Moving to Florida

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
Any currently or previously live in florida?

My job would probably take me to Broward county.

What are your thoughts on florida from people who have experienced living there. I currently live outside of Philadelphia and the housing market out in FL seems much better and cheaper.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I've lived in Orlando for the last 12 years or so. Personally I liked it a lot when I first moved here but lately I have been a bit homesick (VA). This is most likely due to my having a lot more close friends in VA. The culture is a bit of a mixture from what I see as almost everyone you meet is from somewhere other than Florida. Although, that may be from my living in touristville.

I'm not a cold weather person so having a warmer climate longer throughout the year is great to me but some people find the summer heat to be a huge pain. Plus the year round yard maintenance is a bit of a homeowner hassle.

As for the housing market, there are a ton of cheap houses from all of the foreclosures. A lot of bank owned houses are up for rent from not being sold very quickly so you could easily rent a house when you first get here before being locked into a sale. I will note that most major insurance companies won't touch houses in Florida unless you already have a policy with them so you typically end up with some small time insurance place.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
The heat is fine. It's the humidity that is insane, and Broward's should be among the highest in the state as deep south urban sprawl sandwiched between the everglades and the atlantic. Hopefully you get to work in A/C.

I don't really go down that far south often so /shrug, but Fred's right that we've got an odd omniculture going on. You'll probably meet more people from the northeast than from "the south". Also that's heavy cuban land, but I haven't met a cuban I didn't like. The southerners are generally all northwest of Gainesville.

There is no state income/estate tax, and we've got a similar sales tax to Pennsylvania.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I've lived in Broward almost my entire life(Ft. Lauderdale) and I love it here. You're far south of the actual redneck contingent of Florida. There's a ton of shit to do and the women in south Florida are among the hottest in the country. I'm not sure what kind of activities you're into, but if your'e into boating, fishing, beach stuff there aren't many places better. Summer heat/humidity is brutal and makes for pretty much staying in or staying in the water during that part of the year(even at night it's 80+ with super-high humidity). The weather during the winter however, is the absolute best. I imagine if you're sick of Philly winters, you're going to love it in south Florida from November to March.

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
Unfortunately my job is outdoors, but honestly ill take the heat for the awesome "winters."

What areas in Broward are worth looking into?

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I'm surprised supertouch isn't a fan. There's quite the tranny population in Miami.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
I lived in Miami for 6 months. I enjoyed the fishing, the food, the low housing cost and the weather. I didn't really like the people much, doing business, or the dating scene.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Unfortunately my job is outdoors, but honestly ill take the heat for the awesome "winters."

What areas in Broward are worth looking into?
Florida kinda sucks but Broward would be one of the top counties to live in. It's a money location and is far enough way from the rednecks to make it not feel like part of the South. Coral Springs has nice spots you should check out. There's an old side and a new side. Go new.

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
I'v lived in manalapan for the past 11yrs. Anything South of Palmetto park rd blows ass TBH. Truth is Miami, Broward, are giant fucking ghetto's the city planners gave up down there. At time's you'll find yourself on N.W 19 ST (nl =next light) nl N.W 19 PL, nl N.W 19 Ave, nl North 181 Street. and that is really how it goes makes no fucking sense what so ever if you dont mind a commute time move to Palm beach county. Its so much better to live in PBC there are 5 Major highways that run north and south

Federal / A1A
Congress Ave
Military Road
Jog Road

All Major Intersections running east and west. You can NOT get lost in P.B.C. Plus I hate to say this but down south your messing with some of the shittiest drivers in the world the Cuban's are horrible, the Haition's oh god they want you to hit them they will fucking make it look like you hit them. Also there are so many people per square mile that traffic is horrible at all times.

Miami is fucked up, but Miami beach is a nice area but you have to travel tho the ghetto to get there. Miami beach, and the City of Miami are some great hotels to spend the weekend the beach's there are world famous. the night clubs in south beach are off the fucking chain, and more likely to run into a celebrity at the night clubs on south beach.
The exception is Fort Lauderdale. Lauderdale by the beach is awesome to go to with the wife/Girlfriend. so much to do. If you make good money and want to take you girl out and show her a good time take her to Las Olas. World Class eating, your by the inner-coastal, very rich area. Fanfuckingtastic night life.

Do youself a big fucking Favor when you get down here take the beach ride. Drive up to Jupiter exit indian town road head east and take A1A all the way down to Miami beach. its a 5 hour drive if you take it slow and you will enjoy it so much.

These are some pictures I took of a weekend I spent at Lauderdale by the beach.
rrr_img_22388.jpg
rrr_img_22389.jpg

Very Important make sure you home has a pool to not have a pool in SFL is just stupid.

rrr_img_22388.jpg

rrr_img_22389.jpg

Lahiri_sl

shitlord
Grew up in central Florida. 1 word: BORING. Left the state a week after high school graduation, and only return once every 3 years to see my mother. And although I love my mom, if I could I'd prefer never going back period.

Rham

Trakanon Raider
I lived in Broward County in 1999-2001. I used to be a fiber and cable lineman running the lines along the telephone poles All over that county and in West Palm. The winters were very nice with few actual cold days. The rest of the year was warm to very hot. Be prepared to sweat a lot outside. Another thing is the culture. I came from northwest Florida which is more like saying I lived in lower Alabama. There are pockets of areas where the Cuban and Peurto Rican immigrants have never had to speak English. Going to a big name grocery store you will find foods for sale you would likely throw away as refuse. If you look anywhere near Hispanic, expect to only be spoken to in Spanish and be looked down at the same way we get upset when people don't speak English. I'm not but I have the look and let me tell you, my 10th grade Spanish 1 class I failed helped me ask were the bathroom was along with enough to articulate that I had no idea what they were saying. By the time I moved, I could speak enough to get by but that's all lost now. I don't know what it's like now but Coral Springs was nice. Hollywood and Pembroke were not so good. Davie was cool. Wilton Manors is/was the gay community.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
It's not even if you look Spanish! That shit happens to me and I don't look hispanic at all.

nazon_sl

shitlord
Born and raised in Broward County.

Pros:
No state income tax is nice
Weather (Duh)
Pools year round
Great wildlife, fishing and seafood

Cons:
Commuting on 595/I95 sucks a big dick
Home owners insurance sucks
Property taxes suck
Bizarre crime
Lots of tourists

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, my homeowners insurance fucked me hard this year. It almost doubled on me after an inspection that they apparently found a bunch of things they didn't find only two fucking years ago!

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Make sure you shop around for your insurance in FL. Agents don't all have the same companies and sometimes agents outside an area have carriers that agents in your area don't. You can save a shit ton shopping around in most cases. If you want a phone number to check rates PM me.

As for Florida, its a great state for the most part. Weather is generally great and Hurricanes really aren't that bad. You will find that the section you live in will be very different than other ares of the state.

SE FL is very nice. You can plug yourself for action and there is a nice mix of people and areas. Port St Lucie south to Broward is pretty diverse with big cities and sprawling development to ranches and bedroom communities. Further south you go the more stuff there is to do. Further west you go, generally, the nicer the communities.

Orlando is ok if you are looking for the tourist trap life or you enjoy the parks. FL residents get great deals on the parks.

West FL isn't bad, I just find there to be a bit more of an older crowd there. Tampa isn't bad though. Lots of sink holes out here. I much prefer the East coast overall.

North Fl and Central FL is pretty hokey. Tallahassee is a shit hole. Destin area is nice if you like beaches but not a whole lot is out there.

Daytona and St Augustine are nice. Just small town and touristy. Not much going on in these places outside of tourism and the big bike weeks.

Pros:

Plenty of state parks
No income tax
Mostly well run
People are moving here
Great weather
Plenty of stuff to do
Everything from big city life to farms depending on where you go
Plenty of tourists / money coming into the state
Save your home amendment

Cons:

Property taxes can be high