MTG: Arena

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I think it goes further than that, lol - I refuse to believe that 95% of the population of this game on Constructed Ranked play Red Mono there's just no fucking way.

well if you're playing bo1 you should probably believe it

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
this game would be so much better if they didn't deck match in traditional constructed event and traditional constructed ranked.

Anyone who says they don't is a complete fucking retard

They absolutely do, the matches when I'm playing Rakdos Aggro vs the matches when I'm playing Drakes are completely opposite.

I'm also convinced they are fiddling with the land ratios in Traditional draft War of the Spark. I have never seen so many games where both players get to 6 mana by turn 6, and I had one game where I drew 10 land and 4 spells.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
@a_skeleton_02 the list of stuff I need is shrinking fast

炎鎖のアングラス/Angrath, the Flame-Chained x 1
再燃するフェニックス/Rekindling Phoenix x 4

グルールの呪文砕き/Gruul Spellbreaker x 1
成長室の守護者/Growth-Chamber Guardian x 2
正義の模範、オレリア/Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice x 2

繁殖池/Breeding Pool x 2
神無き祭殿/Godless Shrine x 3
草むした墓/Overgrown Tomb x 3
聖なる鋳造所/Sacred Foundry x 2
踏み鳴らされる地/Stomping Ground x 1
寺院の庭/Temple Garden x 4
湿った墓/Watery Grave x 1

氷河の城砦/Glacial Fortress x 4
水没した地下墓地/Drowned Catacomb x 4
根縛りの岩山/Rootbound Crag x 2
陽花弁の木立ち/Sunpetal Grove x 4
孤立した礼拝堂/Isolated Chapel x 4
森林の墓地/Woodland Cemetery x 4
内陸の湾港/Hinterland Harbor x 2

• 1Triggered
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I play mono-red (unoptimized) on the ladder and in regular play mode to finish dailies. If I had the wild cards, I would craft mono-w since it shits all over mono-r pretty nicely.

Well, I would have before WotS. I don't know what I would do now.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I think my favorite part of a new set coming out is that I get to destroy people with my same old deck from the last set while people are trying to figure out how to use the new set's cards lol. I'm like yeah you should so try out the new cards... BAM! SUCKER!

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
They absolutely do, the matches when I'm playing Rakdos Aggro vs the matches when I'm playing Drakes are completely opposite.

I'm also convinced they are fiddling with the land ratios in Traditional draft War of the Spark. I have never seen so many games where both players get to 6 mana by turn 6, and I had one game where I drew 10 land and 4 spells.

Agreed on the mana. It feels like lands are coming out way more “smoothly” than before. Just a feeling at least.

Sterling

El Presidente
I think it goes further than that, lol - I refuse to believe that 95% of the population of this game on Constructed Ranked play Red Mono there's just no fucking way.
Part if is people playing mono red or other aggro decks will be back in the queue again so they'll be overrepresented. If their matches take 10 minutes and Esper Control player takes 30, the Red player will get 3 matches in the same amount of time. That's not to say that there isn't fuckery involved, just that it's not that straightforward.

Sterling

El Presidente
I play mono-red (unoptimized) on the ladder and in regular play mode to finish dailies. If I had the wild cards, I would craft mono-w since it shits all over mono-r pretty nicely.

Well, I would have before WotS. I don't know what I would do now.
I think people overstate how well mono white does against mono red. games with elephant almost always go white's way, games without elephant that involve chainwhirler almost always go red's way, and then the rest of the games go either way. It's probably a bit of an edge for white, but it's hardly lopsided.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Arena entry barrier is very low, even if you want to play the competitive decks.
It's mostly about how to figure out how to play. When I started, you had like 5 keyword abilities (ok, plus xxxxwalk so +5), and a couple of special weirds abilities. Today, it looks like there's 25 keywords, plus two dozen abilities, and I have zero idea how they work or are useful...

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I think people overstate how well mono white does against mono red. games with elephant almost always go white's way, games without elephant that involve chainwhirler almost always go red's way, and then the rest of the games go either way. It's probably a bit of an edge for white, but it's hardly lopsided.

bo1

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
What? that's what I'm talking about. Individual games are often lopsided but the matchup isn't.

oh I didn't see "overstate", thought you were just complaining about rdw and ww.

they don't do better then any other 'good' deck, they are just far more time efficient, their 51% win rate produces results like 5 times faster than any other non-fast agro deck

they're in bo3 too but a good bit less efficient, so you don't just get a constant stream of agro, it's a fairly nice balance

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
oh I didn't see "overstate", thought you were just complaining about rdw and ww.

they don't do better then any other 'good' deck, they are just far more time efficient, their 51% win rate produces results like 5 times faster than any other non-fast agro deck

they're in bo3 too but a good bit less efficient, so you don't just get a constant stream of agro, it's a fairly nice balance
Yeah I was just refuting someone saying mono white just shitting on mono red. Both decks are fine on the whole even if I prefer other types of decks to aggro.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
WW and Mono Red games are decided on who casts whirler or elephant first in BO1 it's pretty equal with a slight edge to WW I think.

In BO3 WW with their blue splash is much better prepared than Monk red with their green splash so over all I'd give the nod to WW

Sterling

El Presidente
WW and Mono Red games are decided on who casts whirler or elephant first in BO1 it's pretty equal with a slight edge to WW I think.

In BO3 WW with their blue splash is much better prepared than Monk red with their green splash so over all I'd give the nod to WW
This is pretty accurate and is exactly what I was saying about Bo1. And people jam mono colored aggro decks in Bo1 for the quick turnover and the fact is they're not full of rare lands so they're much easier on your wild cards.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
This is pretty accurate and is exactly what I was saying about Bo1. And people jam mono colored aggro decks in Bo1 for the quick turnover and the fact is they're not full of rare lands so they're much easier on your wild cards.

well ya if you're f2p and wanna grind but don't have a budget for traditional ranked event deck (or the skill to be in the positive) just blasting through with mono red or white is your best bet for grinding by far.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

It is probably more even for an optimized RDW deck. I'm just talking about my experience.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Sooooo tired of quasi-random land in MTG:Arena. It's gotten to the point where it is absolutely useless for decktesting.

I do not believe that people can hit land drops every turn until 6 in Spark draft. I do not believe that I can draw 10 lands and 4 spells for my first 14 cards. I do not believe that I can get 12 lands in 6 spells in Izzet drakes where I am filtering my land drops. These things should be freak occurrences, not the norm.

Gruul is great on Arena and in my experience, sucks pretty hard in RL and I'm pretty sure that the land "smoothing" algorithms are to blame.

Sterling

El Presidente
well ya if you're f2p and wanna grind but don't have a budget for traditional ranked event deck (or the skill to be in the positive) just blasting through with mono red or white is your best bet for grinding by far.
Mono Blue and Mono Green are fine too, the whole point was having a single color manabase is much easier on the wild cards and having quick games lets you get a lot of reps in.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Sooooo tired of quasi-random land in MTG:Arena. It's gotten to the point where it is absolutely useless for decktesting.

I do not believe that people can hit land drops every turn until 6 in Spark draft. I do not believe that I can draw 10 lands and 4 spells for my first 14 cards. I do not believe that I can get 12 lands in 6 spells in Izzet drakes where I am filtering my land drops. These things should be freak occurrences, not the norm.

Gruul is great on Arena and in my experience, sucks pretty hard in RL and I'm pretty sure that the land "smoothing" algorithms are to blame.

Land smoothing only exists in BO1 it's just that you actually shuffle in arena and in RL you are more prone to unoptimized shuffling with clumps