Most memorable comic book moments

Dom_foh

shitlord
So, I"m reading a few comics on my PC yesterday when I get the idea to flip one of my monitor"s vertically and just adjust the resolution. Holy shit, how had I not thought of this before? Having them take up an entire 22" screen without stretching is so much better.

Caliane

Just read this. its pretty sweet.
Nice art. Good story.

Indie cape comic. Sort of the opposite of Empire.
All crime on Earth drops to 0.

Main characters are a bit of an allegory for the iconics. Batman, female superman/apollo, etc.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Can someone help me understand something? I haven"t been a comic reader in years (really ever. I collected cards and read friends" issues in my childhood but that was it). I was never much of a DC guy, but through the magic of Justice League cartoons, drugs and a friend who"s an avid fan I have a new appreciation for it. I"m apparently one of a fraction of people for whom this whole DC relaunch is intriguing.

I just have one problem. How the fuck do I know what order I"m expected to read things in? I"ve read the little two sentence blurbs for the various new Batman comics, Superman etc. and they all sound similar enough that I"m wondering if there"s an expectation that the story continues across the different titles. God knows comics have done it in the past.

Someone who reads comics help me out, and tell me what the proper way to approach this whole thing is as a new reader.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Heylel Teomim said:
Can someone help me understand something? I haven"t been a comic reader in years (really ever. I collected cards and read friends" issues in my childhood but that was it). I was never much of a DC guy, but through the magic of Justice League cartoons, drugs and a friend who"s an avid fan I have a new appreciation for it. I"m apparently one of a fraction of people for whom this whole DC relaunch is intriguing.

I just have one problem. How the fuck do I know what order I"m expected to read things in? I"ve read the little two sentence blurbs for the various new Batman comics, Superman etc. and they all sound similar enough that I"m wondering if there"s an expectation that the story continues across the different titles. God knows comics have done it in the past.

Someone who reads comics help me out, and tell me what the proper way to approach this whole thing is as a new reader.
As far as Flashpoint goes you can follow this.

meStevo_foh

shitlord
Big events have checklists like the above you can Google up ([event name] Reading Order may produce better results), however for the number 1"s, just buy whatever is interesting and keep buying (or downloading) the next issues and go from there. As far as I can tell they"re not an event themselves, but just the relaunch of each of those titles and designed for people like you (new) and me (familiar, but not a regular) to start from.

I haven"t touched Flashpoint, I"ll probably download it as a collection once it"s concluded, but have very little desire to jump into an alternative universe full of characters I"m not that familiar with to begin with. I love that kind of stuff in Marvel (like Age of Apocalypse), but DC has never been my thing prior to this summer when I plowed through Green Lantern events.

Tried to start reading 52... think I got 4 issues in, bleh.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Lyrical said:
For the first time in my life, I am finding both Marvel and DC to be unreadable. I mean, I won"t even download this crap for free right now. Fear Itself is meh, and Flashpoint is just some lame marketing gimmick they"ll just reverse with the next Infinite Crisis Identity.
Haven"t bought any DC or Marvel for years. Just read about DC reset this morning and got excited by it, thinking they might even re-introduce some character integrity and adult writing into some of the titles.

Was only after that I found out it was an "alternate universe" bunch of crap. Surely will only be temporary and everything back to normal in 12 months.

The Definitive Guide To The DC Comics Reboot

I"ve ordered around a dozen of the titles. "Justice League Dark" and "Voodoo" look interesting. Morrison on Action has to be worth a punt.

Hawk and Dove done adult could be fantastic, but Liefeld is doing the art - massive disapointment.

darkblue_foh

shitlord
pocketchimp said:
I have 1 spare comicbt invite if anyone wants.
Got a question for you people who are torrenting DC comics. Are you planning on buying all/more/some of your comics, starting with the September relaunch as they go day-and-date digital?

meStevo_foh

shitlord
I"ve got several titles I"m interested in and will add to my pull list initially, but will probably torrent the rest. Any I like I"ll probably pick up physical copies of and add them to the list too.

McFarlane made a really good point about having your whole universe release issues the same month... in 10 months you"re going to see which titles are way behind.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
darkblue said:
Got a question for you people who are torrenting DC comics. Are you planning on buying all/more/some of your comics, starting with the September relaunch as they go day-and-date digital?
I"m pretty much out of comics right now, but my general MO with comics I"d torrent was to buy the TPB"s of the good ones when they came out. I still like having the physical copies and the collections like that are just really nice.

Caliane

Flight said:
"Creative team"
Writers/artist.
Man. fuck that shit.

Flashpoint is some fun stuff. Its a DC Age of Apocalypse. The marketing isn"t that great for it. And they aren"t really selling it as just a fun alternate world where everything is crazy and mixed up. And at the end, some of the more fun versions of the characters just might find their way into the "real" world.
The reboot killed alot of its steam.

Alot of these titles are looking good. Some more then others. I was a big Wildstorm fan, so I am definitely liking seeing these characters again.
I wanna see Ladytron join the Birds of Prey.
One thing to remember with that, is that these are just the first string. Some will get canceled and new titles will take their place. so the Powergirl, Red robin, Zealot etc that are missing now, might start up in 6 months. Also, many of those same characters whom haven"t been mentioned may also just be secrets to appear in some of the main titles.

Most of the titles I mentioned before are still looking good to me.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Arbitrary said:
I wasn"t buying comics back when Superman died and Batman had his back broke but those cash grabs almost killed the industry. This isn"t a cash grab but it"s quite a bit dumber.
Funnily enough I was buying titles back then - it was those titles and everything else that was going on at the time that stopped me buying anything from the big two right up to today.

However, I see this whole reboot as not definitely cynical or harmful. If - and of course, yes, it"s a massive IF - it really is a reboot, no going back, then it could be the "second coming" of a major player in the market place.

If (IF!) this is a new start for canon and if (IF!) we see integrity and some adult writing then DC will have my money for the first time in two decades - and on up to a dozen titles a month - for years to come.

However, the slightest hint of this being another "Bobby wakes up in the shower in Dallas" moment about all of this and they have lost me forever.

This could be THE seminal moment in comic book history since Kirby and Lee put out FF#1. But i say that and then remember they gave Hawk and Dove - what has the potential to be the greatest and most pertinent adult comic book in the world right now given world events over the last dozen years - to Rob Liefeld. ROB FUCKING LIEFELD !!!!! /bloodboil

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Flight said:
Funnily enough I was buying titles back then - it was those titles and everything else that was going on at the time that stopped me buying anything from the big two right up to today.

However, I see this whole reboot as not definitely cynical or harmful. If - and of course, yes, it"s a massive IF - it really is a reboot, no going back, then it could be the "second coming" of a major player in the market place.

If (IF!) this is a new start for canon and if (IF!) we see integrity and some adult writing then DC will have my money for the first time in two decades - and on up to a dozen titles a month - for years to come.

However, the slightest hint of this being another "Bobby wakes up in the shower in Dallas" moment about all of this and they have lost me forever.

This could be THE seminal moment in comic book history since Kirby and Lee put out FF#1. But i say that and then remember they gave Hawk and Dove - what has the potential to be the greatest and most pertinent adult comic book in the world right now given world events over the last dozen years - to Rob Liefeld. ROB FUCKING LIEFELD !!!!! /bloodboil
What?

Like Arb said, this is a lame cash grab from A to Z. I wish they never thought of it. All DC is trying to do is make charachters more diverse and younger, because that would sell better.

And they"ll just retcon it all later with Infinite Identity Crisis #2 next Summer.

meStevo_foh

shitlord
Fantastic Four ended at 588, FF will get to issue 12, and Fantastic Four resumes with issue 600 in November. FF will keep going.

Four | Comic News | News | Marvel.com

I"ve been so annoyed with FF that I didn"t even read the last issue. I like the inHumans, but to abruptly pause the FF just to tell the story over multiple issues of Black Bolt coming back or whatever... is stupid. This shit should be in a one-shot or something, just give me FF.

Now that I"ve started reading the solicits for the #2s for DC, probably only going to buy half as much, probably just the GL books. Just the "ooh, this is neat" factor wearing off.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Lyrical said:
What?

Like Arb said, this is a lame cash grab from A to Z. I wish they never thought of it. All DC is trying to do is make charachters more diverse and younger, because that would sell better.

And they"ll just retcon it all later with Infinite Identity Crisis #2 next Summer.
Almost certainly. But what if it isn"t ?

I"m quite prepared for the (probable) whitewashing of this whole phase of the DC universe and will immediately recommence my 20+ year boycott of all their titles.

But if the small chance of it becoming canon is realized then, for me at least, this is the most exciting and seminal moment in comic book history for decades.