MTG: Arena

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I would probably never play anything other than Historic Brawl, if it were constantly available.

Love me some Naya-Dinosaurs.

I'm sad that the world caught on to my Niv-Mizzet Reborn decks, I was rocking those when Brawl first came out and asking in this thread why no one else in the world seemed to be using him lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think it's a mostly bullshit edgelord reply.

I've drafted nearly every set since Urza's Saga a decent number of times.

I'd put ZNR in the top 5 formats. Nothing will likely top Invasion Block for skilltesting draft formats, due to 6th Edition rules on top of format that had a lot going on.

This is around Innistrad in terms of drafting/deckbuilding complexity, while also having a large number of decision points in the actual play of the games. Nearly half the cards in your deck will be modal, due to either being Kicker cards or Spell/Lands, while Party cards will change in value depending on board state. This leads to some complex games, and Kicker + Spell/Lands also reduces the likelihood of games being decided strictly on the basis of screw and/or flood, so the games are more likely to be decided on play skill.

That said, it does ring a little true for 2 reasons. The archetype-defining uncommons are so pushed in this format, even more than usual, and playing a Bo1 limited format is not exactly as skilltesting as a Bo3 format.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
if anything, winning more at the dumbed down set means youre MORE skilled, since the set is dumbed down for everyone... you guys aren't even properly trying when it comes to insulting Mist anymore, come on

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Triple Invasion > IPA
Triple Invasion was more fun than IPA. But Apocalypse had Jilt which was by far the most insane card in the format with 6th Edition rules and one good Jilt could win an entire game. Attack with FTK, assign damage, Jilt my FTK back to my hand, kill your other guy with the 2 damage... replay FTK and kill another creature?

Triple formats in general are more fun. But they're also easier, since you can more reliably expect to see the important archetype enablers.

If we're talking straight up fun draft formats, KTKx3 was my favorite, because I could draft 4c Sultai Durdles every time and frequently table a Villainous Wealth as my only real win-con.

Last edited:

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
if anything, winning more at the dumbed down set means youre MORE skilled, since the set is dumbed down for everyone... you guys aren't even properly trying when it comes to insulting Mist anymore, come on

You'd fizzle with a perfect 7 in a TES deck I guess.

• 1Edgelord

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Dude drops a Cataclysmic Gearhulk on me late in the game, leaving us each with two creatures, I'm at 11 life he's at 10. Next turn I buff my Longtusk Cub with Engineered Might, making him a 9/9. Now, you have to know that earlier in the game, I was giving that cub a +1/+1 counter every time I got 2 energy. I didn't want to give away the fact that I've only got two cards in my draft deck that can burn Energy, so halfway through the game I swung to not spending my energy til I need it. I had 2 energy in the bank when I tapped my Longtusk Cub. My opponent took a good long while to consider how to block, and ended up deciding to let my Cub past. I'm not sure if he thought I forgot I had those two energy, or if he just didn't notice them despite taking so long to pass, but I cackled pretty hard when I dropped that +1/+1 and swung for 10 for the win.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
kaldesh draft dimir 7-0 11-18 2.jpg

first 7-0 in awhile, felt good. really good format to be a creature / artifact stealing asshole, my favorite way to play Dimir :)

biggest disappointment was stealing a guy's Panharmonicon the next turn after playing my Dynavolt Tower, and opponent scooping before i had the chance to have some fun with it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Have at it if anyone still plays:

A7D8E-07692-EFD98-364F1-2F58E

Give a heads up if you got it, please.

Last edited:

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Ugin needs to be banned from Brawl.

Ugin. Needs. To. Be. Banned. From. Fucking. Brawl.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Trying to play for the first time in ages, and holy shit what broken software at the moment. The old rename-the-download-folder trick isn't even enough, gotta milk little bits of this download at a time doing that trick over and over..... Anyone have a better way?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?

• 1Double Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users