting on MK13 or some variant of that, its not the first time they did a "reset" of sorts but they never stopped counting the earlier games. They won't stop now.

Edit: to add, it kinda sucks that there was no Injustice in between MKs. I guess with the new direction with James Gunn, Injustice might be done.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
In this reality, Scorpion kills Sub-Zero’s family

• 1Worf

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Hope the story mode is just Liu Kang trying to create the perfect reality that someone inevitably fucks up and he just goes again dealing with the most recent issue and there's always something new.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Original MK - Armageddon: Earth and all allied realms eventually fall. Raiden sends back his consciousness before his final death blow to himself to before the original tournament.

MK9 - MK11: First reboot. Raiden with all his future memories intact realizes he needs to do things differently and does. Those who live in the original series he lets die (LK/Kitana/KL, ect) and those who died he saves (human Scorpion + human SubZero, Kano, ect). Basically becomes Earths twisted version of Shang Tsung, kills everyone opposing Earth, the Cage family are the chosen ones and not asians, and gets opposed by the goddess of time whose revealed to be behind the original timeline that’s orchestrated that way to provide the greatest chance of lasting peace across the realms and needs Earth to lose to provide this. Raiden goes back in time again to kidnap the original time line fighters because he realizes he needed asians after all and he’s part of the problem. Merges with LK. LK becomes fire god LK and kills goddess of time and gains the power to control reality.

MK 12 MK 1: Second reboot. Fire God LK becomes Bob Ross and paints a new reality with Happy Little Trees. Shang Tsung invades it and makes him angry.

Will probably still get it. Only thing thats been bothering me with fighting games lately are the infinite combos and juggling. I’m just too old to care about 769 sequential button presses and knowing that the first mistake anyone makes results in a minimum of 50% health right off the bat just isn’t fun for me anymore. I’m curious to see more though.

So uh which MKs are worth playing for the story? I played the first 3 (and UMK3) to death and then 9/X/XL/11. So by my count there are five missing in there. 8 is like a weird crossover game right?

Also for anyone who totally missed it, MK: Shaolin Monks is a REALLY good spinoff beat 'em up style game that basically retells MK2's story (and maybe also 1? I don't remember). That one is totally worth playing. Alas I think it's stuck in the PS2 gen.

Edit: By beat 'em up I mean you do a lot of beating-up in Shaolin Monks. It's probably more comparable to God of War on PS2 than it is to, say, a typical Final Fight style brawler.

Edit 2: Looks like all the PS2 MKs (5/6/7 I guess) are super inexpensive nowadays, maybe $10 each on Ebay. Prolly gonna give them a whirl.

There's like no good way to play Mortal Kombat 4 at this point though. Guess I'm figuring out N64 emulation.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

nu_11

I'm not a big fan of fighting games. Just not my type of game.

Is MK11 worth playing through? I assume there's a story mode.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
I'm not a big fan of fighting games. Just not my type of game.

Is MK11 worth playing through? I assume there's a story mode.
Story mode is pretty good, very cinematic.
You do have to play a lot of fights but you can make them as hard as you wish, won't be a problem as far as enjoying the story.
I would advise you to check out the story since MK9 though, before playing through MK11.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users