Moving Options

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I have a one bedroom apartment in storage in MN and I need to move it to central Michigan. A Uhaul before gas would run me about $550-$600 and I dont mind doing it all myself at all but I was curious if anyone knew of any services that may do it for close to that?

Thanks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Have you looked at one of the storage pods? You fill it up, they move it and you empty it. Don't have to drive a uhaul.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah those are surprisingly expensive. I’d rather pay 1/3 the cost and load it myself and drive the 10 hours.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Yeah those are surprisingly expensive. I’d rather pay 1/3 the cost and load it myself and drive the 10 hours.

At least 5 years ago the last time I moved, the pods were a great deal even compared to Uhaul. Fuck driving cross-country with the contents of a 4-bedroom house. I broke even just on the gas differential.

• 1Solidarity

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Every quote I’ve got has been $500 min more than a uhaul which will run me about $550.

Mines just a one bedroom apartment.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Well yeah. But that’s not gonna help me move a full living room set, full bedroom set, and misc.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Right, but you have to either have a car that can tow a 16 foot trailer or arrange for your car to get to your destination while you drive the truck. If you have a S/O they can do that, otherwise you're stuck with expensive car transport (don't cheap out - I did that and my car got dinged up badly) or a very good friend for whom you have to buy a plane ticket back.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Big Phoenix Big Phoenix got me thinking and I did just remember the 2001 Pontiac Bonny I have had a hitch in it that could tow a 12x6 that should be big enough and uhaul would only charge 154 for that. Thanks for making my brain think Big P.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Lol I was gonna say did you calculate the cost of gas for your car and the time of someone else having to drive it but that works.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm already in MI. my stuff is in MN, I've been here for a year almost, I need to finally get it out here.

So I'll drive my car out there, get the trailer, load it and come back. It's a 10 hour trip because of Lake Michigan being in the way but it's not an unpleasant drive really.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Big Phoenix Big Phoenix got me thinking and I did just remember the 2001 Pontiac Bonny I have had a hitch in it that could tow a 12x6 that should be big enough and uhaul would only charge 154 for that. Thanks for making my brain think Big P.
Just be very careful on your load, thats a FWD car and a trailer on it causes the front end to lift so you lose braking/acceleration plus it's got low torque/not geared for towing. Depending on all of what your bringing, you could also possibly rent a truck from enterprise or something and haul it as well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

StJesuz

Graybeard Lurker
The UHaul route is certainly cheapest. Get a bunch of ratchet straps though, you need to secure everything down really good. Things like cabinets and couches are not built for bouncing around in a truck.

While moving about 16 hours a few things almost shredded in the back of a uhaul. Plus a tall lamp wedged itself against the roll up door, and we beat it to hell forcing the door open.

So on my next move, I bought like 20 of these bastards. They are always useful.
61218_full.jpg

We tried PODS and it was a pain in the ass. Every situation is different, but there was no place to park the pod at our destination, except on the city street. Turns out you have to get a permit for that and they wouldn't even deliver it without one. It would have been nice to have that information before hand.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
We tried PODS and it was a pain in the ass. Every situation is different, but there was no place to park the pod at our destination, except on the city street. Turns out you have to get a permit for that and they wouldn't even deliver it without one. It would have been nice to have that information before hand.
i sorta had that issue too. my first time using PODS in 2007 i was in a gated community, they came in and got turned around cuz i didn't know i needed permission. at least there wasn't a charge, just had a delay in moving. there were restricitions where i could, couldn't park the PODS (it had to be in the communical parking spots not near the apts).

so even my perceived time to move was longer (cuz of the longer treks)

i bought a hand truck and this thing has be amazing for 10+ years
41LelLADLSL.jpg

it's been with me on 4 moves, it can convert to a 4 wheel horizontal platform in a second. those are actually air tires and it took 10years for one to blow, it only costs 15bucks to replace it, and it was worth it, with it somehow i moved a full sized 6ft dresser.
The UHaul route is certainly cheapest. Get a bunch of ratchet straps though, you need to secure everything down really good. Things like cabinets and couches are not built for bouncing around in a truck.

While moving about 16 hours a few things almost shredded in the back of a uhaul. Plus a tall lamp wedged itself against the roll up door, and we beat it to hell forcing the door open.

So on my next move, I bought like 20 of these bastards. They are always useful.
View attachment 192644
here's a good vid on how to store the ratcheting tie downs nicely.

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just did some internet searchinig and found some fairly comperable to uhaul prices for moving fromm the midwest to florida at least once you consider putting gas in the uhaul for the trip, and they also load/unload. Think for my 3 bedroom house to be moved I was quoted ~$2200 and that included disassembling shit and loading/unloading as well as their insurance for the trip should something break. haven't moved yet though but likely going with them unless i'm able to stumble on something cheaper somehow prior to the move in ~3-4 months

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
What I did notice though is often the initial quote wasn't that amazing but after you don't accept it for a day or two i started getting email followups with "hey we have a truck scheduled to be coming back from your area around those dates without a load and we can offer you ~60% off" type of offers that got pricing down to what i mentioned above

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I'm planning my move out of California. I'm going to northwest Arkansas. Has anyone used the big moving companies? I have a family of 5 and a lot of shit to move. We're talking a semi truck or possibly two of the largest u-hauls. It's funny if you put the destination in the uhaul calculator. It's $4,500 from CA to AR, but it's $1,200 from AR to CA. Hell, if they have an unlimited mileage rental it may be worth flying to AR, renting two, talking my brother into driving the second one back, and doing just that.

I don't look forward to the move(s) at all. I say moves because the smart thing to do would be to rent a house for some period of time so that I can make a very informed home purchase, but I may fly out over spring break to do a whirlwind real estate tour and just buy something. I don't want to do a gigantic, 2,000 mile move and then move all that shit again 6 months later. Then again I don't want to buy a house that my wife isn't completely happy with and hear about that for years either.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users