Most memorable comic book moments

Ionsniper said:
So is there a compilation of comics yet dealing with Batman"s return? Ive been picking pieces up here and there but havent found the one yet where Joker mentions Batman will return and walks ou, and then Batman portals in and kicks all their asses.
Huh? That sounds like one of the last issues of Batman RIP. Before he went away for a bit.

Felonius_sl

shitlord
Ionsniper said:
So is there a compilation of comics yet dealing with Batman"s return? Ive been picking pieces up here and there but havent found the one yet where Joker mentions Batman will return and walks ou, and then Batman portals in and kicks all their asses.
Zhaun"s_Shade said:
Huh? That sounds like one of the last issues of Batman RIP. Before he went away for a bit.
It was Batman RIP, looking at the part he"s thinking of right now.

If you"re looking for when Batman comes back theres Return of Bruce Wayne and Bruce Wayne: Road Home

Return is him actually coming back through time (Kind of gay actually, I was told to skip it and should have listened).

Road Home is alright, it focuses on one shots of all the characters finding out Batman is back. It"s 8 one shots all by diff writers/artists so they vary in decency.

Amazon.com: Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne (9781401229689): Grant Morrison: Books

Amazon.com: Batman: Bruce Wayne: The Road Home (9781401230814): Various: Books(not out till July, but the actual comics shouldn"t be hard to find)

meStevo_foh

shitlord
You guys reading Age of X? Bought my first physical comics for the first time in ~15 years this weekend... jumped cold into Age of X alpha, 1, 2, the latest Avengers because I love Infinity Gauntlet stuff and grabbed the last 2 issues of FF even though I"d already downloaded them.

Think I"m going to set up a pull box and everything for the X-books, just miss collecting. A little sad to see packs (like Infinity Gauntlet 1-6, West Coast Avengers 1-50, ROM 1-whatever) of comics I own sold for $0.50-$2/issue... I remember some of them selling for more than that the month after they released. What a dead market outside of art and whatnot.

Helps that Maximum Comics (here in Vegas) is pushing hard to be likeable and active too, lots of giveaways, discounts, etc. After the store that I worked at closed there wasn"t really anything like that here since.

Age of X looks like it could be a lot of fun or not amount to much, interested in how they involve the marvel we all love/loathe.

Wintermute_foh

shitlord
Just got back from a comic convention. Picked up an issue of 100 Bullets. It"s one I"ve always wanted to read I just haven"t gotten around to it until now.

meStevo_foh

shitlord
I know they"ve been doing it forever, but I wish they"d get away from showing things on the cover that don"t happen in the book. What is it now, 2 or 3 covers showing The Hood wielding the Infinity Gauntlet and he"s only got 2 gems?

Wintermute_foh

shitlord
Felonius said:
I"ll admit thats a great starter pack man, picked up most of those books recently myself. If you like film noire, you literally can"t go wrong with Tim Sale/Jeph Loeb. (Dark Victory/Long Halloween)
Seconded. I love Long Halloween.

TheRidic_foh

shitlord
Man, I am shocked not more people have brought up The Walking Dead. I just finished reading the first 8 TPB and Jesus, this comic is fucking excellent.

Any comic that a main character can die at any moment and actually stay dead (to undead then dead again) makes for great reading. You never know who is going to die next, and they really do kill off a fuck ton of characters.

Fantastic writing and worth the money.

And one of the more shocking moments:
Spoiler Alert, click show to read:

The guy on the table is the main character Rick. He and two others just found a town of people and thought they were safe. Nope, The guy cutting off his hand is one of the more evil SOB I have read in a comic. This is not even close to the most shocking thing in Volume 5 of the TPB. Amazing stuff in this comic guys. Rick just gets shit on just about all the time. Poor bastard...

683068-the_walking_dead___22___23_super.jpg

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I bought the first couple TPB"s of Walking Dead right before the series started on AMC. Decided to hold off on reading them to enjoy the show, and now I am hesitant to read any of them. I love the show and I know if I read the books I"ll love them too, but I"ll not get full enjoyment out of the show.

It"s hard, because I am a Kirkman fanboy(if that wasn"t obvious from my non-stop Invincible pimping), but in this one case I decided to take the series in from a different source. And I"m happy, but still torn.

Devlin_foh

shitlord
Don"t worry about the comics ruining the show, the show stayed true to the comics for about 1 episode I think.

The comics are also much much better than the show, I know it"s the old books are always better than movies argument but in this case it really is true, things happen in the comics that don"t have a hope in hell of making it onto television for a variety of reasons, they really do kill off characters just when you start to really like them ALL the time.

Guts_foh

shitlord
Walking Dead is my most favorite comic book. The show was such a letdown I stopped after the 4th episode. The characters in the comic book are way more fleshed out.
I hope Rick dies so the story focuses on his son being a stone cold zombie killing bad ass.

Wintermute_foh

shitlord
Couldn"t agree more with what everyone here is saying about Walking Dead. The comics have things I don"t think they"re ever going to be able to put on AMC.

As for the show, did anyone else feel like they blew their Zombie special effect budget in the first episode? Every episode after that felt like 45 minutes of Lifetime original drama and 5 minutes of zombies.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I pimped Red Star for years, don"t think anyone else here ever read it.

Sucks so much it"s apparently dead, because it was very cool.

Drajakur_foh

shitlord
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I"ve tried various times over the years to get into comics more seriously but I never know where to start, and the "advice" I get from the typically non-communicative subhumans that work in comic stores has always failed to inspire. Anyway, good one.

Gryeyes_foh

shitlord
Grimmlokk said:
I pimped Red Star for years, don"t think anyone else here ever read it.

Sucks so much it"s apparently dead, because it was very cool.
One of the more creative and interesting settings its fucking lame its just wasted like that. How does a setting get a PnP game but dies after a dozen issues?!

Caliane

I have the hard cover version.

Know Snakebite too. here"s his site.
art by snakebite

he"s a little crazy. haha. He influenced me alot for a while. Much of his work, was right along the lines of what I wanted to do. More natural, painted, lineart and painted worked merged into a single element. At the time, the cut and grad method was very dominate. Not as much anymore, many people have gotten on board.
Hes gotten out of comics. Teaches ps, does some animation. Has gotten into doing tattoos.

meStevo_foh

shitlord
Anyone read downloaded comics on their ipad? Comic Zeal pretty much the best out there? Seems to be working pretty awesome so far but thought it was worth asking.

Guessing the already lame Marvel Unlimited subscription is only for a PC? Seeing different numbers of comics available for iOS (1400) and online (9000+). That"s really awful.

Bizanich_foh

shitlord
meStevo said:
Anyone read downloaded comics on their ipad? Comic Zeal pretty much the best out there? Seems to be working pretty awesome so far but thought it was worth asking.

Guessing the already lame Marvel Unlimited subscription is only for a PC? Seeing different numbers of comics available for iOS (1400) and online (9000+). That"s really awful.
Speaking of Marvel Digital Comics, I got a free month when I got Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Do they basically put up a few comics in a storyline and then not finish putting them up intentionally? It basically destroys any urge I have to subscribe.