Mortal Kombat 1

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm trying to try out characters and learn some of the combos via the tutorials, but something about it I just fucking can't get used to.

I'm on PC and using a PS Controller and I hate that there isn't just a reset button, it toggles between the demo of the combo and the starting position so I have to keep hitting it twice which is annoying.
Also, I don't know if it's because I'm wireless or just fucking old, but I swear to god I'm inputting the commands in the exact same way the demo is showing but the moves just aren't executing. In particular I'm having a hell of a time when it comes to mid-combo EX moves.

To that end, while in tutorial there doesn't seem to be a way to display the inputs on screen in the same way you can in practice mode so I can't see what the game is saying I'm doing.

Lastly (and this is probably I'm not as young as I used to be - old man yells at clouds kind of thing) but I hate that the combo information is small and at the Top of the screen, rather than below where the characters are and I can't reposition it and resize it.

Right now I just have 1 monitor setup, otherwise I would just have the combos / videos on one screen while in practice mode on the other and try to learn them there.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Went to grab this and found out it isn't actually out until the 19th, unless you got the super deluxe $110 edition.

TF is this bullshit? I hear BG3 did the same thing. They've just started quietly doing this when I wasn't paying attention I guess, kinda like the new $70 normal for releases. $70 to get the game at a later date or $110 to get it at a week earlier. Course I'll just wait, not gonna support this greedy practice. I bet this'll quietly expand to the point that later on we'll have games releasing at $130 unless you want to wait a month to get them for $80.

It's all so tiresome.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
I'm trying to try out characters and learn some of the combos via the tutorials, but something about it I just fucking can't get used to.

I'm on PC and using a PS Controller and I hate that there isn't just a reset button, it toggles between the demo of the combo and the starting position so I have to keep hitting it twice which is annoying.
Also, I don't know if it's because I'm wireless or just fucking old, but I swear to god I'm inputting the commands in the exact same way the demo is showing but the moves just aren't executing. In particular I'm having a hell of a time when it comes to mid-combo EX moves.

To that end, while in tutorial there doesn't seem to be a way to display the inputs on screen in the same way you can in practice mode so I can't see what the game is saying I'm doing.

Lastly (and this is probably I'm not as young as I used to be - old man yells at clouds kind of thing) but I hate that the combo information is small and at the Top of the screen, rather than below where the characters are and I can't reposition it and resize it.

Right now I just have 1 monitor setup, otherwise I would just have the combos / videos on one screen while in practice mode on the other and try to learn them there.

PS controller, means a DS4 (ps4) controller i can imagine ?
So anyway make sure you're using the D-pad to input all the command, and not the analog stick. Also MK use a "chain sequence" unlike some other fighters like Steet.

Better explained here:

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Went to grab this and found out it isn't actually out until the 19th, unless you got the super deluxe $110 edition.

TF is this bullshit? I hear BG3 did the same thing. They've just started quietly doing this when I wasn't paying attention I guess, kinda like the new $70 normal for releases. $70 to get the game at a later date or $110 to get it at a week earlier. Course I'll just wait, not gonna support this greedy practice. I bet this'll quietly expand to the point that later on we'll have games releasing at $130 unless you want to wait a month to get them for $80.

It's all so tiresome.
That was Starfield not BG3.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
That was Starfield not BG3.

Oh okay. Either way it's this new practice that's creeping in and I don't like it.

I bet the games industry noticed the exorbitant sums being demanded for retro games on the collector market / Ebay and decided to get in on the gravy train. The thought process was probably "If people are paying $150 a pop for old games from the 80s/90s/00s, we can definitely get away with jacking up the price of current games". And yeah, this isn't gonna stop. If it works they'll keep doing it to greater extents.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
With that video, Mortal Kombat 1 already has more brutal uncalled-for police violence than the last few years of real life actually did

• 1Mic Drop

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Was there any legitimate story reason why this wasn't just called MK12? Every snippet of it that I see online looks nothing at all like the original MK in visuals or plot. Calling it MK1 means now whenever I'm talking about the old games (they come up a lot) I can't say "MK1" because that might be the new one. I'd be alright with it if it were a legit kind of remake of the original (just now with Liu Kang as the deity instead of Rayden?) and I'd actually love to play a remake of the original. Be awesome to see all the storyline that we had to get from short intros and our imaginations in 1993. But I get the impression that this is much more just a basic MK12 than an MK1 remake. And the kameos of characters who didn't show up until MK3+ also kinda kills any vibe that this is actually the setting of the original MK.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Was there any legitimate story reason why this wasn't just called MK12? Every snippet of it that I see online looks nothing at all like the original MK in visuals or plot. Calling it MK1 means now whenever I'm talking about the old games (they come up a lot) I can't say "MK1" because that might be the new one. I'd be alright with it if it were a legit kind of remake of the original (just now with Liu Kang as the deity instead of Rayden?) and I'd actually love to play a remake of the original. Be awesome to see all the storyline that we had to get from short intros and our imaginations in 1993. But I get the impression that this is much more just a basic MK12 than an MK1 remake. And the kameos of characters who didn't show up until MK3+ also kinda kills any vibe that this is actually the setting of the original MK.

I think it's just because Liu Kang reset the timeline. Now, in theory, that should mean the story resets to the original game and only those characters are around, but they obviously didn't do that. Temporal paradox situation, I suppose. The world isn't what it was after Liu Kang did whatever he did

• 1Like

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
This game is not meant to be the setting of the original MK, that would be MK9 which was in fact also called just "Mortal Kombat". This isn't the first time they've pulled this but then went right into MKX after that.
MK1 is reimagining the 3D era story with deadly alliance + deception and even a sort of Armageddon in the end.

The Story is 100% just a continuation as it always has been since the original Mortal Kombat, with a few retcons here and there.

• 1Like

Caliane

Timeline has been reset. so its now MK 1 era again, but different.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Timeline has been reset. so its now MK 1 era again, but different.

Yeah but MK9 did the same thing. Just feels weird to call it MK1 and have it not be a remake of the first game.

This game is not meant to be the setting of the original MK, that would be MK9 which was in fact also called just "Mortal Kombat". This isn't the first time they've pulled this but then went right into MKX after that.
MK1 is reimagining the 3D era story with deadly alliance + deception and even a sort of Armageddon in the end.

The Story is 100% just a continuation as it always has been since the original Mortal Kombat, with a few retcons here and there.

So this is basically a reimagining of MK5/6/maybe a little of 7? That's kind of cool. It's the era of MK that I totally missed (along with everyone else it seems).

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah but MK9 did the same thing. Just feels weird to call it MK1 and have it not be a remake of the first game.

So this is basically a reimagining of MK5/6/maybe a little of 7? That's kind of cool. It's the era of MK that I totally missed (along with everyone else it seems).
well, the difference between this and mk9 is because not only is it a reboot, many of the characters have new backgrounds. raiden isn't a demi-god, he's basically taken liu kang's position as friend and training partner of kung lao. sub-zero (bi-han) is alive and well, his younger brother kuai liang (sub-zero 2) is scorpion now. kenshi is apart of the yakuza... some of the characters are different story-wise, but end up really basically being the same, like baraka. tarkatan isn't a race, but a disease. shao kahn is general shao.

whenever previous games reboot things, they set things back to zero, this isn't even really a reboot, per se, though it functions as one. it is a direct continuation from mk11, but because of the nature of the story it serves as a new beginning to the mk universe.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
This game is riddled with issues right now.
Story is great, whatever you think about the way it goes is, of course, personal opinion, but its well told and I don't think there is a lot to complain there.
Gameplay, I'm told, by experienced players is pretty damn good.

But everything outside of that is just way too poor.
After you are done with story mode you get a couple of offline options: Invasions and Season Towers hourly/daily/whatever.
All of those towers only reward you with relics and stuff to use in invasions.
Invasions... is incredibly shallow. There isn't any kind of challenge outside of, in my experience, one boss that has a survive (you have to dodge shit) that is completely random and varies from easily done to impossible... unless you finally decide to pay attention to what they claim is important about the mode. There are types, think like pokemon where some deal more dmg to others and take more dmg from others... but its laughable for the most part.

In the end its just a grindy mode with no real challenge that never, ever prepares you in any way to learn the actual game.
Some of the random effects are just dumb, from smoke that stuns you and stops whatever you are doing to a chaos aura that just makes all your inputs random, left is now... maybe up?
I'm all for stuff like backwards directions, maybe even punches are now kicks and kicks are punches and stuff like that... but no... its not like that at all and there isn't any visual indicator of what is going on. its fucking random and its infuriating.

On top of all of this, the interface is some bullshit.
Can't pick any kind of customization for a character from the character select screen, you have to go customize before hand and you only have the one decision, there are no loadouts.
The fucking Shrine where you go to burn Koins (1 of the gazillion currencies in this game) takes like 30s+ between uses.
The Invasions mode is like a map sort of like mario party but you never ever get to see an overall map of the area, you have to follow the colors.
It feels like no one ever tested these things.

Then there is online.
There are no placement matches, so if you are good... well you have to grind your way.
And if you are bad... well... you have to get grinded by those making their way to their place.
I didn't play much online, so I don't want to badmouth it too much. Maybe I failed to see how it really works.

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Story is great, whatever you think about the way it goes is, of course, personal opinion, but its well told and I don't think there is a lot to complain there.

After you are done with story mode you get a couple of offline options: Invasions and Season Towers hourly/daily/whatever.
Invasions... is incredibly shallow. There isn't any kind of challenge outside of, in my experience, one boss that has a survive (you have to dodge shit) that is completely random and varies from easily done to impossible... unless you finally decide to pay attention to what they claim is important about the mode. There are types, think like pokemon where some deal more dmg to others and take more dmg from others... but its laughable for the most part.

In the end its just a grindy mode with no real challenge that never, ever prepares you in any way to learn the actual game.
Some of the random effects are just dumb, from smoke that stuns you and stops whatever you are doing to a chaos aura that just makes all your inputs random, left is now... maybe up?
I'm all for stuff like backwards directions, maybe even punches are now kicks and kicks are punches and stuff like that... but no... its not like that at all and there isn't any visual indicator of what is going on. its fucking random and its infuriating.

Can't pick any kind of customization for a character from the character select screen, you have to go customize before hand and you only have the one decision, there are no loadouts.
The fucking Shrine where you go to burn Koins (1 of the gazillion currencies in this game) takes like 30s+ between uses.
The Invasions mode is like a map sort of like mario party but you never ever get to see an overall map of the area, you have to follow the colors.

Then there is online.
There are no placement matches, so if you are good... well you have to grind your way.
And if you are bad... well... you have to get grinded by those making their way to their place.
I didn't play much online, so I don't want to badmouth it too much. Maybe I failed to see how it really works.

Sounds like there really isn't much to it after story mode is done. That's unfortunate cause it starts out really well.

Doesn't bother me personally, I'm playing story mode and then probably selling it to recoup like 80% of the money, as I usually do with new releases I don't intend to replay.

I gotta say, the story mode for this is surprising me with how interesting it is, and the visuals are INCREDIBLE. I couldn't put this game down for hours and I can't even remember the last time that happened.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider

Then there is online.
Not to mention your rank isn't tied to the character you are playing (like SF6). So if you wanted to take a new character in to the league your rank will most likely tank.

It incentivizes smurf accounts or just not trying out new characters in ranked at all.

Since there is no placement AND no win streak bonuses, you can get stuck as an average player (me) playing against excellent players often.

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
Hopefully it'll be patched asap.
Happened with MK9... can't believe they did it again.

• 1Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Any lore hounds in here able to tell me if I'm getting all of this right? Googling it resulted in a bunch of timelines and a general confusing mess.

As I understand it:

MK1-3: Shao Khan tries to take over Earthrealm, loses. Retreats back to Outworld after 3
MK4: Shinnok and Quan-Chi do things. IDK I never cared about Shinnok
MK5: Shang Tsung and Quan-Chi form the Deadly Alliance, ambush Shao Khan and kill him to become the new rulers of Outworld. They also kill Liu Kang off.
MK6: Onaga the Dragon King, previous Emperor of Outworld, crawls out of limbo or whatever to reclaim his throne. Turns out Shao Khan isn't dead and they only killed his clone in the previous game.
MK7: Shao Khan reclaims the throne of Emperor and launches the final armageddon against Earthrealm. Everyone fights and gets killed n' shiet. Shao Khan wins?
MK8: DC Universe stuff, probably shouldn't even be canon. Shao Khan gets imprisoned in the Phantom Zone at the end.
MK9: Timeline reset, I guess since Liu Kang is dead and Shao Khan pretty much wrecked everything. Not sure if it counts MK8 or not so not sure if Khan is in the Zone or still ruling.
MK10-11: More stuff continuing from the new MK9 timeline.
MK1: Another timeline reset where Liu Kang is a god instead of Rayden.

I guess my main questions are... did Shao Khan really win in MK7? Does MK8 actually count for anything in canon? Did MK9 reset everything because MK7 thrashed everyone? Cause this all sounds kind of crazy and maybe I need to play MK7.