MTG: Arena

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Arena codes from Dominaria and Brother's War physical pre-release, have at them (let me know when they're busted so I can cross them out):

1. 0B841-937C9-2BC69-7DE57-5937F
2. 07C81-3C5AF-E662C-14A5E-22B09
3. 3961D-B71A4-66BC8-1E8FC-854F9
4. 51FA3-0A44C-D3AA9-C0123-69B54
5. 51FA3-67EFA-7BF58-BD4F7-E9D3A

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Arena codes from Dominaria and Brother's War physical pre-release, have at them (let me know when they're busted so I can cross them out):

1. 0B841-937C9-2BC69-7DE57-5937F
2. 07C81-3C5AF-E662C-14A5E-22B09

3. 3961D-B71A4-66BC8-1E8FC-854F9
4. 51FA3-0A44C-D3AA9-C0123-69B54
5. 51FA3-67EFA-7BF58-BD4F7-E9D3A
I got #4. Thanks.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
ybro-16-argivian-welcome.jpg
ybro-22-rusko-clockmaker.jpg

Great additions to my Historic Esper Control deck. Rusko, Clockmaker replaces my Professor Onyxes as my main wincon beautifully. Insane value that they need double the removal on a 4CMC card. Deceptively good card.

Argivian Welcome would be good imo even if it was just "you may cast your next spell as if it had flash" for 2CMC. Enabling instant speed board wipes has really transformed my strategy against agro. Hitting Murderous Rider with it lets you flash in the Rider even after using his adventure, which is a pretty nice combat trick that people haven't really caught on to yet. And then of course, just being able to flash in Rusko himself on opponent's endstep turn 4 is a great play.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
PXL_20230102_215743878.jpg

Took 2000 gems to get the win in the Jump Start event for the Decathlon, but once I rolled Dead and Buried Dragon Ramp I steamrolled everyone. The card advantage from Flashback with any sort of Ramp is wonderful, of course, but with two chances to bounce Ancient Bronze Dragon back to my hand thanks to Dryad's Revival, opponents didn't stand a chance.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
my current historic deck

ruskorion.jpg

COMPANION​

1 Yorion, Sky Nomad

PLANESWALKERS (2)​

2 Professor Onyx

CREATURES (9)​

3 Thief of Sanity
2 Murderous Rider
4 Rusko, Clockmaker

INSTANTS (25)​

3 Fatal Push
1 Erebos's Intervention'
1 March of Otherworldly Light
2 Drown in the Loch
2 Vanishing Verse
2 Argivian Welcome
2 Sheoldred's Edict
3 Absorb
3 Void Rend
3 Teferi's Contingency
3 Memory Deluge

SORCERIES (4)​

3 Supreme Verdict
1 Hour of Revelation

ENCHANTMENTS (6)​

4 Omen of the Sea
2 Phyrexian Arena

LANDS (38)​

1 Snow-Covered Island
1 Snow-Covered Plains
1 Snow-Covered Swamp
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Isolated Chapel
1 Field of Ruin
2 Castle Ardenvale
2 Castle Vantress
2 Hive of the Eye Tyrant
4 Watery Grave
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Raffine's Tower
4 Godless Shrine

84 CARDS​

SIDEBOARD​

1 Yorion, Sky Nomad
1 Fatal Push
1 Erebos's Intervention
1 March of Otherworldly Light
2 Tale's End
2 Test of Talents
1 Vanishing Verse
1 Void Rend
1 Summary Dismissal
1 Supreme Verdict
2 Day of Judgment
1 Hour of Revelation

my deck was already bloated above 60 cards before, but functional. Control decks don't always need to be exactly 60 cards, a deck that can dig for answers can be better off with a bit over the minimum. i was sitting at like... I was sitting at 67 cards (with 29 lands) and was doing well in Platinum and Diamond, so i thought fuck it... not a big fan of Yorion decks but i may as well add him in if i'm already that bloated. And it improved my deck a LOT. the only permanents worth blinking are Rusko and Omen of the Sea, but blinking Rusko a single time can be a huge board swing.

Rusko rules because it's a two for one. I don't know why I never see anyone else playing him. He's amazing. Even if they remove Rusko you've still got your clock to refresh you in a few turns. Even if they remove the Clock, you've still got a decent body on Rusko and a 2 point life swing (1 minus for them 1 plus for you) every time you cast a noncreature spell.. which is what control decks do all the time anyway,

Get a Professor Onyx and a Rusko both on the board and you're gonna win. 6 point life swing every instant and sorcery haha.

Argivian Welcome is another card that I am surprised I never see anyone else playing. Being able to add Flash to any card in your hand is very, very powerful, especially since you don't need to cast Argivian on the same turn as the spell you add Flash to. Can use Argivian welcome on turn 2 and give flash to a board wipe, and then hit opponents with an instant speed board wipe on turn 4. Can flash in Rusko on opponent end step or as a combat trick. Can give flash to Murderous Rider and flash him in from exile after he goes on his adventure, for another combat trick.

Deck can really dig for answers if you need to, between Omen of the Sea and Memory Deluge. Another reason why being over the minimum card count for the deck isn't as big of a deal with a deck like this.

Deck can also function essentially as a midrange deck if you need and get the right draw. Which is nice -- you can have the option of biding your time and controlling the opponent's board until they run out of steam, and then start going to town. OR you can go the other way and press the opponent early with creatures, and at worst force them to spend their mana on removal.

There might be better options than Thief of Sanity, but damn I love that card. i used to run Sedgemoore Witch, she might actually be a good addition...

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The One Ring is really fucking up Historic. I can usually beat a One Ring control deck, but the matches often go 30-40 minutes. Won a couple by opponent timing out.

Every other list is running Orcish Bowmen now too.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
deckimage.jpg

Companion
1 Yorion, Sky Nomad

Deck
2 Professor Onyx
3 Orcish Bowmasters
3 Thief of Sanity
2 Murderous Rider
3 Rusko, Clockmaker
3 Fatal Push
1 Erebos's Intervention
2 March of Otherworldly Light
2 Vanishing Verse
2 Argivian Welcome
2 Sheoldred's Edict
3 Absorb
2 Void Rend
3 Teferi's Contingency
3 Memory Deluge
1 The End
3 Supreme Verdict
1 Hour of Revelation
4 Omen of the Sea
2 Phyrexian Arena
1 Snow-Covered Island
1 Snow-Covered Plains
1 Snow-Covered Swamp
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Isolated Chapel
2 Field of Ruin
2 Castle Ardenvale
2 Castle Vantress
1 Hive of the Eye Tyrant
1 Restless Fortress
4 Watery Grave
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Raffine's Tower
4 Godless Shrine

Sideboard
1 Yorion, Sky Nomad
1 Erebos's Intervention
2 Tale's End
2 Despark
2 Drown in the Loch
2 Test of Talents
1 Void Rend
1 The End
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Hour of Revelation
1 Stone of Erech

Haven't played much in months due to lack of reliable internet. Back at it this month tho. Still rocking the same basic Historic Esper Control list, only slightly modified from before. Started out at Bronze due to months off, but just hit Diamond 4 fresh off a 7 game win streak.