MST3k reboot kickstarter

TheBigTor_sl

shitlord
Bring Back MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000 for a New Season! by Joel Hodgson Kickstarter

Not sure how I feel about Joel being the only returning member and he isn't even hosting it, however I cannot deny a certain hope that this will be worth watching. I just hope they have the host segments and do not go with a pure silhouette version as the combination is what I always felt made the show work.
Not a lot of hard details yet and the backer rewards are a little off but I felt there might be some other nerds on here that might be interested.

spronk

FPS noob
Isn't this basically... Rifftrax? I love MST3K but i'm a mike > joel kinda guy. This will easily get funded though, I know a lot of college buds who are totally into the show and even have replica's of the robots and stuff

Joel was hilarious in Other Space, a yahoo scifi comedy that had 8 episodes, 30 mins each
Other Space - Yahoo Screen

iannis

Musty Nester
It'll be funded and it'll be fine. There's always a market for this kind of B Movie mockery/appreciation.

But they started running out of steam in the shows themselves. This kind of thing runs its course after a while, and MST3K was also a product of its time. The redletter guys are doing a similar thing in a different way. They picked up the torch, ya know. So I don't really think it's necessary.

But I also don't think it will be bad. It will be meh at worst. Bring on the funny!

I will probably never forget their mockery of Ator... HUZZAH, I MAKE LEATHER MUGS AT THE RENIASSANCE FAIRE! Pod People was A+ too.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
One of my all time favorite shows while I was in college. I still laugh my ass off when I catch reruns. I agree the show kinda ran its course, much the same way that SNL has, but in its heyday, it was pretty god damn brilliant.

Troll_sl

shitlord
I'm one of those that loved everything after Weinstein left. He was such a drag on the show... But everything from TV's Frank onwards was good to me.Space Mutiny,Overdrawn at the Memory Bank,Attack of the the Eye Creatures,The Castle of Fu Manchu... (Seriously, what the fuck Christopher Lee?)

I still love horrible movies.

Cybsled

I always loved how Manos: The Hands of Fate was the movie that almost broke them ;p Then they flipped their lid at the implied pedo-bride ending lol

They did help prove that Manos > Plan 9 in terms of king of shittiest movie ever

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Plan 9 is like actually watchable.

Manos took me several years just to build up to the point I could watch the entire MST3k episode involving it from start to finish.

It is literally the worst movie ever made.

Column_sl

shitlord
Damn , half a million for each episode. How much can an episode of mst3k possibly cost to make lol.

I hope they kick start Other Space next because I enjoyed that show a lot.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
They have to have enough to purchase the rights to any films they want to use, probably why it costs so much.

Cybsled

They have to have enough to purchase the rights to any films they want to use, probably why it costs so much.
This. That is part of the reason why the newest movies they were ever able to lampoon were the Memorybank one and the Alien from L.A. one.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
That's not fully true. Back when they were on TV they did a mash up of Men in Black, Titanic and a couple others (mostly movie trailers but some of them had film footage they played with too) if memory serves me correct.

I kicked in a few bucks, they do have some big time supporters though, more than a few have chipped in 5k+.

spronk

FPS noob
They didn't do any "real" movie, what you are thinking of is the two spin off shows - Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax - each have done a few dozen big box office movies, CT was run by Joel and Rifftrax was run by Mike. Both provided audio tracks you had to play while watching the movie though. Rifftrax does a bunch of live stuff where they will broadcast in movie theaters (and one stage is live) every few months in theaters across the country, like Alamo Drafthouse etc.

interestingly it looks like this kickstarter is all joel, i wonder if mike and the other two guys who join him on rifftrax are frozen out

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
They didn't do any "real" movie, what you are thinking of is the two spin off shows - Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax - each have done a few dozen big box office movies, CT was run by Joel and Rifftrax was run by Mike. Both provided audio tracks you had to play while watching the movie though. Rifftrax does a bunch of live stuff where they will broadcast in movie theaters (and one stage is live) every few months in theaters across the country, like Alamo Drafthouse etc.

interestingly it looks like this kickstarter is all joel, i wonder if mike and the other two guys who join him on rifftrax are frozen out
No, I'm thinking of when MST3K did a mashup of movie trailers in their 1st Annual Summer Blockbuster Review back in 1997. Titanic wasn't one of them, Men in Black however was, along with 5th Element, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Contact and Batman and Robin.

I would never confuse Rifftrax, Cinematic Titanic and MST3K.

On a side note, I've had the privilege of meeting Joel a few times and I still curse my ex wifes name for destroying my set used Cow, Servo and Cam Bot that I got in auction a few years after the show went off the air.

Troll_sl

shitlord
There are also a few movies done by The Film Crew, which is Mike, Kevin and Bill. All free on youtube.

And the particularly disturbing Hollywood After Dark.

Siliconemelons

They had to purchase "airing" or re-air rights for whatever movie they did that's why the cheese old practically open source b&w movies where more prevalent than the more modern ones. This is why they had to delay airing the camelot one as it was actually airing on HBO, Sho or some other movie channel and was a conflict of airing rights.

I am also a fan of the 2nd host, the dry humor of the first is not my style and his during move gags mostly revolved around you the audience being a film buff/nerd while the newer ones (or later ones) where more sarcasm and gag related.

Cybsled

Looks like this is going forward. Apparently Felicia Day is playing Dr. Forrester's daughter in it.

Sterling

El Presidente
Looks like this is going forward. Apparently Felicia Day is playing Dr. Forrester's daughter in it.
Interesting. Still not sure if I care very much about this though. I loved the old show, just not sure this will feel the same.