Moving Options

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Phase 1 of the move happening tomorrow. I'm pulling a trailer load out to put in storage. Meeting with a realtor for 2-4 days looking at houses. I'll pull the trailer back empty to be used again in conjunction with a 26' uhaul truck. I'm going to rent that from Reno instead of anywhere in California for the cost savings. Should be good to go now, provided I can escape the state. I was going to pack stuff on the roof rack, but I don't want to have to unpack those items overnight if we stop anywhere. We actually were able to fit 100% of the items we had packed up over the last few months in the 16' trailer. More than I thought we could fit in there for sure.

IMG_5937.JPG

IMG_5938.JPG

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Made it out in two days. I have an accepted offer on a house as of last night. Great trip so far!

Not so great mpg pulling that trailer out here. Best I saw was 11, worst was 6. $530 in fuel costs.

Last edited:

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
When I got my first job out of college, the company paid for a full service move. Guys came to my apartment, put everything in boxes, even built a crate for my aquarium. I was a typical college student, had one room in a 2 bedroom apartment and everything I owned was hand me downs or thrift store shit. I bet the company paid $5000 to move $1500 worth of stuff. If I had been given the option I would have taken the $5k, burned my stuff in the parking lot, and bought better stuff when I got to California. When I unpacked I realized the downside of having people pack for you. You don't get to purge at all. They packed everything. Including the trash can with the trash still in it. They get paid by the pound so there is zero incentive for them to not pack absolutely everything you have.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
When I got my first job out of college, the company paid for a full service move. Guys came to my apartment, put everything in boxes, even built a crate for my aquarium. I was a typical college student, had one room in a 2 bedroom apartment and everything I owned was hand me downs or thrift store shit. I bet the company paid $5000 to move $1500 worth of stuff. If I had been given the option I would have taken the $5k, burned my stuff in the parking lot, and bought better stuff when I got to California. When I unpacked I realized the downside of having people pack for you. You don't get to purge at all. They packed everything. Including the trash can with the trash still in it. They get paid by the pound so there is zero incentive for them to not pack absolutely everything you have.
My next move will be a reboot of our lives I think. We have nice stuff but it’s literally just stuff with no sentimental value.

Selling the house fully furnished including family photos is my plan.

Poster

Lord Nagafen Raider

Ha, my first corporate job was the same way, but they also gave me a relo bonus of $5k in addition to moving my cheap crap, so I didn't push the issue.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Well, sheared the lugs off a trailer tire, started a small fire in the side of the road, and tested out my new fire extinguisher. Looks like either the wheel was over torqued or the movers put too much weight in here. I’m stuck in Fresno until I can get the trailer repaired. Everyone off due to the holiday.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This is how I view it. And even though he said all his stuff is "nice," you're essentially paying a shipping cost on every single thing you own. We moved across the country to California and got rid of most of our shit because it's just cheaper to buy it all over again.

When we leave in the next year or two, we'll get rid of it all again. Obviously there's some stuff we'll keep, but furniture and shit? It's gone.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
This is how I view it. And even though he said all his stuff is "nice," you're essentially paying a shipping cost on every single thing you own. We moved across the country to California and got rid of most of our shit because it's just cheaper to buy it all over again.

When we leave in the next year or two, we'll get rid of it all again. Obviously there's some stuff we'll keep, but furniture and shit? It's gone.

I don’t want to sell $12k worth of furniture for pennies on the dollar to spend $12k or more immediately upon arrival.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You're also getting the money you would have paid to ship it. If you sell it for $4K and save $6K in trucking costs it makes more sense. You can probably get it moved cheaper than that but it would be easy to spend that much. There's also the question of whether your furniture is going to fit and look nice in the new place.