MTG: Arena

norp

Bronze Squire
75% chance this is just garbage, but I always hope when they announce stuff like this it works out. Honestly though, if you're looking for a decent card game that requires more then 2-3 brain cells Eternal is pretty deece already.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
75% chance this is just garbage, but I always hope when they announce stuff like this it works out. Honestly though, if you're looking for a decent card game that requires more then 2-3 brain cells Eternal is pretty deece already.

The Eternal guys (DWD) are part of the Digital Next team FYI.

norp

Bronze Squire
I was not aware. I just assume any new MTG product has a huge chance of failure due to past attempts. Maybe something good will happen then.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This picture amuses me.

StanLee.jpg

Vaclav

I was not aware. I just assume any new MTG product has a huge chance of failure due to past attempts. Maybe something good will happen then.

Yea I was dubious myself until they posted their "team" that was part of it. Was something like 3 other companies helping, DWD was the one that gave me hope though, since I consider myself a fan of theirs. Both Elder Scrolls and Eternal are solid.

ES improves the Hearth stone formula and Eternal digitized MTG style well without shitting the bed.

Chris

Potato del Grande
MTG Arena look promising, I feel lke they can make the cards on the battlefeild bigger though. The paper art doesn't quite work for a limited size screen.

I signed up with my DCI number yesterday so hopefully they give beta invites to paper players like myself? I'd play the shit out of this.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
First alpha stress test this upcoming Friday, the 3rd. Gmail filters the email to your Promotions tab.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
I work in the building next to Wizards... I wonder if I can go grab a key right from them...

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Check your promotional tab in gmail if you signed up, invites are going out. You have to go sign the NDA first and you'll get an invite a day or two after that is done.

This is like at least 6 months from launch judging by the state it's in currently.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Once again, I'm gonna beg for an invite if anyone ends up getting one to give out. I missed the last time someone was giving them away, and I didn't get into the beta cause I haven't played live mtg or mtgo in the last year :( been on hearthstone/eternal instead, but I want into mtg arena more then anything.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Why can't the FOH cabal get us keys? Come on Braen Braen walk in and ask for the forum tomorrow. Tell them its for a bunch of internet OG's.

StJesuz

Graybeard Lurker
My impression of this game is that it will be just another in the yearly series of throw away MTG games with the sort of predatory monetization that EA can only (wet) dream of. They slap a 20-40$ price on it at launch and it goes free to play after 6 months or so. The real price is how much you'll have to spend in booster packs to build a decent deck for online play after they tease all the different mechanics that you won't be able to pull off with the free cards. Then in a year or so they launch the next version and you get to buy it all over again.

Am I wrong?

Vaclav

My impression of this game is that it will be just another in the yearly series of throw away MTG games with the sort of predatory monetization that EA can only (wet) dream of. They slap a 20-40$ price on it at launch and it goes free to play after 6 months or so. The real price is how much you'll have to spend in booster packs to build a decent deck for online play after they tease all the different mechanics that you won't be able to pull off with the free cards. Then in a year or so they launch the next version and you get to buy it all over again.

Am I wrong?

It's been heavily implied it's going to be more like a Hearthstone/Eternal/Elder Scrolls style model - but monetization hasn't been heavily discussed yet besides vague terms.

Vaclav

Why can't the FOH cabal get us keys? Come on Braen Braen walk in and ask for the forum tomorrow. Tell them its for a bunch of internet OG's.

Braen Braen is working with Wizards Digital? And either which way, I'd love to be added to a list of beggars on the topic as well. If there's guilds on there, we could even get Mistwalkers rolling on there. [Watch me have misremembered the FoH guildtag he did...]

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
It's been heavily implied it's going to be more like a Hearthstone/Eternal/Elder Scrolls style model

That has been heavily implied the last time, too. You don't bring in the dough on a MTG game using the Hearthstone model if you state upfront that you are going to stop releasing new sets within 2 years (aka Magic duels).

I was really itching for an online MTG game in the vein of Hearthstone back in 2015, and thus really interested in Magic duels *before* it came out. But after watching MTGO get one terrible new version after another for over a decade, I refrained from getting into Magic Duels when it finally came out because the early warning signs were there. I guess that was the right choice. I'm going to watch development on this, but I'm sceptical. With WotC digital products you have to be, no matter how much they promise.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Magic duels was also not actually real magic. It had super limited sets, and preventing you from building fully custom decks etc. It was like buying a starter deck and only being able to change out 30 cards.

No idea how fair or whatever their monetization plan for Arena is going to be. Current beta is 72 packs of Ixalan to play constructed with, and there's no crafting/disenchanting system in place yet so it's basically just an alpha/functionality test and not much else. The only hint there is is there's a button in the store to buy packs for 1000 coins, but it doesn't work. Currently matches look to pay out 50 gold per, win or lose, with quests that pay 150.

The only interesting thing is the redeem codes section, which looks to be set up to support codes and QR scanning from presumably physical product and FNM or whatever rewards.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I got an email with the key and a message that it's in open beta.

Then 3 games in, autoresolve sacrificed my creature and used that to kill an artifact on the board, which was mine, without asking. This is gonna need some work, because otherwise just passing all the phases of the opponents turn when nothing is happening will put me to sleep. The board UI is pretty cluttered, lands are pretty and all, but maybe just replace them with symbols ? And not even a basic MtG tutorials is definitely not going to win them new players.

Unless you are have a real MtG crush, Eternal is ATM the superior game, even if niche.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
7pRO7kd.png

Post your guesses on pricing boys, this will make or break the game when we find out tomorrow.