MS Office help

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Didn't find a topic that this might be relevant in, so I thought I'd create an MS Office help topic, as I have a problem I need help with.

The thing is I need to send out a letter to a bunch of people, and while each letter is largely the same, there are certain fields that change (name, address, etc). I have an excel sheet where each column has this info. Now I have a hunch that it is possible to write a Word template where all the changeable text are actually some type of field that are then linked with a column in an excel sheet, and when sent to the printer it automatically prints out the info one row per word document, thereby saving me the trouble of having to copy paste info for 50+ letters.

The question is, does anyone know how to do this, or have links to sites that show you how? I haven't been able to find anything good via Google, mainly because I probably don't even know what terms to look for.

TIA

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
YES!!! Thank you!

Jesus, would never have thought it would be called "mail merge". Kept looking for info on "fields" and "macros" and shit.

Thanks!

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I need help in Excel. The workbook/sheet is password protected, I am not the original author nor can I get in contact with the original author. I did a google search but everything that came up was a little beyond my ability/comprehension. If anyone has an easy sure fire way for me to unlock this I would be greatly appreciative or if anyone is willing to unlock it for me that would great as well. It is just a financial ratio calculator, no national security secrets or anything.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I need help in Excel. The workbook/sheet is password protected, I am not the original author nor can I get in contact with the original author. I did a google search but everything that came up was a little beyond my ability/comprehension. If anyone has an easy sure fire way for me to unlock this I would be greatly appreciative or if anyone is willing to unlock it for me that would great as well. It is just a financial ratio calculator, no national security secrets or anything.
If the Excel file was encrypted with Excel 2000/2003 you are in luck (.xls extension generally). If it was encrypted in Excel 2007 or newer, you are pretty much screwed. If it's the earlier version let me know and I will dig up the article on how to bypass the encryption.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
It is 2007, perhaps that was why I was unsuccessful with following the instructions of my google search.

Any other options?

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
^ If it's an easy password then you should be able to get in rather easily. If not it won't be worth the time.