Mr. Mayor

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Mr. Mayor

Genre: Comedy

First aired: 2021-01-07

Creator: Tina Fey, Robert Carlock

Cast: Ted Danson, Holly Hunter, Vella Lovell, Mike Cabellon, Kyla Kenedy, Bobby Moynihan

Overview: A retired businessman runs for mayor of Los Angeles to prove he's "still got it." Once he wins, he has to figure out what he stands for, gain the respect of his biggest critic and connect with his teenage daughter, all while trying to get anything right for America's second weirdest city.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
For a long time, comedy has been stuck in a rut of "hey, we're Hollywood liberals and we know better than you," and it was shit. I miss the days where comedians lampooned both sides. Doing a political comedy (that's not Veep) seems like a big gamble. At best it seems like half the audience will be alienated.

This show seems to be doing it well.

Regarding the politics - Ted Danson stars as the "Trump-esque" mayor of Los Angeles; a retired rich guy who ran because his daughter thought he didn't do shit. So far after 3 episodes, it isn't too heavy handed. The rest of the cast are super stereotyped liberals. They mock the left pretty hard. I'd say they've struck a good balance of not preaching and making fun of both sides.

As for the show itself, Tina Fey has a writing credit, and Ted Danson's career resurgence in comedies is still going strong. It's not really 30 Rock funny, at least not yet, but most scenes provide a pretty good laugh.

Considering how little is on TV right now, and comedies are just very "miss," I'd recommend giving this one a shot.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database