MTG: Arena

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm loving this Momir's madness event. I'm going near infinite and have collected 10+ new mythics so far. I leaned my lesson with demonlord bezenlok and at 6 mana I pull a 5 cost if I have anywhere near an advantage. I I won several games were I was completely dead the neat turn but my opponent pulled a demonlord bezenlok un necessarily. So far my general strat is to pass until I have 3 mana so that I can maintain a high casting cost meta game. I also prefer 7 cost vs 8 costs and try for the 9 cost deal 3 damage card so prefer dropping mountains to blast stuff down

I'm sure you've had some great rng and done well, but it's not possible to go infinite in momir's.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I'm sure you've had some great rng and done well, but it's not possible to go infinite in momir's.
I said near infinite and when you factor in the quests gold you get on the side I have been so far. If you can consistently do at least 3 wins that's only 100 gold lost a round. I'm still at my ~4600 gold when this event I started and I've probably played 30+ rounds now. Great advice in the previous posts. Right now I favor double 7 drops instead of a fishing attempt at 8 unless I've got a real dominate board going.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
yeah, i think skipping 8 in Momir is probably a good idea.

winning the coin toss kind of sucks in Momir, means you need to skip three rounds in order to get to 9 lands. in that case, i think skipping rounds 2, 6, and 8 are the best. otherwise, just 6 and 8. i've won too many games by getting an early advantage to recommend skipping 1-3, tho this is possibly just because there are so many people who skip 1-3, allowing my little guys to get free early damage in...

overall record is 17-7 now, so i've slipped off a bit from my initial 10-2

i'm kind of bored with the event, but the ICR rewards so far have been too good to pass up.

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
Started playing grixis control in ranked plat. Dimir is my favorite guild to play but just can’t seem to get it to work consistently...which is probably why it’s not played a lot.

If I want quick fast easy wins I’ll load up RDW or even merfolk (amazing how many people lose to it) but Izzet drakes and grixis are way more fun to actually play.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
It's weird that i'm having a hard time finding this but we get our new ravnica in just over a week. When does ixalan, rivals and dominaria rotate out?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Started playing grixis control in ranked plat. Dimir is my favorite guild to play but just can’t seem to get it to work consistently...which is probably why it’s not played a lot.

If I want quick fast easy wins I’ll load up RDW or even merfolk (amazing how many people lose to it) but Izzet drakes and grixis are way more fun to actually play.

Once the new set goes live, I'm going to switch from Dimir to Esper. Bunch of good new Ohrzov removal spells that seem designed specifically to counter Golgari, which is Dimir's bane.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Damn, they haven't made many really great reasons to run Gates alongside the rare dual color lands yet, but this is an awesome new board clearer for any multicolor deck that includes red. Spoilered for size:
Screenshot_20190109-152152.png

Definitely going to go in a lot of Izzet and Jeskai decks, Grixis control too, tho Grixis mid-range or agro might end up hurting themselves too much with it.

Maybe Gruul late game once they get their big creatures out?

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Damn, they haven't made many really great reasons to run Gates alongside the rare dual color lands yet, but this is an awesome new board clearer for any multicolor deck that includes red. Spoilered for size:

Definitely going to go in a lot of Izzet and Jeskai decks, Grixis control too, tho Grixis mid-range or agro might end up hurting themselves too much with it.

Maybe Gruul late game once they get their big creatures out?

Tap lands are still tap lands. It's going to take more than just this board clear to make the tempo loss worth playing a lot of gates. I could be wrong, but I doubt there will be a competitive standard deck that uses a lot of gates.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Tap lands are still tap lands. It's going to take more than just this board clear to make the tempo loss worth playing a lot of gates. I could be wrong, but I doubt there will be a competitive standard deck that uses a lot of gates.

Yeah, you may be right. Keep in mind that the nice thing about this spell is you can custom tailor the damage amount to your deck... like how Jeskai Drakes loves Deafening Clarion because it's 3 damage won't wipe their drakes. Gruul Midrange could pair it together with the green spells that search the deck for gates early on and then forget about taplands after they get to whatever #1-4 (5 is pushing it) that doesn't take out their key big creatures.

I do probably have a tendency to overvalue new strategies tho, since usually when I try custom decks instead of netdecking I end up sucking. :p

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah, you may be right. Keep in mind that the nice thing about this spell is you can custom tailor the damage amount to your deck... like how Jeskai Drakes loves Deafening Clarion because it's 3 damage won't wipe their drakes. Gruul Midrange could pair it together with the green spells that search the deck for gates early on and then forget about taplands after they get to whatever #1-4 (5 is pushing it) that doesn't take out their key big creatures.

I do probably have a tendency to overvalue new strategies tho, since usually when I try custom decks instead of netdecking I end up sucking. :p

Yeah, precisely why I said I could be wrong. Magic cards are really hard to evaluate in a vacuum, it's all the interactions and synergies that really make a card shine, or not. I've gone into sets thinking wow this card has to be really strong and it's either too slow or too hard to setup or something. Remains to be seen but based on the cards we've seen so far I don't think there will be a standard competitive gates based deck. That being said, I can't wait to get my jank on with that card you posted and some glaives of the guildpact and guild summit.

Edit: Another point to a point you made about tailoring the damage. You can only increase it, you cant drop it again unless you destroy your own lands. So once you drop that fourth gate your drakes are dying to that spell. Not dropping lands to keep the damage under a certain threshold isn't ideal.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
183173_200w.jpg

Just three mana for this is great. Can bank up the exiled cards if you can't cast them right away, and you can even play lands out of the stack, unlike some similar extra-card-per-turn cards. And it has a built in way to hit the pseudo-Spectacle requirement. Rakados shaping up to be really good.

This seems like a really powerful set in general, tho. The meta is going to change a lot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
View attachment 189200

Just three mana for this is great. Can bank up the exiled cards if you can't cast them right away, and you can even play lands out of the stack, unlike some similar extra-card-per-turn cards. And it has a built in way to hit the pseudo-Spectacle requirement. Rakados shaping up to be really good.

This seems like a really powerful set in general, tho. The meta is going to change a lot.

I see a shift to enchantment hate next meta, gonna be hard to keep shit like this on the board.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Regarding Momir's event: Oh, you have a flyer and I don't? GG. Whole thing is blind fucking luck.