Moving Options

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I'm planning my move out of California. I'm going to northwest Arkansas. Has anyone used the big moving companies? I have a family of 5 and a lot of shit to move. We're talking a semi truck or possibly two of the largest u-hauls. It's funny if you put the destination in the uhaul calculator. It's $4,500 from CA to AR, but it's $1,200 from AR to CA. Hell, if they have an unlimited mileage rental it may be worth flying to AR, renting two, talking my brother into driving the second one back, and doing just that.

I don't look forward to the move(s) at all. I say moves because the smart thing to do would be to rent a house for some period of time so that I can make a very informed home purchase, but I may fly out over spring break to do a whirlwind real estate tour and just buy something. I don't want to do a gigantic, 2,000 mile move and then move all that shit again 6 months later. Then again I don't want to buy a house that my wife isn't completely happy with and hear about that for years either.
if you're gonna move soon don't forget to make accounts for trulia/zillow/realtor and start tracking your potential homes now to see where the market is and how it sells etc.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
if you're gonna move soon don't forget to make accounts for trulia/zillow/realtor and start tracking your potential homes now to see where the market is and how it sells etc.

Yep, all over it. Realtor seems to be the one that's used the most in the area I'm looking at, but I also have daily Zillow alerts. The amount of new construction is incredible, so that dominates the report.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Yep, all over it. Realtor seems to be the one that's used the most in the area I'm looking at, but I also have daily Zillow alerts. The amount of new construction is incredible, so that dominates the report.
you can register as a homeowner on zillow,(for your sell home) i believe realtor and trulia are agent only, also since you are CA, redfin

Nija

<Silver Donator>
you can register as a homeowner on zillow,(for your sell home) i believe realtor and trulia are agent only, also since you are CA, redfin

I'm more worried about the logistics of the move than finding a place. I'm keeping my remote work jobs so there is no salary hit at all. It's just straight California costs of living to Arkansas costs of living. I'm trying to estimate the move cost, but I think I'll have to call a few companies and get some quotes instead of armchair QB on our beloved forum.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I'm more worried about the logistics of the move than finding a place. I'm keeping my remote work jobs so there is no salary hit at all. It's just straight California costs of living to Arkansas costs of living. I'm trying to estimate the move cost, but I think I'll have to call a few companies and get some quotes instead of armchair QB on our beloved forum.
all i can help you with is to recommend reading citydata, it's basically the only forum with real ppl that give real life examples and shit, b/c moving is a rip off game, you'll never find a "helpful" website b/c every website is created just to get you as a referral to a who knows what kind of rep company.

here are the moving posts

• 1Like

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Thanks. Fun with numbers. I'm about 2h15m from Reno.

UHaul numbers... I'm looking at both a truck and a trailer, but I'm looking at both because I'm considering taking a trailer load of items out over spring break and putting them in storage.

One way trailer from CA to AR: $1,050. Reno: $924

... One way 26' truck from CA to AR: $4,500. Reno: $3,278.

Incredible. It's like CA is paying UHaul to discourage people from leaving.

• 1Like

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
UHaul numbers...

People on citydata recommended Penske last time I moved, and it was generally less painful than when I've used UHaul before. Truck seemed newer/nicer as well. It started out much more expensive, but after googling up a coupon code and calling in, they basically price-matched. (I think they price-matched Budget, not uHaul, but they were the same price.)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If you have that much shit I'd probably just get one of those big containers you pack up and they move it for you.

Also, get rid of tons of shit during this move.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
If you have that much shit I'd probably just get one of those big containers you pack up and they move it for you.

Also, get rid of tons of shit during this move.

A few people have said the same thing and a few others are on the other side. My wife and I have been together roughly 18 years, married almost 10. We have went through 3 cycles of buying and getting rid of things. The first cycle is you get anything clean that you can get your hands on, fix it, use it. Then you replace it with something that you can afford that's reasonable quality. Then you replace THAT with something very nice. At least that's what we did. That's where we are - pretty much everything we have at this point is high quality and would cost a lot to replace. Another negative is that we're in a low cost of living area and it's very difficult to sell these kind of items. Of course there is always SOME room to purge things, but not much in this instance.

The last time I did a PODS move (another friend recommended that, but he was moving from a 2bed condo) I had to do the POD, a moving truck, AND a trailer. That was around 2010. In 2013 I did a 26' uhaul, 3 minivan loads, and two trailer loads.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
A few people have said the same thing and a few others are on the other side. My wife and I have been together roughly 18 years, married almost 10. We have went through 3 cycles of buying and getting rid of things. The first cycle is you get anything clean that you can get your hands on, fix it, use it. Then you replace it with something that you can afford that's reasonable quality. Then you replace THAT with something very nice. At least that's what we did. That's where we are - pretty much everything we have at this point is high quality and would cost a lot to replace. Another negative is that we're in a low cost of living area and it's very difficult to sell these kind of items. Of course there is always SOME room to purge things, but not much in this instance.

The last time I did a PODS move (another friend recommended that, but he was moving from a 2bed condo) I had to do the POD, a moving truck, AND a trailer. That was around 2010. In 2013 I did a 26' uhaul, 3 minivan loads, and two trailer loads.

Yeah my advice is worthless in this context lol. I am a total minimalist and I cannot stand having shit I don't use or need. Like absolutely will not tolerate it. I don't allow my wife to clutter anything and throw any dumb shit out I come across.

I can't even imagine having so much shit.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
People on citydata recommended Penske last time I moved, and it was generally less painful than when I've used UHaul before. Truck seemed newer/nicer as well. It started out much more expensive, but after googling up a coupon code and calling in, they basically price-matched. (I think they price-matched Budget, not uHaul, but they were the same price.)

Thanks, I did get a quote from Penske. It's actually more expensive than uhaul, but I'll take the truck quality into consideration. I didn't get a quote from Reno to AR, as I'm sure that's cheaper, but I may do that when the time comes.

Originally I planned to fly out over spring break to take a look at houses and make a decision. Instead, at the moment I'm thinking of renting an enclosed cargo trailer and pulling a load out to place in storage at the same time. That would cut down the amount of work needed for go-live...

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

yea i did a PODS (they have two sizes, i got the largest one) 12years ago and it was barely able to fit all the starter furnature/clothing junk from a couple that lived together for a few years in their first apt.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I rented a Uhaul but I paid some folks, recommended by Uhaul, to load it and unload it. Different people, obviously. My wife and I packed everything in boxes but let them move those and the furniture. It's amazing how much shit you can pack in a truck when you know how. I would never have been able to do that. It was a couple of hundred dollars at each end for me not to have to struggle with heavy stuff and they broke nothing.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Moved twice cross country with PODS, much cheaper than Uhaul. I think it depends a lot on distance. Short moves I think truck is always cheapest.

Animale

Trakanon Raider
Depending on where you are moving from there are sometimes nonprofit, ex-con moving companies that have good rates. Delancey street (San Francisco) or Trosa (Durham NC) are examples that I know of and have used with success

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If anyone looks at PODS, keep in mind that there's one charge for getting the pods to your place, one charge for moving the pods to the pod storage center, and another for moving them from storage to your destination. iirc, they promote the middle charge and obscure the first and last, until you go through the full ordering process. It's also possible that your destination isn't in the delivery range of the storage center, so you'd have to haul them yourselves or move everything from the pods to a uhaul at the storage place and drive them home yourself. I almost ordered them for my last move until I ran into all that.

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
I highly recommend buying a nice air tire hand truck. It's one of the best purchases I've ever made. Even if you only stack boxes on it that still saves your back a lot of work. And despite the instructions saying don't move fridges with it, I definitely have without any problem. Anything I can fit on it I throw on it for moving.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Got a quote back from a big moving company. Full box/pack, 17,000 lbs, 2,000 miles, $15,800. $102k insurance on the trip. That‘s about what I expected. I’ll get the price if I box and see if there’s much difference.