Mr. Bungle playing shows in 2020

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
6548D7D4-4D45-44DC-AA96-1376CE9132F4.jpeg

From Trevor’s and the official twitter page this morning. Definitely hitting the LA and SF shows!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
they're really playing The Raging Wrath of the Easter Bunny in it's entirety? trollololol that's so great and awful. of course i'd rather see California, but the pure absurdity of reuniting just to play that uniquely brutal and bizarre demo probably recorded in one of their garages... hah. and getting Scott Ian and Dave Lombardo to do it. man.

wish i could go.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I’m sure they will be playing much more as well, that entire demo was only like 35 minutes long

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I’m sure they will be playing much more as well, that entire demo was only like 35 minutes long

yeah it's common for bands that do these sorts of sets to match their "album" set with a second set of other songs that's roughly equivalent in time to the first set. it's been 20 years, i bet they just go with a generic "greatest hits" style set for the second set, whatever that means for Bungle -- open with What the World Needs Now is Love, go into Chemical Marriage, Travolta, Retrovertigo, Desert Search for Techno Allah, one or two others, end on Goodbye Sober Day, peace out for 10 more years.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Found this about the shows. Looks like no material from the 3 WB albums at all. It’s Trevor being interviewed.

You mentioned to me earlier that the idea came up a while ago when Mike, Trey and you met at a Dead Cross show. Who brought Mr. Bungle to the table and how did you develop the conversation?
Believe it or not, I brought this idea to the table. I have long been outspoken against a reunion but the idea of revisiting The Raging Wrath of The Easter Bunny was something I couldn’t shake especially with Dave standing right there. Basically, I said, hey I’ve got this idea to play those songs again with Dave. I think it took them a minute to realize I was serious and then we mulled it over for a couple years before the time was right in all of our busy schedules.
What can be expected from these shows? Who’s taking part and who’s not?
The band will be Trey, Mike, myself with the edition of Lombardo and Scott Ian. The other guys in “Bungle proper” are aware of our activities and we have their blessings. This project pre-dates them and since the entire idea came out of knowing and playing with Dave it makes sense to approach it this way. We will play The Raging Wrath in it’s entirety, along with a couple songs from that era we never played before as well as some classic punk covers. I want to be clear to those out there who might be confused (understandably): WE ARE NOT PLAYING ANYTHING FROM OUR 3 WARNER BROS RECORDS. These will be THRASH METAL SHOWS a la 1986.
You always said that if you were ever to be reformed it would be to do something totally new. So, not playing anything from your WB records is precisely not returning to things as they were left in 2000, right?

That’s true, but we are, in fact returning to 1986. We started out as a metal band and we were coming from metal 100%. As the original quartet, with Jed Watts, we only played a handful of shows: I’m recalling three or four max. Keep in mind, this isn’t exactly a reunion. We are, again, only playing a handful of shows. It’s a bit of a tease, I know. And a lot of Bungleheads will be left out, but we’re just doing what we’ve always done, which is whatever we want. And right now we want to play thrash metal.
Dave Lombardo and Scott Ian are the perfect combo to play thrash metal. Mr. Bungle’s first demo immediately comes to mind. Tell me about their involvement in this endeavour.
The songs on Raging Wrath were essentially written with those guys in mind. We lived and breathed thrash metal in the ’80s. All those bands, and many more obscure ones that no one ever heard of. Patton and I played in a metal cover band just prior to forming Bungle and we used to play songs from all The Big Four plus Armoured Saint, Motorhead, Mercyful Fate… All that shit. I think Mike and I eventually got kicked out because we wanted to start adding DRI and Discharge to the roster. So The Raging Wrath wouldn’t have happened without the invention of the genre by guys like Dave and Scott. Having the opportunity to do so we just decided to go straight to the source. Apparently Scott is a fan of that demo! WTF?
After the 3 or 4 shows scheduled, is there an open possibility for something else or is that yet to be seen?
Highly unlikely.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I totally understand that. The debut album was a split point for me and almost all my friends growing up, even the guys I was playing in bands with at the time who I thought were on the same page as me. They just did not understand what I saw in it. I remember playing it for people like I was going to convert them to the best thing ever and after 3 minutes being told it was the worst thing ever. The music is incredibly devisive, and only got more so with the second album. I remember taking music theory classes in college and my professor telling me “you can’t write music like that, there are rules”, and I knew then that I fell outside that idea completely. (I still think he’s a moron and it’s not the simple). But I can say that almost all of how I think about what music has the potential to be was formed by this band.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I remember taking music theory classes in college and my professor telling me “you can’t write music like that, there are rules”, and I knew then that I fell outside that idea completely.

thats funny, I loved the first album a ton. Still listen to it fairly regularly. The stuff after was ok but not nearly as good to me. I was also hooked on Primus Frizzle Fry at the time. Sea of Cheese hit not long after which was awesome. I was doing setup for a band called Sweaty Nipples back then, really thought they were gonna take off outside of Portland but never quite made it.

ah hell here they are:

Last edited:
  • 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
California is Bungle at it's finest to me. wish there were another 47 albums just like it. they're so much better with the big production budget and focusing on writing actual songs (that music theory professor might actually enjoy California).

don't get me wrong, i really dig Disco Volante, and i enjoy the first one and the later demos once in awhile, but California is on a whole other level for me.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Tix for third LA show just went on sale

Edit: and sold out in less than 15 minutes

Last edited:

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Anyone going to any of the LA shows? I’ll be at all three nights would be cool to at least shake hands and meet quickly

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
For the record, the three shows in LA were incredible. Tons of videos online, thankfully. These morons regrouped and played songs from a demo tape from 1986 that they wrote when they were 16 and just showed most thrash metal bands how its done...at 50 years old. Make no mistake having Lombardo on drums lent immediate cred, but Trey Spruance on lead guitar was the highlight. Fucking shredders one and all.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Mike Patton is one of those guys that is a musical icon for me. Even if I don't enjoy all his stuff. Never really got into Tomahawk but Faith No More and Mr. Bungle are mainstays on my playlists.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm still trying to acquire a taste for this band, but figured you guys would like a show preview. Do they still call these bootlegs?

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Lots of clues the last two days seem to point at the recent live lineup of Bungle recording this week. Pretty insane that any of this has happened and continues to happen.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Mike Patton is one of those guys that is a musical icon for me. Even if I don't enjoy all his stuff. Never really got into Tomahawk but Faith No More and Mr. Bungle are mainstays on my playlists.
I'd give Tomahawk another go, maybe excluding the third album (Eponymous) which is almost all based on Native American tribal music. The first two albums are pretty insane, and Oddfellows has stayed on frequent rotation for me. They are also finishing up an album due later this year.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
This will probably be on the new Bungle LP in a form somewhat similar to this but with Trey, Trevor, and fucking Lombardo, but Charlie and Scott from Anthrax have been killing it on social media through this strange time. Hope you enjoy.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Livestream concert this afternoon was fucking fire. Great interviews to start it off, and the band was just on point the entire time. Its up for the next 2.5 days or so at this link, mrbungle.live $15 for the show and they've got limited edition merch too. Highly recommended if you haven't had a chance to see them ever, even given how different this incarnation of the band is.

• 1Like