Mortdecai 2015 comedy starring Johnny Depp and Gwyneth Paltrow

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I used to love Johnny Depp, now I just roll my eyes when I see a movie with him in it. I don't blame him for chasing dollars or doing silly ass fun movies, but it isn't something I want to see.

The Rum Diaries was pretty awesome, though.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Depp is the guy who gets those type of roles. Sadly, most of the movies with those roles suck and even Depp on his best day can't change that. For example, Transcendence wasn't as bad but it could have been 10x better. Morgan Freeman doesn't instantly make a movie good either but he's the guy that gets those scientist professor roles.

Caliane

This just looks bad.

Depp definitely feels miscast here. And moreso, not because he doesn't play this kind of role, but instead because he does it all the time.
Ralph Fiennes as Gustave in the grand budapest works because he's the straight man. Playing a silly character 100% straight faced.
Leslie Nielsen in airplane, and naked guns. Played all serious roles until them. Again, played them straight faced. but by the end of his career, was only doing the spoofs, and was not keeping up the straight man routine, and was not as funny.
the pink panther with peter sellers.

This looks like the pink panther with Steve Martin.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
It looks like a wes anderson movie without the whimsy...and joke timing....and camera artistry. At least they got Margot Tennenbaum.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This bombed only slightly less than Lucas' Strange Magic, which completely bombed.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
this looks terrible. depp needs to pick better roles so he can rebuild his rep or perhaps go back to acting school. what happened to the guy who made Blow and Finding Neverland? right now he is at eddie murphy Norbit levels of acting.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
It was actually quite a good movie. There were so many good lines from it, I'm going to have to see it again and take a notepad. 4 or 5 times, he said something, and I thought to myself I was going to have to remember it. But then 2 minutes later, it was lost because the dialog kept delivering.

Plot - wise, it's probably a stupid movie. But the clever dialog and gags do a fine job of masking it. Although, it's probably better if I don't build it up too much. I'm sure part of why I liked it so much is that my expectations were low.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I like Johnny Depp, I even like some of his more obscure roles. I think the only Depp movie I haven't seen is the Lone Ranger. This movie looks like an updated better version of...

rrr_img_89258.jpg

Remove Fat American and insert Skinny American with British accent.

Szlia

There are some good lines, there are some good jokes here and there and Paltrow (very sweet on the eye) is surprisingly convincing in the part of the woman in love with his wacky husband. As a whole though this is very poor. 90% of the comedic timing is off (sometime dramatically so), the plot is highly uninteresting and the character is a mess. It seems that even deep into the movie the writers are not sure if Mortdecai is supposed to be stupid, act stupid or just sound stupid as a result the character is mostly annoying. I suspect the source material works better than this movie.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There are some good lines, there are some good jokes here and there and Paltrow (very sweet on the eye) is surprisingly convincing in the part of the woman in love with his wacky husband. As a whole though this is very poor. 90% of the comedic timing is off (sometime dramatically so), the plot is highly uninteresting and the character is a mess. It seems that even deep into the movie the writers are not sure if Mortdecai is supposed to be stupid, act stupid or just sound stupid as a result the character is mostly annoying. I suspect the source material works better than this movie.
Holy shit, this movie is the pinnacle of terrible american cinema and you give it a pass for the most part.

Thanks for reminding me to watch Harry Crumb, candy was incredible

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I'm guessing when you say the timing was off, you mean you couldn't follow the dialog because it came too fast. I had that problem too, but then I have that problem a lot and I'm used to overcoming it.

Szlia

No, I mean a lot of the jokes fall flat because of poor timing in line delivery or poor editing. An example that springs to mind is when Mortdecai flees on foot at some point and is like 'hahah! I am such a great runner!' then it cuts to the fight with the man servant and then it comes back to Mortdecai exhausted. That's not funny at all. For this to work you need a jump cut. He must abruptly go from bragging to exhausted. There are dozens of things like that in the movie.

An other recent example of poor timing (along with poor writing) is Love Punch. A strange title for a comedy that is consistently lacking in punch and is unfunny the whole way through.

PS: Out of my 59 favorites movies that I saw last year, 18 are from Japan, 11 form the US, 8 from Korea, 4 from France, 3 from China and 2 from Iran (13 others from 13 other countries). Asia is mostly inflated because in 2014 I caught up with a bunch of anime feature films and went to a festival specialized in asian cinema (that accounts for 11 of the 18 japanese films and 5 of the 8 korean films). USA! USA!

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
An example that springs to mind is when Mortdecai flees on foot at some point and is like 'hahah! I am such a great runner!' then it cuts to the fight with the man servant and then it comes back to Mortdecai exhausted. That's not funny at all. For this to work you need a jump cut. He must abruptly go from bragging to exhausted.
That is the most absurd thing I've heard all year. Sure, it can work as you described, but worked well just as they did it. They made it clear that Mortdecai had not actually run very far.