Most memorable comic book moments

Caliane

I hadn"t been taking notes.
But there are a few cool things out now, or recently.

Hellboy/Beasts of Burden cross over is coming soon.
Also, Hellboy returning to the BPRD.

Incognito miniseries starting this month. If you guys hadn"t read the first one. go do so. Sleeper as well.

Death making an appearance in Action comics trolling Luthor.

Saw this preview image of Gen Lost 11. And almost called up Brian to ask to work on this page. haha. They posted it in pretty high res. I"ll totally do it myself when I get a chance anyway. (Ice totally looks like Killer frost)

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I started reading Alan Moore"s Neonomicon and the prequel The Courtyard and I"m not sure if I can call it "good" exactly and I"m not even sure how I"ll feel about it at it"s conclusion but right now I like it a whole lot. It"s about an investigation into some murders with Lovecraftian elements and it is jarring enough at different points that it works very well.

Every time I stop following The Boys I feel like such a moron when I pick it back up again. Oh, right. This comic is great. Silly me.

meStevo_foh

shitlord
One of the few hopes I have for entertaining comics atm is Apocalypse returning to some meaningful threat... I have a feeling that"s just going to be a few-issue arc that ends with Wolverine/Archangel just cutting his head off or something stupid though. I"ve rarely been able to get into the non-mainstream books, always been a Marvel and not DC fan too. Really limits what I find entertaining, especially with Marvel being so bleh, the heroic age is about as entertaining as the font choice. All I am really enjoying now is the Thanos stuff.

I keep telling myself I"ll stop downloading comics but then I end up doing it anyways, only to read something that I know I"ll never read again. It"s hard to stay interested when I only have a passing curiosity. I stop by a comic store and their variants section seems bigger than the new comics section... it"s like every issue has 9 covers and some other gimmick.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Apocalypse needs to make a face turn. For being this massive threat the character never seems to move forward or even show up with a different plan. On top of that he"salwaysjobbing for the X-Men.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
A walk down memory lane, but the end of an awesome storyline, that certainly fits this thread"s title. From Daredevil 300, part 4 of "Fall of the Kingpin".

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don"t have anything insightful to say but if I don"t get this out I fear it will eat a hole in my brain.

I have no idea what the fuck is going on with The Return of Bruce Wayne, all of the connecting comic books, and why it looks like they are using the old Supermen (Cyborg Superman, Steel, Superboy, the Last Son of Krypton shades guy) story. I admit I haven"t given any of it my full attention but I"m a little more than a casual reader and it has completely left me by the wayside. Why is Bruce Wayne now Iron Man? Why any of this?

Why!

Arbitrary said:
I don"t have anything insightful to say but if I don"t get this out I fear it will eat a hole in my brain.

I have no idea what the fuck is going on with The Return of Bruce Wayne, all of the connecting comic books, and why it looks like they are using the old Supermen (Cyborg Superman, Steel, Superboy, the Last Son of Krypton shades guy) story. I admit I haven"t given any of it my full attention but I"m a little more than a casual reader and it has completely left me by the wayside. Why is Bruce Wayne now Iron Man? Why any of this?

Why!
Nah, nothing like the old Death of Superman thing. All the characters were there, and just stepped up in reaction to Bruce being dead. Someone had to be Batman and things got shuffled around a bit and everything was fine really...

The the bad and incomplete Return of Bruce Wayne... poofed. It had a 6-issue title, with a 3? issue back up (about superman, jordan, booster & the time guy looking for Bruce) both of which point out that if Bruce returns to the present the world will end. zomg.

But, brilliantly, DC shit the bed by (as far as I can tell) releasing the "Bruce is Back" series... which is supposed to be like 8 standalones (one for each bat-family whatever)... written in a specifc chronological order, but not given to us as such. In which Bruce is running around with super-amazing-JLA-power-armor (notice most of his stuff is a copy of a nother JLA"ers powers? ), and everyone is happy and everything is solved!

Except they didn"t resolve the current horrorshow plot in Batman & RObin or the Return of Bruce (and sub-title) before doing this.

So I have no fucking clue. Maybe I missed an issue or two, but it looks a lot like DC totally shit the bed by putting stuff out out of chronological order, so it doesn"t make a lot of sense.

Totally off topic: Last 2 pages of FF were amazing!

Troll_sl

shitlord
Call me retarded, but I"ve started reading some Image stuff again, aside from Invincible. Really enjoying The Astounding Wolf-Man and Haunt.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Batman R.I.P is a decent series and some of what happens in 52 is interesting. Where R.I.P falls flat is the ending where it is revealed that, once again, Batman was fully prepared for the situation when the whole point was that it was supposed to be one where he was caught entirely by surprise. The Joker pretty ruins the all of the suspense when, after the villains have completely won, he leaves and explains that now Batman is going to climb his way out of the grave they stuck him in and kick everyone"s ass. So he"s leaving.

What happens? Batman climbs out and kicks everyone"s ass. He totally turns the tables due in part to superior prep time. Then there is an Agatha Christie 10 Little Indians style explanation involving all kinds of shit you didn"t get to see. It"s garbage and it doesn"t flow into Final Crisisat all.It fits so badly that they had to supply extra material to explain wtf was going in and when. Final Crisis was also problematic because it had nothing to do with The Death of the New Gods thing they ran months prior.

Bad bad bad.

What should have happened is that in the conclusion of Batman R.I.P he kills someone, probably Jezebel Jet. He"s drug addled, sleep deprived, he"s suffering from hypnotic suggestions, powerful hallucinogens, and so on. Mentally and physically he has been torn down by a masterful opponent to the point where Batman basically doesn"t exist. Batman of Zur En Ra, an alternate persona and mental safeguard he created prior is calling the shots but due to the inhuman stress the series concludes with Batman (the modern post-Crisis reboot Batman) taking a life. Batman still wins but once he recovers he has to deal with the knowledge that he is now a killer. The conclusion that he comes to is that he cannot be Batman any longer.

There. Now Batman has had a major and character altering event happen to him that is believable yet also small at the same time. You can do crossovers involving all manner of heroes of the DC universe trying to convince Batman to continue fighting crime, that the good he does outweighs this one mistake, that no one could possibly blame him for what he did given his mental state at the time, everything. It won"t matter. Batman"s ideals are unbending. We do not take lives. Period. That is what separates Us from Them. Batman"s incredible will is now keeping him from continuing rather than driving him forward. He disappears into exile.

Now, when you bring him back is when there is some major event where basically everyone is absolutely and totally fucked, have already lost, etc. where the only person who can save them is Batman who reluctantly enters the fray, saves the world, and comes to terms with what he did. Then you can do a series of comics (six perhaps) where you show what he was doing while in hiding.

Instead we"ve got this incredibly overwritten mess from Final Crisis onward, an unfinished The Return of Bruce Wayne series, a ton of crossover comics that don"t make much sense, Dr. Hurt getting totally punked out despite being portrayed prior as being THE FUCKING DEVIL, and now Bruce Wayne in basically Iron Man"s armor with super speed and flight and shit?

Here"s an idea, if people cannot follow the story even having read the bulk of the metric fuckton of shit you"ve put out, there is a problem. This is why people hate comics.

Arbitrary said:
Batman R.I.P is a decent series and some of what happens in 52 is interesting. Where R.I.P falls flat is the ending where it is revealed that, once again, Batman was fully prepared for the situation when the whole point was that it was supposed to be one where he was caught entirely by surprise.The Joker pretty ruins the all of the suspense when, after the villains have completely won, he leaves and explains that now Batman is going to climb his way out of the grave they stuck him in and kick everyone"s ass. So he"s leaving.

What happens? Batman climbs out and kicks everyone"s ass.
He totally turns the tables due in part to superior prep time.
I have to disagree a bit here. I thought this was awesome. Because the Joker basicly got the last-laugh on the bad guys in a way and knows they are going to lose because Batman is goddamned amazging. I loved it.

Do I wish there was some cool repercussions at the end of it? Yes. All it seemed to be was a hardcore Batman story to set him up for the shit that was Final Crisis.

The rest I basicly agree with. Final Crisis had a few cool moments but there was too much going on that was too obscure or artsy or whatever. Also it was plagued with a shitload of add-on titles that, instead of helping make sense of the main title, they were 90%+ crap... except the one that seemed to actually help explain the ending, but it"s last issues were delayed and came out like 6 months after Final Crisis was over.

I will note, that in the past few months, a few Batman comics came out that flashbacked to the end of R.I.P./begining of Final Crisis and fills a lot in... you know, like 2 years after it was over.

I just think DC has been shitting the bed on mega-events. That big superman thing a few months back was totally ignorable, zzzz...

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The scene with the Joker is, in a vacuum, great. But when you sit down and think about it all the story line does is try and convince you, the reader, that this is a situation in which a villain was using Batman-level preparation against an unprepared Batman. And then at the end it isn"t. Nope, he was ready for them again. As always.

Think of it like The Wrath of Khan. Kirk does not believe in a no win scenario but at the end of the film he has to deal with the fact that he lost and his friend died saving him and everyone else on the Enterprise. Now imagine if in the end Kirk explained some off-screen plan he enacted so that at the end he wins instead. The story loses it"s tragic aspect, the character of Kirk does not grow, and he never has to face real and genuine loss. Batman R.I.P didn"t have to hit the reset button at the end but they did anyway. That is why it fails as anything other than a typical Batman story and Batman R.I.P wasn"t supposed to be one of those.

meStevo_foh

shitlord
Back to answering the OP, at 16 years old in 1995 this became my most memorable comic moment:

2715467772_fc851a03fe.jpg

It goes on from there of course... but those frames of Joker going to town... I am pretty sure I"ll never forget.

2715467772_fc851a03fe.jpg

Caliane

Arbitrary said:
"The bat they shine in the sky... civilians think it"s a call for help. The bad guys think it"s warning. But it"s more than that. It"s something higher. It"s a call to arms... I"ve found my way to serve."
-Batwoman.

I think its been a long time coming, with the batfamily and all. He already has a small army. Even The Dark Knight Returns took this route, 30 years ago.
And Knight and Squire in Britain.

darkblue_foh

shitlord
So... just finished reading the 200 or so TPB"s(HC"s) I"ve bought and read together with a friend over the past 6 months. From Secret War to Siege (in the "Avengers line") and House of M to Second Coming (in the "X line"), and I must say... comics are fucking awesome. Glad I gave it a chance.

If anyone has ever been interested in getting into comics(Marvel especially) but been turned off by all the different titles/events/timelines etc, and the lack of information as a new reader from Marvels part. Well... me and my friend put together an excel sheet with all the Trades in it and we pieced them all together into what we think is the best reading order, as good as you can get with trades and not single issues. So if anyone might be interested in it, we could try to clean it up a bit and send it out.

Looks sort of like this.

The Ancient said:
So Batman is Iron Man now?
It seems that way, on one hand it makes sense, why not put all this high end stuff to work for him. But he as also always said that not using it keeps his edge. So I don"t know. I have no guess as to where this is going and what Bruce Wayne is going to be doing in a month, as it seems he won"t be taking the Batman thing back.

Of course, maybe when they explain how him returning didn"t destroy the universe like it was supposed to we"ll have a clearer picture.

Batman & Robin #16 wraps up a bunch of current batman questionmarks in one tight issue. Giving us some great final resolution from R.I.P.

It doesn"t begin to answer what Bruce Wayne will really be doing now though or why he didn"t end the world.